Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded March 16, 2015 and since then, I've had really bad upper left chest pain. The doctor said my band is really tight still just from the surgery even though I don't have anything in it, he won't fill it up either and says I'm just "restricted" but even drinking Water can sometimes trigger it. I've had x-rays, cat scans, upper GI, and the band looks OK and I don't throw up or anything. They suspected a lung infection since I have severe asthma and being on steroids helped ease the pain but by the next dose I'm in pain again. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

This isn't normal. You need IMO to keep pushing your doctor. At six weeks post-op there shouldn't be any swelling from the operation. Are you on normal foods now? Are you able to swallow them?

Yes, I'm able to eat solids and the pain hasn't really been associated with eating. It's just general even if I sip on liquids it can send a surge of left shoulder/chest pain. And it's usually associated with severe nausea. this is only my 2nd week on solids but this has been happening since full liquids.

Ok, I am not your doctor, or any sort of doctor at all! The following is neither knowledge nor personal experience! It is based on being an active member of what used to be a very busy lapband board for nine years (not this board).

Left shoulder pain, which is very common immediately post-op, is usually caused by pressure on the diaphragm. The nerve system which serves the diaphragm passes through the area of the left shoulder and so we get referred pain. After surgery, the usual cause is gas which dissipates after a few days.

However, a few people continue to get this and it can be severe. The causes which I have seen identified by listers in here are either the band being placed too high, putting pressure on the diaphragm or, in just one case I know so very rare, damage to the diaphragm during the surgery.

If you liked, I could work out some way of putting you in touch with an online friend with personal experience of this. If you wanted, you could send me a private message with your email address and I couid ask my friend to email you.