Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is everyone doing 3-5 years out?

I have been a member on this site since before I was "sleeved"... almost 4 years! I have not checked in for months! It feels good to come back and see how everyone is doing and read how excited all the newbies are!

So basically 95% of the time I forget I had WLS. I have been hovering with in 10 pounds of my low weight. I go back and forth, like a normal person does. No complications except low Iron occasionally. My portions are more "normal" But my metabolism has picked back up and I am fairly active.

STILL THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF :-)

How about you? How are you doing 3-5 years out?

I'm still thinner than what I was before the surgery. :) Glad to have you back and hope you stay.

How are you doing 3-5 years out?

@@FishingNurse

@@SLEEVE of Steel

traveling incognito are we ;)

so happy to see you B)

glad you continue to do well :)

never doubted you for a minute :)

4 years success plus many more to follow :rolleyes:

how great are you!!!

keep up the good job :)

i am 3+ years PO

healthier, happier than i've ever been!!

still cute as a button!! :lol:

no trouble with 64+ oz Water a day :)

no drinking 30 minutes before i eat

no drinking during meal (sometime a sip or two)

don't drink for 45 minutes after i eat

follow all the other good stuff too!!! (for the most part!!)

i am not perfect (hard to believe!!!) :D

not always enough Protein

too many carbs sometimes

don't exercise enough

i do fluctuate 3-5 lbs :huh:

i am a little over goal

134.3 lbs :)

but not 235!!!! :o

i WILL get back to goal sooner than later

i want that 5 lbs wiggle room too

wow honesty is all that it is cracked up to be LOL

OMG i spilled my guts out to you

guess you have that effect!!!

hope to see more of you

even though i'm seeing "less and less" of you!!!

kathy

Hey, good to see you poke your head back in. Glad you continue to do well! I too eat what I think are small, normal portions. I am so thankful for my normal life, every day. Sometimes I wish I had more restriction, but as long as I can continue on like I am, I'll be happy.

However, I never forget I have a sleeve, or that I've made a permanent change in lifestyle. My weight and dietary habits are pretty much lurking in my thoughts. From the time I get up in the morning and thank God that I'm of a normal weight and get on the scale to confirm that it's still true, through every meal when I'm forced to think about what I'm putting in my mouth. I have not succeeded in changing my habits to the point that they are a natural part of who I am. I think it will always be forced for me. I don't care, though. I think there are people who have never been obese who prevented it by using the same behavior. But I bet they are never as grateful for the opportunity to be thin as I am!!

Congrats on your continued success!

Michigan Chic you got it right, being thankful is a huge part of this, no matter whether or not you have problems.

I'll be 6 years out at the end of the month. I am really having back problems and have had 2 surgeries since last Nov. I am finding it a lot harder to exercise and it drives me nuts. I would have never thought before that I would ever miss exercising.

It's a struggle every single day. There are things that tempt me everywhere I go. Sometimes I give in to a binge and it takes me almost a month to lose what I gained in one weekend.

It's a struggle all right. It's one I am willing to fight for the rest of my life though.

I'll be 6 years out at the end of the month. I am really having back problems and have had 2 surgeries since last Nov. I am finding it a lot harder to exercise and it drives me nuts. I would have never thought before that I would miss exercising.

It's a struggle every single day. There are things that temp me everywhere I go. Sometimes I give in to a binge and it takes me almost a month to lose what I gained in one weekend.

It's a struggle all right. It's one I am willing to fight for the rest of my life though.

I hear you. It's hard. Just curious - how much do you eat during a "binge"? I will usually indulge a little on weekends, but count those calories, and I know I can easily consume 2500 calories in a day. I am sure I consumed more on Easter because I ate candy and high calorie foods, and did not count them. I think I'm like you in that it comes on way easier than it goes off. I think I gain a pound with every 2000 additional calories eaten, and lose a pound for every 5000 calories burned. I know all the scientists will say I'm nuts and don't know what I'm actually consuming, but I really think it does work like that for some of us.

I hear you. It's hard. Just curious - how much do you eat during a "binge"? I will usually indulge a little on weekends, but count those calories, and I know I can easily consume 2500 calories in a day. I am sure I consumed more on Easter because I ate candy and high calorie foods, and did not count them. I think I'm like you in that it comes on way easier than it goes off. I think I gain a pound with every 2000 additional calories eaten, and lose a pound for every 5000 calories burned. I know all the scientists will say I'm nuts and don't know what I'm actually consuming, but I really think it does work like that for some of us.

I'll be 6 years out at the end of the month. I am really having back problems and have had 2 surgeries since last Nov. I am finding it a lot harder to exercise and it drives me nuts. I would have never thought before that I would miss exercising.

It's a struggle every single day. There are things that temp me everywhere I go. Sometimes I give in to a binge and it takes me almost a month to lose what I gained in one weekend.

I really could not tell how many calories I ate at my friend's house. She is sleeved and never eats real food. She eats candy and chips and every other junk food imaginable and has managed to maintain at 117. She was sleeved a week after me.

When I go over there, I know it's a dangerous place. She is always baking Cookies or brownies. She loves to bake. She has a drawer full of different candy bars. We seem eat a bunch of chips, and then something sweet. Then she wants salty again. Usually when I go there, I am in a bad mood and know exactly what I am doing but don't care at that moment.

@Oregondaisy When do you think that is going to bite her? I can gain weight on 4 bananas a day. (Love my naners!)

@@Oregondaisy I added up my calories on Easter, and it was 3000! Yikes. I know with certainty I can easily weigh 300 pounds again in a year. No problem. All I have to do is eat candy and cheese cake and pick all day. So glad I am able to get right back on my usual diet after a day. That is something the sleeve either gave me or helped me learn - that one bad day or meal shouldn't become reason to continue. I sure hope that never changes.

@Oregondaisy When do you think that is going to bite her? I can gain weight on 4 bananas a day. (Love my naners!)

I don't think it will hit her. She has been sleeved almost 6 years just like me. I am really not sure why she doesn't gain with all the junk she eats, but I know it's not healthy. She has osteoporosis. She's a size 4 and has been practically since she got sleeved. She didn't even follow the post op diet. She had chicken noodle Soup 3 days after surgery when she was supposed to be on Clear liquids. She never exercises. She is very non compliant with everything she is supposed to do, but she never gains weight. The only thing I can think of is that meat has quite a few calories but then so does a whole sleeve of Oreos.

Her daughter may end up with problems. She's only 33 and now she is pregnant again. She only gained 11 lbs with her first pregnancy. She eats healthy food plus junk food, where her mom only eats junk food.

I am unlike both of them. I eat right and do well as long as I can stand it, and then I have some sort of binge, gain 4 lbs and go right back to trying to lose it. And the vicious cycle goes round and round.

Ouch! One, it probably has already hit her. You just can't see it and she's not being monitored. If she has osteoporosis I bet she has other issues behind the scenes. The body can make up for things but not forever.

It's always good to hear from you veterans that continue to fight the good fight, even years after surgery. Your stories are one of the most important benefits of BP membership. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us!!!!