Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 39 about to be 40 years old. I thought I could lose the weight on my own because I lost like 50 lbs like 5 years ago. I was about 300 lbs then. Then I met this guy and he moved into my home and messed up my life. I guess I was depressed or whatever. I gained the weight back and ballooned up to 371( I have never told anyone my weight before).

A couple months ago I went to my Dr. And found out that I was diabetic. That was my breaking point. I realized that not only do I not want to be fat but I want to be healthy and alive. I called the Cleveland Clinic in Weston, Florida and made an appointment and went through the pre approval process and got approved. Now here I am and my surgery us scheduled for April 30th.

Congrats on making one of the single best decisions of your life! I was sleeved 4/6/15.. Lost about 25 lbs total so far (including 3 wk preop liquid diet) and ALREADY I feel so much better! I was like you.. Because I lost 50+ lbs on my own before I thought I could do it again but frankly...I just can't and I can't risk gaining it all back like I did before. I have chronic health issues that I know will be relieved with weight loss and it can't happen quick enough. I'm ready to be HAPPY again!! There's a light at the end of the tunnel! Good luck .. You can do this!!

I'm also 39 with 40 right around the corner. Thank you ladies for reminding me what life as a yo-yo dieter is really like. I've lost @ 25 lbs in 3 1/2 and months and was beginning to second guess my decision to have surgery, thinking that I could lose the weight on my own. But if I could, I would have years ago. I need this surgery! It'll give me the extra push and motivation I need. :-)

I had a similar situation... I had lost 65lbs by working out and light dieting.. I was going to the gym 6 days a week. I moved and started a new job and gained it all back and then some... I was at my heaviest last summer at 285 lbs. I was then diagnosed as diabetic and I made the decision right then and there that I was going to make a change. Its been a long process- but my surgery is in just a little over a week! I'm on the pre-op liquid diet and its hard...but I need to do this for myself! We will do great! GOOD LUCK!

Tagaroo your story sounds just like mine. In 2012 I worked so hard, lost 45lbs and was leading a very healthy life. Then I started a new job in 2013 and here I am 2 years later at my heaviest yet at 250lbs. I gained 65 lbs since I began the new job. My bmi was a 39 when I started my 6 months of visits and now I'm cleared by insurance and my surgery is exactly one month from today. My pre-op diet doesn't start for 2 more weeks but I have already lost about 7 lbs so I'm daily preparing myself for surgery. I gradually cut out coffee, alcohol and most carbs to just prevent myself from going into shock! Best of luck on your surgery and hoping for a quick recovery!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches