Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Hubby has zero facts and won't even consider TJ.

Quick background - I was banded in 2009, had three kids afterwards (weight loss helped me regain my fertility) and a major slip during the third pregnancy. Two months after baby was born the band was removed. I was 20 pounds from my goal at that time.

Six months later and I'm 20 pounds away from my PRE-BAND weight :/ I know it's my fault. I realize I'm an emotional eater I get it - but boy did I love my tool and I used the crap out of it! My husband has said he understands as well and is fine with me getting the sleeve. My insurance won't pay and the only way I can figure out how to afford the sleeve is to go to Mexico. I researched on here, read a TON and finally braved the conversation with my husband - he wouldn't even let me get into the facts before adamantly saying no. The word Mexico freaked him out enough that he wouldn't let me say anymore.

So, help, I want to know your experience. Let him hear it from someone else that this isn't the back alley coat hanger procedure he has in his mind. Than I can send him the link and he can read it on his own from others who went there.

Thank you!

I've been to Mexico twice for surgery. Once for plastics and once form y gastric sleeve. Both experiences were incredibly positive. I received top-notch care. Just like in the US, some surgeons are better than others. Some are more reputable. Some offer more services. Some have more accreditation and affiliations. Some offer more pre and post-op support. You have to do your research to decide which is best for you. But to across the board dismiss all Mexican surgeons or surgical practices in Mexico is just ignorant. The surgeon I chose was in Newsweek as one of the top 15 Bariatric Surgeons in the world. There are truly world class surgeons in Mexico.

Both times I traveled to Mexico, I felt 100% safe. I had no qualms about walking down the street alone or any of that nonsense. Tijuana is almost indistinguishable from the US. There's a Burger King or Office Max or Walmart on every corner.

If you can get your husband to listen to you, I would have him read through some of the longer posts on these forums. The Obesity Control Center thread has several long, personal, step-by-step accounts of people's trips to Tijuana. Maybe that would help him see that there is nothing to fear. And definitely assure him that you will do your research and make sure you choose a high quality surgical team!

My wife is same as your hubby. Has no facts and has done no research. I'm going anyway but I can only get comfortable with a handful of surgeons and facilities. You have be very careful in the selection process. I like the Corvala at hospital angeles combo but he is more expensive than most. Don't let cost be your prime criteria or you could end paying a lot more in the long run post op.

The initial impression of TJ from close ones is what are you nuts? They will kidnap you, botch the surgery, etc... Isn't TJ where they harvest your organs and sell them ?

It takes a little time, patience and FACTS!

I don't know where these perceptions come from. I felt 100% safe in TJ..... Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful and accommodating. The facilities I went to were all very clean and well maintained. As I said before, the streets are like any street in the US... all the same stores and restaurants we are used to seeing around here.... Office Max, Walmart, McDonald's, Burger King, Starbucks, Applebees..... I am sure there are less safe parts of town, just like there are in any reasonably-sized US city. But the parts of town where most of these hospitals, clinics, and hotels are located are very upscale.

I think it was the drug cartel violence prevelant in the not to distant past in northern mexico including TJ. I think that was around 2009. Since then I understand things have cooled down in TJ and they have a new police chief. However I am not so sure about Juarez. Sounds like Juarez is still very dangerous and narco trafficing prevalent.

Update!

Hubby is onboard. Not doing cartwheels but he trusts my judgement and said if I can figure out financing that he won't stop me. He knows how much this means to me and how much better I felt about myself when I was doing so well with the band.

Yay!

So, next question, financing? Who did what?

Don't worry.

After your last post, they'll be in touch.

So, next question, financing? Who did what?

I was able to borrow against my retirement account. Not withdraw from it, since that would incur fees and taxes. This was basically a loan through my retirement company that let me borrow the money with my retirement as collateral. The best part is that I am essentially paying myself back the interest and the interest rate is really low anyway.

I put my deposit and plane tickets on a credit card, which I paid off in full within 3 months when I got my tax return. I used my entire savings for the bulk of the surgery cost. I had been saving for two years for a new truck. Instead, I am 100 pounds lighter and still drive a 16 year old ford! No regrets at all. If I hadn't already had that money saved I would have started a savings account ear marked for surgery. I'm not big on buying thing I can't afford, even if it means delaying the purchase....Interest and fees can kill you if you're not careful. Guess that's why I have an 824 credit score ????.

But like JamieLogical found, there are some creative financing options out there that aren't too bad.