Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, only been around a couple of weeks and been registered here for even less time, but I'm doing all of my research like any person would -- which has now got me at a pause because I've got a question that I can't figure out what the "right" answer is. First, I know it varies person to person, but based on how everyone else has done with surgeries (if there are any post-op people floating around these pre-op boards!), what would be the better choice?

To choose between:

- Doctor A and Doctor B are both relatively close, so driving for follow-ups would not be strenuous.

- Doctor A's cash/self-pay price is $1,800 more than Doctor B's price

-Doctor A does offer a $500 discount for completing an information program first; their price also covers the hospital, surgery, surgeons, anesthesia, (basically all inclusive) -- and a full year of follow-up care

- Doctor A's price does not cover any additional lab work or the EGD

- Doctor A requires a psych eval. pre-op using their office's or my own psych (Already got the "go ahead!" letter from mine yesterday!)

- Doctor B's price covers the doctors, hospital, anesthesia, surgery, (also basically all-inclusive) -- and only covers follow-up care through the first 90 days post-op

- Doctor B's office said they will do a post-op appointment 1 week out and then 3 months out -- and if that 3mo out appointment is in the 90 days it's covered

- Doctor B does not require any psych eval for self-pay

- Doctor B's price also does not cover any additional lab work things

- Both Doctor A and Doctor B have a $200 consult fee that is included in their quote

-----

So as y'all can see, they are very similar. But part of me is really balking at the fact that Doctor B only covers 90 days post-op. Am I just being overly cautious, though? Is a whole year of aftercare really necessary? Maybe for a worst-case scenario, in which case, why not have it just in case, right?

Are those 275 days worth the extra $1.8/$1.3k?

I've worked hard on not seeing the glass as half-empty, but if something DID go wrong, since I don't have insurance, it would be in my best interest to pay a "little" more just to be safe, wouldn't it?

I know it seems like I've already made up my mind, but I honestly haven't. This will be a lot of money out-of-pocket to begin with and it really is my preference to make the best INFORMED decision that I can.

Thanks for any feedback!

how I felt about the office staff and most importantly the doctor/patient relationship would be a deal breaker too.

My doctor only offered a 90 day follow-up and I ended up getting billed for some of the tests that were supposed to be covered. I was also cash-pay and I paid extra for insurance in case I needed to stay in the hospital longer. When I actually needed an extra day in the hospital my doctor was such a complete and total tool about it that I just agreed to go home without using the insurance I had paid for. My initial consult fee was also $200. I went to the appointment at 3 weeks and my doctor was so completely rude, I never went to a follow-up appointment afterward. I never had a single complication and I didn't need any care that would have been covered by a longer follow-up time. Comparably, my plastic surgeon apparently also has a 90 day follow-up care policy, however I ended up having a complication that is going to take several months of follow-up, and I won't be billed for it. A surgeon who is not willing to ensure follow-up care for a patient to the full extent that they may need it is not someone that I would encourage working with.

My personal opinion is that the peace of mind provided by the extra money for an extra 9 months of care is worth the cost, especially since you are already paying so much out of pocket.

My doctor was Craig Morganthal in Jacksonville and while the surgery was flawless, I really would not reccomend a practice that limits you so significantly on follow-up care. Also, make sure you like your doctor. I really could have had a lot better care if my doctor wasn't so completely dismissive and rude.

I would be interested in:

--rates of leaks, embolisms, and other serious complications

--average excess weight lost by patients at 1 & 2 years post-surgery

--does the surgeon/his or her team provide you with detailed directions and support for after surgery -- none of this "eat whatever you want until you feel full" crap?

I agree with the comment above, I would base my decision more on which doctor and staff do you feel most comfortable with. Which one has better reviews and lower rates of complication.

@@Bufflehead @@Tanya Gif

Since posting this thread this morning I have been doing even more information digging!

Both doctors have very low complication rates! That was one thing I was sure to ask about, though I don't have the exact numbers in front of me at this moment.

I have also had a friend use a doctor in the same office as Doctor A and she really liked him, his staff, the whole shebang, and has not had any complications.

I think my mind would feel more at ease with Doctor A and his extended aftercare time. I know he's done way more surgeries than Doctor B as well so I feel his experience is much more refined, and he offers single-incision laproscopic surgery as an additional plus! (Assuming I qualified for it, of course.)

I know I have the tendency to over-think things, but it feels deserved in this case. But even after all the scrutinizing and researching my decision now will be the same one my gut told me initially. Doctor A is for me and I've scheduled an appointment to meet with him June 19th. (:

Thanks everyone who replied. I am sure I will have more questions as my journey progresses and I appreciate the advice immensely!

From what you posted Doctor A provides pre-op care/support and Doctor B doesn't. Am I correct?

Are either or both Centers of Excellence?

What kind of education do they provide?

What kind of nutrition education and support do they provide both pre- and post-op?

How many surgeries total have they performed? On an annual basis?

Are you in Houston? Your "Dr. A" sounds very much like my surgeon's program. I chose him based on a friend's rave reviews, and I'm really impressed with his program and his team's efforts to help me reduce costs wherever possible since I'm cash pay. I haven't had surgery yet, but so far I'm really happy with my choice. If you don't want names posted here, you can PM me.