Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

drinking after surgery

Can someone - hopefully someone that loves liquids - reassure me that they were OK with not drinking them the way they could before VSG? My mind cannot get over this. Being able to really drink a liquid (I only do Water and coke zero, nothing caloric) is a far greater pleasure to me than food could ever be. I cannot imagine not being able to drink down a glass of water. I can't get my head there enough to book my surgery!

@@mspal Do you have a nutritionist? What about your surgeon....have you discussed this with them? Also, there are tons of threads in many of the forums (mostly the pre-op ones) that talk about the drinking. From what I have witnessed from friends who have had the surgery, they do struggle at first with liquids, but once the swelling from the surgery is down, drinking is no problem. If there are some veterans on the boards this morning, I am sure you will get some good advice today. Best of luck to you!

Like you I love my liquids, I'm not going to lie @ six weeks out its a bit of a struggle to get 64oz of liquid a day. It is an adjustment no more guzzling its a slow and steady sip. Do I miss soda yes, do I miss gulping an ice cold Water yes, do I miss the 50lbs I've lost so far, No!

It took a good while but at this point I can drink certain things very well. Sweet tea, snapple, juice etc. I'm an oddball in that Water just doesn't sit well. Something about changing it to tea or something like that makes it easier to swallow. Don't worry about it too much. As with every other major adjustment, the ability to drink will get easier and level off eventually. Your new way of eating and drinking will become your new normal.

It'll be harder to take it down quick, but you have a one up on is non liquid people - you won't get dehydrated! Continue loving your liquids... I wish i did

I have also always been a big Water drinker. I always have my insulated glass full on my desk at work, and have one that I keep full at home, a great habit that is serving me well now post-op! I am only 3 weeks post-op, but I am able drink pretty normal. It seems like Water and liquids go through pretty fast.

I drink a Protein drink (mixed with water 12oz) while getting ready for work. A glass of water or 20oz Vitamin Water Zero between 8:00 and 11:00, another glass or two after lunch, and I pretty much already have my 64 oz fluids in before I even get home from work. I don't even bother tracking my Fluid intake, I know it is 80oz or more daily.

I won't lie - I miss the guzzle ability...but buying a size 6 off the rack and my bones not hurting, and being able to keep up in daily activities, staying active without really trying far outweighs the guzzle....

I was always a big "gulper." I'd not drink regularly, but would down a whole glass at a time periodically throughout the day. Had a hard time wrapping my head around not doing that at first.

I'm not quite 4 weeks out but pretty quickly after surgery, liquids weren't a problem for me. By the 4th day or so, I didn't have to sip anymore. I can't down an entire glass at once, but I can take several large "gulps" or mouthfuls with no problem. I can get down 8oz fairly quickly. Once I even got down 16oz in about 30 min without paying attention and had no issues.

Without a doubt, I'm better hydrated now than I've ever been and I don't even feel like I have to try to do it.

Bottom line is I would definitely not let the fear of losing you ability to enjoy liquids sway your decision.

Good luck to you!

Thank you so much! You're all so encouraging! I did search and I've read a ton, but mostly people are talking about sipping and getting down their Protein. From the responses here it seems like it may have to do a lot with your pre-existing attitudes/practices about liquids pre-surgery.

Who knows, I may be more than a sipper than I imagine? I generally drink an ounce or two at a go (I know this because I'm addicted to drinking out of my straw mug that I got with my last c-section, and it's labeled with ounces). But I also look at it and think that I knocked back around 4 of these in a row after that surgery (I was so dehydrated!).

I am a drink junkie and I am finding I'm not as needy for drinks in post op. And I can tak pretty good sips.

Edited by star8282