Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 month post op and overeating freaks me out!

Hello i know this may sound dumb considering i know that my tummy is the sz if a banana. But i am now free to open up my diet and having problems. Ok so when i was drinking shakes all day or one meal daily im good. When trying to eat 2 meals 1 shake im hungrier still eating mostly Protein lil bit veges, but like last night i ate a ground turkey lettuce wrap. They are awesome but felt like i was still hongree, so i made a quickee 4 oz shake in blendar with choc soymilk. Tastes like a frosty! So a few min it started trying to come bk up, i took my aciphex and drank some Water and i was fine. I think i want to stick with 2 shakes and a meal with Snacks. Taking Vitamins over the counter so does anyone think the bariatruc vitamins prevent cravings? Been dealing with that as well. I am learning how to read the signs but dont want to get malnourished either. Im full very fast get hongree quick and previous food not yet digested i guess is why i over eat without meaning too. So this is my 1st post good luck you guys. Thnx Sheila

No, I don't think Vitamins help with cravings so much, but you still need to take them forever. You probably already know that. Are you taking an acid reducer? That will probably help with the hunger issue. But then again, it is an issue you will have to eventually come to terms with. Stop, think about your tummy when you're hungry. Is it full? Is it sated? Sated is what you want. Full is too full. Full is when food is in your esophagus...not good. If you are sated, then tell your brain to shut up. You have head-hunger. Go about your business, keep your hands busy, do anything but make sure it doesn't have to do with food. KEEP BUSY! Find a new hobby, something you really like, so when you know your tummy is full, go to your hobby.

TRAIN your brain! It takes hard work to retrain the brain, but you have to do it. Try planning your meals and Snacks, and as some do, maybe write down all you are eating and when. Be accountable to this plan.

You may not be ready yet for a full day of regular foods, so go back to what is comfortable, for now. Slowly progress, as YOUR body dictates. You really have to think about every part of this program, and think ahead of time, so you are not left without a proper meal/snack when you do get hungry.

Also, you may be just thirsty. Thirst often presents itself as hunger. Think of when you last had liquid, when you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Thirst is a SYMPTOM of dehydration. Keep drinking throughout the day, to keep ahead of thirst AND hunger!

Good luck to you on your new adventure!

Did you have the Protein shake right after the lettuce wrap? For me, drinking anything after I eat is a recipe for disaster.... and against guidelines probably for that reason! The stomach can only hold so much now.

I could not tolerate lettuce until about six months. You are at the point now that you are going to discover how much you new tummy is now the boss of you. And think - small banana - not one of those big giant ones.

Wow all of you are absolutely right! Today is a food day 2 Protein Shakes 1 8 oz- 1 4oz .

Thank you so much for your kind responses i have tried other forums and nobody ever responds to me :( makes me even more depressed and anxious Lol! yes liannatx i did have it after lettuce wrap i was craving sweets. I will grab a small shake instead of indulging in whatever my husband is stuffing his face with. So i learned my lesson for real this time. God bless you

I am just trying to stick to 5 oz of the Protein 4 times a day and plenty of fluids in between along with Jello and sugar free pudding in between those. I get hungry in between but when I drink a little the hunger subsides for a little bit. So in all I am getting the 64 oz of liquids plus the 60 grams of Protein as well. I am 10 days post op and just about ready to add purees. But I am still waiting for the dietitian to get back to me. I just don't want to push anything that will interfere with the stomach healing.

Wow i need to find a way to get all the liquids in like you. You got it worked out girl, i do the puddings and Jello both sugar free. And popsicles ! With a couple waters.. I need to chng it up :)