Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complete unfill...now what?

Wary that I'll go nuts and eat everything and gain 50 lbs in the next two months.

Also, I don't know of my new insurance will cover bariatric services so that I can get fills going forward.

Just need some advice to stay sane.

Hoping it's temporary? Try to get back to the newbie mindset. Pretend you were just banded and have the post op protocol. liquids, then transition to soft foods then regular foods. Are you going to get Fluid back in eventually or look into a revision? Why did you have an unfill? Good luck. I've heard that it's a difficult time but NOT impossible to stay on track after an unfill.

Unfill BC my band closed off entirely and I want able to eat or drink for 4 days. Lost 16 lbs from dehydration. Hope to start getting fills again in June, pending that my stomach heals and insurance covers them.

I would go a different route to the one suggested above. If your band is empty, you may still have a residual bit of restriction just from the band. Going back to,liquids would do nothing to help you. You need to use whatever help you can get from the empty band which means dense Protein not liquids.

And if there is no residual restriction, there is no point in liquids either! My suggestion would be to find a programme to help you, like WeightWatchers or the 5:2. Anything you can stick to until you start getting fills again.

I don't want to scare you, but I just had a complete unfill last September. I was banded in 2002, lost all the weight I wanted to lose and had been stable at same weight for at least 5 years.I figured I should get the band checked by flouroscopy because it has been awhile..even though I was not really having any issues. Probably adjusted to the usual band quirks..which turned out my band had been too tight and I started to stretch my esophagus. Doctor recommened a complete unfill and wait 3 months. I was refilled from 2cc total to only 1cc. I had 2nd fill a month ago and now at 1.25cc.

I quickly gained weight..it was crazy..even with little food, my body just back on, 10, 15, 20..all the way up to 50lbs where I am stuck now. I really have to fight to stop the weight gain. I think our bodies go from an abnormal state to a new abnormal state. Calorie restriction and calorie burning that "normal" humans can lose weight don't seem to be working.

Do EVERY thing you can to not overeat and get in lots of exercise. Watch calories like crazy. I drink mostly Water other than Protein drink or milk that does in my Protein Drink. Count calories and stay as low as you can. I know that if I was not watching every bite, I would have packed on another 50. I am at least not back where I started which is another 85lbs up. I am eating and working out to the point I should be losing but my body is just maintaining. Very frustrating. Figuring my body is just trying to adjust to its new set point and will eventually start slipping back down again.

I am hoping your unfill jourmey goes smoother than mine. I am so depressed to be this size now..even though I am not back where I started, it's alot of extra weight to suddenly cope with after years of being the same weight. I felt "fat" when I was up 3-4 lbs from my usual weight!! Sigh..wish I had THAT problem now instead!

Seriously get into "battle" mode..do not get complacent about food and get moving!!

Hi I was seriously considering having an unfill and managing on my own! but I am scared now! I think my band is a bit tight and for the past week Ive either been on liquids or being sick which isnt good! During this time im no losing any weight! So I figured it might be best to unfill the band and have a couple of weeks of normality. I have had the band almost 6 years lost 20 kgs and manage to keep this off. I would like to lose a bit more... Im in a dilemma, I know if I get the Fluid out ill eat eat eat because I can.... any suggestions anyone?

Just to reassure you, not everyone gains weight after complete unfill. all of 4mls was taken out of my 10ml band on 27th April, and since than (even after holidays) I weigh exactly the same!!!

Just A quick update. I've regained 26lbs in 6 weeks. However, part is that was due to my gum closing and moving and not reopening so lack of exercise is a big co tributing factor. How to get a fill and back to the gym by the end of the month.

Hi I was seriously considering having an unfill and managing on my own! but I am scared now! I think my band is a bit tight and for the past week Ive either been on liquids or being sick which isnt good! During this time im no losing any weight! So I figured it might be best to unfill the band and have a couple of weeks of normality. I have had the band almost 6 years lost 20 kgs and manage to keep this off. I would like to lose a bit more... Im in a dilemma, I know if I get the Fluid out ill eat eat eat because I can.... any suggestions anyone?

Hi, just an update, I got 1.2mls taken out which was sufficient to allow me to eat and drink everything, I never put any weight on and after two weeks I got .5 added back in so I'm still .7 less than I was originally. I am still able to eat and drink everything, not having any heartburn or sickness and I have put on around 1kg in all this time. I am really happy with how things have gone and happy I didn't just take everything out, I am going on holidays in June and again in July and so I will probably wait until august to add any additional Fluid back in and hope I can maintain this weight in the meantime.

I just had to have 2.2 taken out of my band and I'm really concerned because now I feel there is no restriction. I was at 9.5 and doing really well. Started to feel like my portions were getting a little too big so I went in this past Friday and got .5 which proved a bit too much as I had trouble swallowing the Water they gave me so .2 came out and that seemed to be ok...while I was on liquid and mush food. As soon as I ate solid food on Monday I had acid reflux and chest pains. So back I went yesterday. She took out the 2.2...or rather it came out on it's own she said I was very irritated (the band I guess).

So this puts me I guess around 7.6. I'm scared. I don't want to start gaining again. I did have it in my mind to follow the post op plan - liquids to mushy to solid over the next week and then be able to go back in and get filled again. I've not done as well I've been doing since I first had my band in 2009! I never lost more than 50lbs. I gained 20 or so back when I didn't have insurance and couldn't get fills. I finally get on a roll and BAM.

I was also considering revision from band to sleeve. I think I will move forward with that. If the band can't be filled enough to be effective then it's useless to me. Right? I also need to have my gallbladder out apparently. I haven't really had a bad attack but they did an ultrasound of it and the Doctor said it would have to come out eventually. I'd rather get it all done at once...which is why I have been waiting trying to decide if I want to try for the revision. I have to go through the program (6 weeks) and THEN my insurance may or may not cover it. I also have to spend $300+ to go through the program. But maybe it's worth trying.

This happened to me! I was too tight and having GERD so bad so she took out 4cc in June and i gained almost 30 lbs, went in last Friday and told I can't be filled till I have another upper GI tomorrow to see how my esophagus looks, it was very big wide stretched out! And if it is still the same then I have to look into other options, this has made me very sad mad and depressed, none of my size 8 jeans fit and my weight came on in different places! I'm praying tomorrow 8/13 I can be filled! I was 172 and now at 198! I did try to watch what I ate and go to gym but to no avail!

This happened to me! I was too tight and having GERD so bad so she took out 4cc in June and i gained almost 30 lbs, went in last Friday and told I can't be filled till I have another upper GI tomorrow to see how my esophagus looks, it was very big wide stretched out! And if it is still the same then I have to look into other options, this has made me very sad mad and depressed, none of my size 8 jeans fit and my weight came on in different places! I'm praying tomorrow 8/13 I can be filled! I was 172 and now at 198! I did try to watch what I ate and go to gym but to no avail!

Hi! Sorry to hear this happened to you as well. It sucks! So it appears you have only been unfilled for less than 60 days? Did you have an upper GI that determined your esophagus was stretched out? My doctor insisted on three months before they started the refill process. That improved my esophagus, BUT I think it will be easy to fall back into the habits that stretched it out. I am not back where I was when too tight of course. BUt I can see myself getting back into a habit of overeating and thust most likely stuffing my esophagus.

I am still 50lbs up from when my complete unfill happened last September. I started getting refilled in December. I did lose about 8-9lbs recently due to split with my boyfriend. Lost that in a week because I was too heartbroken to eat much. Lived on my Meal Replacement shakes because I didn't have the desire to chew. Not recommended way to lose weight but I was happy to see the scale finally drop. But my eating habits have slipped since then quite a bit and I have not been as diligent and disciplined as I was and since gained back about 5lbs+. Soooo depressing to see myself in pictures look like this. This is still 85lbs down from my pre-surgery weight, but this really sucks. I miss my smaller clothes. I hate being achy again!

I don't think I will ever really get back to the "green zone" that will allow me to easily lose the weight like I initially did. I really hoped it would just prevent me from gaining any further weight. I think my poor body has just been confused this past year now with the unfill and refill. I believe I am going to have to be like any mere mortal and really work hard to lose this weight. Hoping that the band will assist with that on its own is not going to happen. I am determined to lose the weight and get back to where I was and then pray I keep it off.

I hope your results are better than mine. My mexican surgeon thought me getting refilled after only three months was too soon..but my local doctor at Kaiser was okay with it after he did another upper GI and esophagus was improved. This whole mess has been very depressing!

Patty

Yes upper GI was done and determined that so another one tomorrow! Hope I get back on track! I feel so depressed and ugly! Worked hard these last four years to be a size 8 and was only 20 lbs from goal

Yes upper GI was done and determined that so another one tomorrow! Hope I get back on track! I feel so depressed and ugly! Worked hard these last four years to be a size 8 and was only 20 lbs from goal

I hear ya!! I miss my size 8's too! I recommend cutting your calories waaayyy down. Drink lots of Water...stay away from caloric beverages. Count calories honestly. IT is soooo easy to eat way more than you think you are. This diligence probably helped me not gain back double of what I did. I should have been losing weight on what I was restricting myself too, but at least stopped it from being worse. I feel like a tank right now. I am happy to be keeping off 85lbs, but gaining back 50 of the 135 I lost in total just sucks!!!

Best of luck tomorrow. Keep us posted!

I had my band unfilled 12 days ago and I'm up by 7 pounds! I've had my band in for almost 5 years.. and its crazy how you can put on weight with very little food. .my esophagus was stretched also!! .I was at 6cc..now nothing. .I hate it! I'm going back on Wednesday to see f I can get a fill..