Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just about 10 months post op- how can i jump start the scale again?

Hi all- I have had a major stop of the scale. i am able to eat much more now than i could three months ago, and even though i'm eating about 1100 cals a day, the scale is not moving at all.i have been at this same weight for about 14 wks. i don't know if this is just a HUGE LONG stall, or if i am back-sliding.

i want to jump start things again so i can lose the last 20 lbs and reach goal by my one-year anniversary. i KNOW i need to go back to shakes, broth, SF Jello, yogurt, etc. anybody have any good suggestions further than this? the weather in my area has finally broke, so i am able to get back outside and walk again, that should help too. thanks!

@@mi75 I'm newly sleeved, but I have read many post here on BariatricPal and some of the seniors would ask:

How often do you exercise?

What exercises do you do?

Are you meeting your Protein and Water goals?

If you are sedentary most of the day you might not need so many calories. Some people have sit-down jobs. You don't burn too many calories just sitting.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure some bariatric hero's will chime in with suggestions.

from what I have been reading a lot of people do the 5:2,2 days liquids the back to food.all Protein foods no carbs.

Back to the basics, as others have suggested. And then others have said adding extra carbs for a day or two kicks things into action. Everyone is different, you may have to find a different plan for you. Let us know how you do!

@@mi75

I'm right with you at 10 months. The weight loss has slowed down.

I have been working with a bariatric vet who is more than a year out. He is a body builder. I have learned so much from him. I seem to get great advice from the vets that my Dr's and dieticians don't seem to have.

I'm not knocking my bariatic dieticians. They are very busy and have the standard instructions for all patients.I have had to do some adjusting to my diet that my dietician could not help me with. I have added a Protein pre workout drink. Protein Gummies or liquid fuel while working out. After work out Quest bar. My Protein is above my dieticians standard. But it is what works for my body. I'm feeling so much better.

The weather is perfect for getting out. Keep moving. The standard diet is great. I have also herd great things from the vets forum on dropping weight as you are further out from surgery. Fine tune what works for you.

Edited by jenn1

I had my 9month checkup last week and the tips they gave me for this stage are to limit eating to 3 small meals and 2 Snacks max and if I get hungry in between to increase my Water to fill me up or distract me. They also said that I cannot rely on feeling full to tell me when to stop eating because it will be harder and harder to feel the restriction. And to keep increasing the exercise.

I am 10 months out and am still losing .5 to 1 pound a week but am just below my original goal. Now I want to figure out how to eat to stay at this weight and not lose too much or gain back any weight. I guess it's all trial and error. i do not eat bread, Pasta or rice and have 3 meals plus a snack at night. I try not to eat "prepared" foods and follow the eat the Protein first rule. I usually only have a little room for veggies and maybe a bite of potato. At night I have apple pear tea and one madeline cookie as a treat. I go for quality over quantitity

Gym Gym Gym Gym

Work with a personal trainer. They are worth the $$$$,

all good advice. thanks to all!

@@mi75

How often do you exercise?

What exercises do you do?

Are you meeting your Protein and Water goals?

If you are sedentary most of the day you might not need so many calories. Some people have sit-down jobs. You don't burn too many

This.

1,100 actually seems a little low to me if you are working out regularly. It is counterintuitive, but sometimes you need to eat more to lose.

Try mixing it up a bit. Average 1,250 for a week combined with working out and see what happens.

however i have not been working out. not like i should for the past few months. as a result, the intake that i have in calories is not being burned appropriately. i know this is the main reason the scale isn't moving.

taking responsibility and recognizing my own slips, i am getting back on track. i have been avoiding joining a new gym, however i think that this current scenario is motivation to RUN to the new one in town and give it a try! i am also thinking that after a couple weeks of adjusting calories and working out, if the scale continues to stay still, i am going to have an appt with my nut to see what she can suggest.

This is all good advice, glad I checked in to this post. Tomorrow is my 1 week out from surgery but want to keep on top of what to expect and how to mitigate hurdles. I remember reading one person's sage advice who had gone through stalls;

Protein Protein Protein

Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate

Move Move Move

Enjoy the day, it's a gift.