Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all Veterans......

To all the VSG vets out there..I am curious about your daily routines. What is a typical Breakfast, lunch, or dinner? How many "drinks" did you have on New Year's? What did you eat at your best friend's baby shower, Christmas, or Thanksgiving? I want to get a true idea of what life is like after the "honeymoon" phase. Of course I don't expect everyone to answer all of those...but hoping for a variety of answers from several veterans.

Life is pretty normal. I just follow the rules. I do what I did to lose. I have to watch what I eat, and I track it on my fitness pal. I don't think I had a drink on new years eve, but only because I didn't go anywhere. I have an occasional drink, and it doesn't make me drunk like they say. If I go to a party, I'll allow myself to eat what there is. I don't stress about it too much. I loosen up a little on the weekends, and decrease calories through the week to accommodate that. I can eat what I think most people would see as a small normal portion. When there is an abundance of different foods, I'll have a bite or two of them all. I've learned a taste is good enough.

I can eat all types of food, and nothing makes me sick. I still drink a Protein shake every day for Breakfast, and have a small salad with chicken for lunch, and then Protein for dinner with vegetables. I have to work hard not graze, but sometimes I do. I try to make sure it's protein when I do. I tend to eat more calories after work than I do all day. Maybe not the best plan in theory, but it's working for me. I think that's the message - figure out how to succeed, and then do that!

Basically, I suspect it is no different for me than it is for my thin friends - I watch what I eat to maintain my weight. Good luck to you.

To all the VSG vets out there..I am curious about your daily routines. What is a typical Breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

I eat Protein first. My meals are about 2-3 ounces of Protein and a couple ounces of green veggies. I don't eat typical (western ideas of typical anyway) breakfast foods and that is fine. I don't miss them. Breakfast today will be a spinach and London Broil salad with sesame ginger dressing. lunch is chicken breast and asparagus. dinner will probably be tuna salad with a poached egg and broccoli. I'll have an apple as an afternoon snack and some almonds and beef Jerky at some point too.

How many "drinks" did you have on New Year's?

I don't Celebrate on New Year's, or ever drink more than about a glass of wine on a very special occasion, maybe twice per year. That's exactly the same as before the sleeve, so that isn't a change for me.

What did you eat at your best friend's baby shower, Christmas, or Thanksgiving?

I allow myself three special occasions per year where I eat whatever I want: Christmas, Thanksgiving, and a family birthday. And yes, my birthday counts as a "family birthday." Special occasion creep is dangerous for me. My best friend's baby shower is the sort of occasion where I would help myself to a healthy snack if it were offered (nuts, cocktail shrimp) but would not eat anything that isn't on my usual plan, such as crackers or cake. For Christmas, I had a couple of bites of everything that looked appetizing. I stayed away from bread and salad because they tend to fill me up very quickly and I didn't want to waste space on them! I had roast beef, brussels sprouts, Yorkshire pudding, green Beans, and pecan pie and ice cream -- but just a little of each.

My eating is very different from before my sleeve. I stay low carb. I am not someone who can "eat anything in moderation." If I start eating the "c" foods: chips, Cookies, crackers, cakes, etc., then I just crave more and more of them. So I stick with eating mostly lean meats and green veggies. The difference is that for the most part, I am happy and satisfied this way. It never would have worked for me before the sleeve.

I feel great. I don't have any sort of digestive issues. I have tons of energy and focus more on what I can do with my life rather than what I am going to eat next. It's a wonderful way to live.

I followed the good ol "Protein first, then veggies, get all my fluids and take my vitamins" rule until I reached goal. I then added in more fruit and whole grains and still lost another 10 pounds. My weight has stabilized and I've maintained for 7 months. And Like Michiganchic, I basically just eat like a normal thin person. Nothing bothers my sleeve so I pretty much eat whatever I want, making good, healthy balanced choices 80-90% of the time, and Desserts, sweets, bread, Pasta, and alcohol the other 10-20%. I can't tell you what I typically eat, because it's different every day. I do drink a large 24-32 oz smoothie everyday with 30-40g Protein. This helps me get a big chunk of my protein, fluids and Fiber all in one so I'm free to eat a variety of other stuff throughout the day. I eat when I'm hungry, usually 5-6 times/day and never overeat.

I don't track or measure my food, I don't count calories and I don't obsess over the scale. I nibble on most everything at parties. I ate a shit ton of sweets and all my moms great home cooking over Christmas. Yes, I gained weight because of it, but just went back to protein/veggies basics afterwards and lost it again...pretty much what my thin friends do after the holidays or a vacation. I go out with friends and order whatever looks yummy. It's just now I always have leftovers to take home. I have an occasional glass of wine or cocktail. Alcohol doesn't affect me any different than preop, and unfortunately I am NOT a lightweight...it takes a LOT for me to get tipsy, so I really don't bother drinking much anymore. I was pretty much a functional alcoholic before surgery, so this is probably the biggest change.

This has actually been a very easy transition and a lifestyle I can easily maintain. Sure, lots of changes from a nutritional standpoint, but I don't feel deprived in any way. I look back now at all the crap I ate and think Yuck...no wonder I felt so lousy for so long!

@Bufflehead..I think what I am so stressed about is hearing you all talk about eating so healthy...and knowing how hard that is for me. It is so hard to imagine a surgery that can make me eat the way you all describe.

I am 3 years out and follow basic rules. That does not mean I never indulge in a drink or a dessert but moderately. On a day to day basis I don't eat junky food.and I eat "small".

It is hard to imagine but observe a"fit-trim" woman you know. WLS aside, fit women eat like this. Day to day pretty controlled but enjoy some indulgences too.

I chose to wait till getting to goal tho because I had so much to lose I didn't want to risk getting to goal.

@Bufflehead..I think what I am so stressed about is hearing you all talk about eating so healthy...and knowing how hard that is for me. It is so hard to imagine a surgery that can make me eat the way you all describe.

We don't always eat so healthy. We or I have treat days. But you only have so much room in your sleeve so it will be a challenge to maintain good health if the rules on the whole are not followed most of the time.

I have an issue with carbs..I love them and they go down smooth for me and I feel no restriction when I eat them. Now give me a piece of Protein and it is restriction. So when I eat properly I have no issues with how much I eat. But I do treat myself now and then.

But mostly I am a good girl and have a couple Cookies..Not a bag of cookies...It is all about how much you want to succeed and remain so.

This will always be a struggle to maintain my weight as it has been most of my life. No one said that has had this surgery that it is easy. It is not.. It is an entire retraining of how you eat food and how you view it. As a nutrition factor and not a pleasure factor...

It is a lifetime struggle and has been so it will continue as such.....At least for me... :)

You're right, the surgery won't do that AT ALL. The mental preparation and your commitment plays more of a role in your success (or failure) than the physical surgery. Have you ever watched my 600 pound life? It's actually quite easy to fail. But it's also easy to succeed. Sure, you will have daily struggles with food choices, emotional battles and cravings, but it's easier to win these battles with a tiny tummy to help. Knowing what your weaknesses are and learning how to move past them is something you have to do. It's easier for some than others....most WLS patients get professional counseling and therapy to help with the mental part.

I never thought I wouldn't want to drink to deal with life's stresses, but it happened. I now find satisfaction and happiness from things other than food and alcohol. I know it's a corny motto, but the "eating to live, not living to eat" really can become a new reality.

@ Cowgirl Jane

I love this perspective....I will definitely start paying more attention to how my fit family and friends eat. Never thought of it that way.

I don't know if I'm a "vet", but at a year and 1/2 out, and in maintenance for the last 9 months or so maybe more than many here, so here goes...

A typical Breakfast for me is one egg with a slice of cheese on it. Eat that almost every day. If I splurge and go out, I'll do an Egg White Delite or other breakfast sandwich and remove half the bread. lunch is often whatever leftovers I have on hand... 1/2 c of chili or other home made Soup or stew. dinner, much the same as lunch. I do a scoop of whey in my coffee every morning for a "latte" and often a PowerCrunch or Quest bar in the afternoon. Sometimes 1/2 an apple or Cutie orange. I am far from perfect in my choices! "slider" burgers are a perfect size for me, chicken finger, yes! But all of it in moderation! Drinking? Yeah, I do. My social life has kinda blown up with new confidence! Typically one or 2 glasses of wine or mixed drinks 1 or 2 times per week. Occasionally more, but it's a lot of calories and I still have to watch that! What do I eat at celebrations? Whatever I want in small quantities! Bite or 3 of cake, sure! A cookie, yes! A half dozen, not so much! They say sleeves don't "dump, but mine does if I binge on sugar. It's a good deterrent! I'd say I eat Protein first, what I like, how I like it, just in very small quantities. I exercise typically 5x per week, at home on a stationary bike and add a few crunches and push ups for tone. I weigh once per week. No more! Never have in this process as I didn't want to get "scale obsessed". I don't log anymore, (though I did religiously while I was losing), but return to logging if I creep outside my goal range of 135-145 pounds.

Edited by bikrchk

My warning is there are plenty of non obese people who are NOT fit. Also, realize that women eat way less to stay trim so be sure you look around at people who are similar to you.

I think this is one reason that so many more women are obese than men - we think we can eat full meals and stay trim. As a mid life cowgirl, I have lots of very fit galpals and they are very light eaters - my best GF eats less than me... seriously. that is what it takes for her to stay trim.

This has been a huge shift in mindset for me.

@ Cowgirl Jane
I love this perspective....I will definitely start paying more attention to how my fit family and friends eat. Never thought of it that way.