Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seeking Friend: Approx. 08/15 sleeve

Hello

I finally saw my primary care and requested surgery. I am 37 years old, 255 lbs and 5'4". My BMI is 44 and I have Asthma. I haven't ever been diagnosed with High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, or anything else, but she just did all my labs and I am hoping that doesn't change. I am not diabetic either. What I am experiencing though is joint pain. Mostly my hips. I am afraid carrying this weight has ruined my lower body for life. I have always been thick. Through out highschool I was about 175, but a whole lot of it was muscle. I gained steady after highschool and am currently at my heaviest.

My insurance requires 3 months (4 visits total) with my primary, loss of 6 lbs, and a recorded food log before referral to the surgeon. My 4th and final visit will be mid July, and I am optimistic that my surgery will take place in August. I am anxious and wish I didn't have to wait. So far all I've done is read and research. I've had several surgeries so I don't have fear of it. I fear over eating afterwards.

Sorry for the novel, I am just looking for a friend who will be going thru this around the same time as me.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by HopeandAgony

hi There! I'm Charity! I am 46 days post op and down forty lbs.

I am 5'5 and my high weight was 210. I too have always been thick, but it didn't start interfering with life until the last ten years. I'm 37 years old.

I tried several things and nothing ever worked. This is a big decision and life has changed so much! I am lucky to have great support at home! There are tough times when you may want something you can't have, but the results are worth it. And the fact is that after you make it through some phases and learn how to eat for nutrition, you will not have to deprive your self again. I have really expanded the kinds of foods I can eat. There are really good food out there that tastes great and they are good for you. It's pretty exciting.

I miss Taco Bell sometimes, but then I look at the mirror or get on the scale and I know I've not only improved my life (I feel so much better now every day), I've extended it.

Good luck and start the count- down eh!

Hi Charity. Thank you for replying! Congrats on your weight loss so far. It's so good to hear that so early in your journey you have come to realize food is fuel. That's my downfall. For me still food is, a lot of times, a reward. I don't eat unhealthy which I believe is why I don't have high cholesterol. I eat entirely too much (for example I could eat an entire head of steamed broccoli and tell myself it's OK because it's healthy, along with a large portion of boneless skinless chicken). UGH! This is why I am so afraid of over eating after surgery. I don't eat bad foods......sigh.

I haven't been here for a few days because I read thru the complication section and got a little scared. There are some really poor outcomes and of course some fears crept in. I have had 7 surgeries so I am not fearful of the surgery itself, but reading the complications was an eye opener. I just need to be prepared on that front. Perhaps the delay that has me so frustrated is exactly what I need to be as ready as I can be.

What made you decide it was time? In addition to my hip pain I am just steady increasing in size. Never down, always up. Walking is ok, but if I put any speed to it my hips go numb and throb for days.

Can you share what you've been eating and portion sizes? Exercising? What you've found hard? Thanks!

Edited by HopeandAgony

Hi, I'm going to have surgery in May or June and I am looking for a buddy. I'm 5'2" and my high weight that made me decide to have the sleeve was 325lbs with a BMI of 58. I'm down to 312lbs and just finished my classes, so I'm waiting for approval and a surgery date.

If you would like to buddy up, let me know!

Hope and agony I'm also 37 with 3 kids my current weight is 282 I started 2 months ago at 289 hoping to have surgery august into September I have to lose 28 lbs go to 3 classes plus dietition and psych evaluation. Its a 6-7 month process here as long as I get the green lights to keep going. Its been hard to keep on track. I'm not a big eater my weakness is at night. I'm trying to figure out ways yo cut sugar and fat as to that's the diet afterwards and am finding it hard go do. Would like to be ur weight loss buddy. And go through the process together if u want

My name is Katie I'm 37 years old live in Pa. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 kids 18,15,9. My current weight is 282. I'm 5'3". My bmi is half of me at 50% now that I seen that I'm 2 whole people. Damn. I started my sleeve journey 3 months ago hoping for surgery in august or September. I'm going through Geisinger in Wilkes barre I have to lose 28 pounds I've lost 7 so far and its been really hard I'm on a 1500 calorie diet LOOKING FOR A,WEIGHTLOSS BUDDY not a lot of support. I don't know a lot of people and family is spread out every where. Looking for someone going through the same things and just people to talk to

Hi everyone! Thank you all for replying. It feels good to know I am not alone. I don't plan on telling anyone except my parents, my sister, and my husband. Not that there is anything wrong with people knowing, I just don't feel like it's their business. That being said, I am glad for this website.

Ktmillen, we've got a lot in common! Was your surgery recommended or did you elect it? I have to lose 6 lbs...such an odd number. I can't say I've put a ton of effort in yet (like you have). I've focused so far on eating slower and eating less. I've also started to focus on Protein. I am aware of how much I am eating, how much I need, and paying attention to what are good sources (egg is my favorite so far, I am not a huge meat eater). I've looked into Protein shakes and am going to start those soon so it's not such a culture shock later. I feel like 6 lbs is something I could literally lose overnight depending on the time of the month. I have another appt in a week and a half (number 2 of 4). The Dr scale had me at 5 lbs less than I thought I was so I hope that doesn't bite me in the butt at this next appt.

As far as your desire to cut sugar & fats, I've had to do that in the past when I've had some bad sugar addictions. The easiest way for me to do it is focus on cutting carbs first (completely). If I do that for 2 weeks I can then incorporate cutting fat the next 2 weeks. It's not easy. But it's a step process for me. I am in a pretty good place right now food wise.

I've been having some anxiety over complication fears. Have you had any of this? I have had seven surgeries in the last 15 years and this one, because I am choosing to do it is scaring me a little bit. Last night I was so worried I started thinking I was changing my mind. Your message couldn't have come at a better time. My Dr does seminars on the process so I am definitely going to one. I just need to stay strong and positive.

Edited by HopeandAgony

Hi, I'm going to have surgery in May or June and I am looking for a buddy. I'm 5'2" and my high weight that made me decide to have the sleeve was 325lbs with a BMI of 58. I'm down to 312lbs and just finished my classes, so I'm waiting for approval and a surgery date.

If you would like to buddy up, let me know!

Any update on surgery date yet? Are you excited? Congrats on your lose so far. How are you doing it?