Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie with the jitters

My surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, May 7. Did anyone deal with lack of support when revealing their WLS decision? I only told a few people because of that lack. One co-worker even told me it was "an extreme" move.

I told many people. In general, their responses were either supportive or curious.

Did you tell them before or after your surgery?

Did you tell them before or after your surgery?

I told my family before and almost everyone else after.

My surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, May 7. Did anyone deal with lack of support when revealing their WLS decision? I only told a few people because of that lack. One co-worker even told me it was "an extreme" move.

How old are you??? Do what your co-workers say help you control your life?? It's your decision and maybe sharing with a close friend or family member is ok...it's really only you who can decide. Yes it changes you...but for the good!!! You will forever know when you are full...you will have a new tool....No..you can't pig out anymore and yes..you will have a doggy bag every time you go out to eat...check out the site...7 bites..on facebook...get used to the idea that you will be living differently...are you ready for that?? Also..one more suggestion....watch MY 600 POUND LIFE..you will see what you don't want for yourself...I didn't share a lot...for that exact reason...I wanted to make up my own mind and not answer a bunch of idiot questions!!

I'm 55 and have never, NEVER, been able to lose more than 5 pounds. I have a super slow metabolism. It was a co-worker who said my choice was extreme. She's an NP so I gave her comment (although she doesn't know any of my medical or family history!) more thought than I would someone else's.

Hi, my op is May 26th. I have only told my parents. I have had abdominal issues before and also removed my gall bladder, so people can think what they want. I've had to tell my financial advisor coz he sorts my medical insurance out and I did not get approved for the op and I'm pleading my case again this week. If not I will have to pay for it by myself.

I want to tell my best friend but not sure when. I'm nervous. I want to stay in my pumped up, positive zone because I know that this will be life changing for me.

Good luck.

I'm 55 and have never, NEVER, been able to lose more than 5 pounds. I have a super slow metabolism. It was a co-worker who said my choice was extreme. She's an NP so I gave her comment (although she doesn't know any of my medical or family history!) more thought than I would someone else's.

Of course....EVERYONE will have an OPINION...based on what ever understanding they might have of the surgery...there are so many misinformed people out there....BUT...they are not in your body...in your shoes...if you tell.....try not to make it a "what do you think ?" conversation...but assertively share this most important decision you've made FOR YOUR LIFE!! I am so much more healthy now...some things we fluffy folks know about our body's is private...so you don't even need to share the WHY....if they can't understand and want to "what if" you.............don't visit with them until it's done.....I have had some of those moments too.....like...I feel like I need to explain to the waitress why I didn't eat all my meal!! My husband just rolls his eyes...says...they don't need to know!! He's right!!!

We all have adjustments to make in this journey...I have dealt with self esteem issues for my whole life....now I am learning the tricks to being normal....the first year has almost passed...the excitement of the whole thing has calmed...but it's still in the forefront for me everyday....for the rest of my much healthier life!!!!

My surgery date is May 7, also! I chose to tell only my immediate family and one other person. My coworkers have been told I am having "stomach/digestive issue surgery." I have decided that other peoples opinions are not my business. and for the matter of it being "an extreme move," frankly, I need an extreme move. I have been dealing with these weight issues most of my life. I decided to ask myself, "how much worse does it have to get before enough is enough?" My knees and hips are killing me, the GERD/LPR is horrendous, urinary incontinence is embarrassing and high cholesterol that will need medication. For me, Ive had enough and I'm doing it. That being said, surgery is only three days away and I am a bit nervous... lol Here is where I will look for real support.

My surgery is May 11th! I'm only 21 so I only told my parents and my sister and my immediate boss at work. I did not tell my brother or my sister-in-law either or my grandparents. Maybe when the time comes I will, but right now this is what I feel needs to happen and I'm sure you feel the same! It's your choice who you tell!

@@peggums Hi and I must give you a huge THANK YOU for your post. Awesome advice... I also have chosen not to tell family, friends or co-workers. Right now, this is my journey and my personal business. I'm only telling my son, significant other, and 1 nurse that is a very close friend and I trust her. I kept her lap band a secret for 2-years now. I feel the same as what you guys previously stated. I don't need the opinions, theory or stories of people that they know who had issues or hate their lives after weight loss surgery. I really don't care to explain my decision like I am asking permission...

My surgery date is May 7, also! I chose to tell only my immediate family and one other person. My coworkers have been told I am having "stomach/digestive issue surgery." I have decided that other peoples opinions are not my business. and for the matter of it being "an extreme move," frankly, I need an extreme move. I have been dealing with these weight issues most of my life. I decided to ask myself, "how much worse does it have to get before enough is enough?" My knees and hips are killing me, the GERD/LPR is horrendous, urinary incontinence is embarrassing and high cholesterol that will need medication. For me, Ive had enough and I'm doing it. That being said, surgery is only three days away and I am a bit nervous... lol Here is where I will look for real support.

It's completely natural to have abit of "nerves" before a big surgery...but don't let your imagination go too far...you are in very safe professional hands in the OR..they want you to do well too!!! The events that occur after you are asleep assure your safety..the anesthesiologist is your #1 ally as well as the OR nurses....and of course ,your Surgeon..the PATIENT is #1 and is taken care of 100%...it's a team...they care!!

Good for you as to your attitude!! Your choice is personal..I get the fact of being in need of help...and let me share that ALL those obesity related issues will go away!! It's amazing what all that extra weight can do....I needed an "extreme" move as well...........even after the discomforts of the first few days,I'd do it again....Be strong...this time it's ALL ABOUT YOU>>>I was told that..had a bit of trouble with the concept of taking care of ME finally...but once that sunk in....I accepted that I was so important ,too!!! gotta be a bit "selfish" now!!!