Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi.

I have not had weight loss surgery yet but I've had a consultation with a bariatric surgeon and I am considering it.

I was wondering what types of lifestyle changes one has to make post-recovery.

I'm investigation Lap Band surgery as well but this type of surgery seems to require significant changes in lifestyle post recovery.

Any insights you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I am probably an anomaly as I don't really feel like I've made any major changes besides 1) I eat more Protein 2) I make healthier food choices most of the time 3) I drink WAY less alcohol, and 4) I can't drink anything carbonated. Basically my sleeve changed how much I can eat and my brain changed what I want to eat.

I don't track or measure my food. I drink with meals. I use straws. I eat dessert. I don't use MFP. I don't exercise. I take NSAIDS. I eat when I'm hungry and I eat what I want. I still do all the same things I've always done, the physical things are just easier (working, riding my horse, hiking with my dog, kayaking, skiing). I'm still a couch potato on rainy, dreary weekends. I still go out with friends on occasion, but I'm still a hermit at heart and would rather stay home in most cases.

But I feel great, I look good. My knee and ankle pain is gone and my BP is normal. After a lifetime of failed diets, I do consider this the "easy way". I'm not saying this way will work for everyone, just pointing out one way it can work.

I guess I should note that everything I posted above was from a long term/maintenance viewpoint. Immediately postop and until I met goal, there were definite struggles and changes I had to deal with....

Preop and postop diet restrictions (which I followed to a T), needing IV fluids for dehydration 3 times when I was sick, making sure I got in all my Protein, staying away from carbs, no appetite for the first 4 months, 2 months of diarrhea followed by a "lifetime" of Constipation (which is controlled by adding insoluble Fiber to my Protein smoothies), temporary intolerance to lactose, plain Water and artificial sweeteners, etc.

But these were all just "blips" on the radar compared to long term postop life.

Although I am past my first year now, I appreciate honest posts like yours and others who are further out than me. Every day is the same challenge of making good choices while finding that delicate balance that provides me with the best results. Your post encourages me to hang in there and just do the best I can and forget about the rest.

Every day is the same challenge of making good choices .

That may be the best description of long term post-WLS. i see this as Lifestyle Choices, not necessarily Lifestyle Changes.

I agree with what Kindle said above. I am 14 months post surgery and I chose the sleeve because I wanted to continue to live a normal life. I wanted to continue to eat many of my favorite foods and not have to worry about malabsorption, dumping syndrome, throwing up or any of the other side effects I hear about more often with gastric bypass and the lap band. I was able to reach my goal weight within a year and its amazing how certain foods don't even appeal to me anymore. I don't even crave soda let alone worry about overeating anymore. I think there's no perfect choice though. It takes research in finding the best choice for you. I didn't start out with a high BMI. I was 241 pounds at my highest at 5'7" tall. If I had a significant amount of weight to lose, I probably would have chosen the gastric bypass and dealt with the malabsorption and dumping. I don't understand the appeal of having to deal with Lapland shots/fills on an ongoing basis or throwing up if you eat too much. I really don't feel like I've had surgery at this point. I have a new "normal" which I quickly adjusted to. Best decision I ever made.

Edited by Bluesea71

The change is eat less, eat healthy, drink Fluid. But I have not found it too difficult. It does take effort though and preparation every day. The sleeve provides an excellent tool for doing this. food no longer controls me. I could not have made this change on my own. I have no regrets.