Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone considered making other major changes to their appearance?

I know this may seem trivial to some but it is a major decision to me. I have long hair, all the way down my back. I LOVE IT, but I have used it to hide behind while I have been fat. Almost a "I may be fat but I have great hair-look at that" kind of thing. It has SERIOUSLY been about the same thing as a comfort item for someone else. It has LITERALLY been the only thing I have loved about myself and the only thing I felt I had that made me "feminine." Given this surgery is a major life change and we are all about breaking out of our comfort zones, I am SERIOUSLY considering cutting it ALL off. A new, short and sassy look. Has anyone done or considered a major change like this? I'm only 7 weeks post op and don't want to be making rash decisions. But I also want to create the new and improved me.

I totally understand the impulse. But I couldn't get rid of my hair if it were long and gorgeous. Every time I've cut my hair I've been mad at myself. Probably because its so fine I can't do anything with it. There are some short styles I love but could never get away with.

My changes have included whitening my teeth, wearing makeup for the first time in ages, dressing nicely and having my colors done.

Make yourself happy. But I'd kill for awesome hair :-)

Same here. I've thought about getting a choppy shag, but am rethinking it since summer is coming up. It's just so easy to twist or pull all my hair back in the summer. So, the choppy shag might be something I do at the end of the summer. As for a short hair, like a pixie cut, it is something I would NEVER do again. The growing out stage is horrific and takes a lot of time styling everyday.

I am six months out and didn't want to cut my hair in fear of having some fall out. I didn't want short and thinning hair. Luckily, I haven't noticed any clumps falling out. Since I have long, thick, course, and wavy hair, it is normal for me to lose a lot of hair in the shower.

I have noticed that I am doing more styling with my hair since surgery. Before, I was a wash and wear kind of girl. At least now I feel an effort and desire to do some styling with it before I head out the door.

I had surgery 11 months ago and started with hair just past my shoulders and every hair cut have gone shorter and shorter since. I too was hiding behind my hair. Now I have a pixie cut and LOVE it! Not for everyone for sure though. As you mentioned, try not to do anything rushed. Try it bit by bit as growing it back is not as easy.

Thanks ladies! Fat_free I am so relieved I am not the only one who feels as if I was "hiding." I know it sounds so strange to people but it really is the only way to describe it. My hair is coarse, THICK and has a natural wave. I am not overly worried about the stage where I lose some because there is so much of it! Idk hubby loves it but it will always grow back.....

I am doing the opposite. My hair was pretty short at pre-op and my red hair has been trying to turn white and grey for a while now. So, I decided to embrace the gray ( I am 63) and let it grow to shoulder length. It is curled at chin length now and looking dull and mousy even though it has stayed thick and healthy all the way through this journey. I am one of the fortunate few who did not have Hair loss. So, I decided last week that maybe I could color my hair to match my eyebrows. It came out a real light blonde, and I love it. I have had to change my make-up and i need to adjust the colors I wear. I am wearing make-up more often and the replacement clothes that I am buying have more detail - not so many t-shirts.

Go you Miss Mac! The way I look at it this is our opportunity. Most of us hid in one way or another for so many years it's time for us to take the spotlight! Glam it up! Live the life we have let just pass by us for so long.

Its only hair. If you don't like it, you can always grow it back.

Do what will make you happy. You are worth it. I think a new hairstyle may give you some added confidence.

I had long hair, but i decided to chop it off. I now have the shortest hairstyle I've ever had in my life and i absolutely love it!! I have a very short bop ???? and i honestly wont ever let it grow long again. Maintenance for short hair is just so much easier.

I DID IT! It's not as short as the picture I took in with me but it's short! AND I LOVE IT!!!! Not a twinge of regret