Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op- Prescriptions for pain/etc? and living by myself

I am scheduled for my surgery this Tuesday. I am stocked up on Water, chicken boullion and Jello. My friend will be spending the afternoon with me after she brings me home from the hospital. But outside of that I will be on my own the majority of each day. I am wondering what to expect? Will there be prescriptions I need to fill right after surgery? From all that I've read I should be able to cope without a nurse. I have a friend who will be stopping by every day for anything I need. I do have a small dog and a dog walker on stand by if need be. I realize everyone is different but I'm just trying to get a clearer picture, no one seems to talk about this much.

I was fine. I actually got my prescriptions filled in advance. You should ask your doc. If not get them at the hospital pharmacy if they have it.

I was well enough to walk a block or two after a day. All I had to deal with was exhaustion general weariness

I live alone too. I spent the night in the hospital because that's how my surgeon does it. I had filled my prescription for pain meds ahead of time. I had a friend bring me home and I was fine. I walked around my complex, and then once I was off pain meds for 24 hours I drove to mall to walk because the weather had gotten rainy. I had lots of people I could call if I needed help, but I didn't really need any. I'm going back to work on Monday, 2 weeks post op. Good luck!

Oh you two have made me feel so much better! Thank you. Were the prescriptions expensive? What were they?

My doctor gave my husband written prescriptions and he got them filled after he got me home and settled in.

I was able to move without pain, I wasn't sick at all and I could take care of myself if I needed to. I don't think you should anticipate any problems. But it is good that someone will be checking in on you daily.

I also live alone and while I spent three days in the hospital, I drove myself home from the hospital and didn't interact with or see anyone for the next week. I stopped on my way home and picked up a prescription for liquid hydrocodone, which in terms of cost is usually cheap on most insurance plans because it comes in a generic version. I actually didn't end up needing it. I had narcotics the first 24 hours after surgery and then I stuck to liquid Advil.

You will be completely fine on your own, just have your bed all made up and comfy, the tv remote nearby, and things within easy reach. Before surgeries I always make sure my house is clean and work is done so that there is nothing that can annoy me while I'm trying to recover. The first few days are fairly miserable. You will likely be exhausted, sick feeling, Water hurts going down your throat, and you may potentially be emotional. A lot of people have done it entirely on their own and you can too. Just remember that time passes and soon enough you will feel normal again.

I live alone. I had the band to sleeve revision so was expecting a harder recovery. I made sure house was clean beforehand, had liquid Tylenol on hand, Protein Shakes, Jello already made and Soup. Get your prescriptions filled before you go home. I didn't get any filled - didn't need them. Recovery was Very Quick. Only took the dog out to go to the bathroom. It was winter, if I had it now I would have taken her for short walks. Had people calling me to see if I needed anything but I didn't.

I just got home yesterday. Like the others Its been uneventful. My surgeon gave me the liquid pain killer script ahead of time because not all pharmacies stock that, so ask about it if you think your pharmacy might not. Mine ended up taking 6 days to fill the prescription. I also got a prescription for nausea med while in the hospital. I couldn't down the childrens liquid tylenol they gave me on day two. I got all weepy when I gagged on it. I've never been one to be able to take cough Syrup so this liquid stuff sucks. I belive I got in my Protein shakes today, got in plenty of liquid too. Either water/flavored water/hot tea/chicken broth. I've constantly had some kind of drink by my side. I was able to get out and walk twice today too. Still feels like I've done a million sit ups, and everything that I've swallowed produces some kind of pain, but not that bad. Its just very noticible. Looking foward to tomorrow. As its true.....everyday does get better.