Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous! Surgery 2/23

Hi All,

I'm getting sleeved tomorrow and I'm super nervous about it! My surgery is at 11:45 am. I'm very concerned about how im going to feel after the surgery. I've heard so many horror stories about people not being able to drink or keep anything down. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated!

Everyone different but I had no nausea, no gas pains, etc. My surgery was 7:30am, I spent most of the day sleeping on and off. I had some spasm like feelings in my stomach but by the evening I was up wandering the halls of the hospital. I had incredible nurses who were right on time with my pain and nausea meds(really didn't need them but I took them). Next day had a leak test and was given Water, broth, etc.

I was sent home with liquid Tylenol with Codeine which I only used to sleep, no pain.

Good luck!

Everyone's experience seems very different. I had what I'd consider a very easy surgery/recovery, and it was still tough. Be prepared for some significant pain and discomfort. The pain killers in the hospital made me much more comfortable and able to sleep some. For me the worst part was not being able to drink anything until after the leak test. So that was about 24 hours. I brushed my teeth about 15 times during the day and night and sucked on the swab. But man was my mouth dry. I didn't have gas pain like some people report. My pain really felt localized to my stomach itself. sleeping in the dumb hospital bed was very difficult and was glad I was only there 1 night.

Walking - I started walking about 1.5 hours after surgery. The wing of the hospital was exactly 1/4 mile if I walked all the way around, so I started at 1 lap, and by the end of the day I was doing 3 and 4 lap stints. Day 2 I actually felt worse and walked less distance. Day 3 I was walking more than day 1. Just took it slow and didn't have any issues. I started riding my exercise bike before day 7 and started lifting light weights around day 20.

I didn't have any issues drinking or keeping things down. Day 2 I drank 32 oz of Fluid. Day 3+, 64+. Part of this was experimenting with what sat well on my stomach. Mott's Light Apple juice saved me. Anything with dairy did not sit well the first few days but now is fine. Cold Water also didn't sit well.

I was only nauseous once for about 5 minutes. Dry-heaved twice.

Even though I read all kinds of experience articles and thought I knew what to expect, in retrospect I didn't. Things I learned - use the pain meds until you are comfortable without them. Especially at bed time. Try different liquids and different temps to find something that you can drink. IMHO, be prepared for significant pain/discomfort and be thankful if you don't get it. Also remember its only a couple days of discomfort and will get better each day.

Was it worth it? I'm confident it will be, but I'm 24 days out and stuck in a stall, so right now its frustrating. I'm sure I'll get through it, but watching the scale go down is sure more fun...

Not everyone has a difficult time. Perhaps stop reading the horror stories and do what you can to stay positive. I had and continue to have a very easy time of it. I had an easy surgery. Woke up in recovery having to pee and was able to sit up in bed by myself. I was surprised to realize I didn't really have any pain. It felt like I had done a really vigorous workout the day before and my abs were sore, but nothing I would call pain. I was given the option of the bed pan or bathroom and once they wheeled me to the bathroom door I could walk and go in myself. The nurse's laughed at me because they said I practically ran to the toilet! I didn't need any pain meds in the hospital even though they offered the morphine pump. I was given ice chips in recovery and once in my room I was started on liquid Protein and fluids. I was able to slowly sip from the tiny medicine cup. After that things were a breeze. I walked on the floor. In fact I was peeing so much they disconnected the IV once they realized I didn't need to morphine. They left it in until discharge, but at least I didn't have to drag that stupid pole around everywhere. My doctor keeps his patients for 2 days but I was asking to go home after 1.

I had no gas pains, nausea, spasms or anything. Zero pain. I didn't even bother to fill the prescription for pain meds when I got discharged.

So stay positive and believe you will have a successful surgery. If I could make it with an extremely high BMI , you can too.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I am the day after you, I TOTALY understand. I am trying to visualize a positive, comfortable outcome and think of all the things I have to look forward to. I am browsing clothes in smaller sizes on ebay, shopping for a new scale today, hitting the drugstore for Biotine mouth spray and a few other things. Best of luck to you, its going to be great!

I was sleeved this past thursday on February 19th 2015. I was up and walking about 3 hours after surgery. I did have some nausea but no vomiting. My nurses were very good at staying on-top of my pain medication and nausea medication. I slept for most of the first day. The second day I had my leak test and after I passed that I was allowed to drink Water then my broth, Jello tray came. It takes a while to get down small amounts of water....be patient. Your not going to be able to drink like you did before surgery. It seems like all I do all day long is sip something to drink. If i drink too much at one time I do feel like I am going to throw up. If this happens I just stop drinking for a short time and start over again. I did have gas pains and they to me are worse than the actually pain from surgery. The only thing that will help that is to walk, walk, walk. Walking will help more than anything. I also had my nurses bring me hot packs to put on my shoulders when they started hurting from the gas pains.

Overall my experience has not been as bad as i thought it would have been. I would do it all over again. Just be patient, take your time and sip on fluids, walk as much as you can, and you will be just fine.

Good Luck!

I am sleeved tomorrow as well. It is nice to see how others did... I am praying for a uncomplicated surgery! Scared nervous and mostly excited to start this part of my journey! Wish us luck! M

I am sleeved tomorrow as well. It is nice to see how others did... I am praying for a uncomplicated surgery! Scared nervous and mostly excited to start this part of my journey! Wish us luck! M

Good luck tomorrow! I'll definitely check in on you. God bless.

Good luck to all of you tomorrow!!! Huggggs & prayers :-)

Good luck! Everyone is different. I was very nauseous and threw up as soon as I woke up from the anesthesia, but really didn't have much gas at all. I was able to walk immediately after getting to my room, and was able to drink the next day with no problem, and went home by 5. Only took pain meds once, after I came home, and it was after my baby jumped on my tummy. What I do recommend is some chapstick, as your lips will be super dry after surgery.

I will be sleeved tomorrow too-- 2/23/15. I am very nervously excited about pain and doing this on my own. I'm trying to stay positive. Hugs

Everyone is different I have heard so many different stories to where I am just like I will wait and see for myself....I tooooooooo am having surgery tomorrow the 23rd at 12:30 p.m.....Good luck to all of you guys that have had or will be having this procedure done.

Hi everyone!! I remember 7 months ago where you are! the wk before I swear I was having all kinds of thoughts! from OMG I will be skinny again! to what the hell am I doing?!! lol..yes I had every emotion an feelings all over the place! my tummy was turned inside out it was a good thing my last 48 hrs was liquid Protein Shakes period. but I got myself under control the night before I had a firm talk with myself deep down I was going thru this no matter how nervous I was. I had already decided I was doing this. so I calmed down went to bed a descent time got up next morning I didnt have to go in till 10 or so that morning. I slept good. I was a peace went to check in..got to preop got all prepped talked to all drs ready to go in ended up waiting longer he of course was behind. so the longer I waited the more nervous I got. it was just nerves. they gave me some things in IV calmed me down an baby they came an got me I was thumbs up all the way into OR!! I was soo happy! when I woke up I had gas pains in shoulders. tummy outside incisions were sore but managable. no feeling sick, I did have hernia repair so yes I had spasms when I tried to sip. so that didnt go to well so I just slept it off the first 4 hrs. I got in my room a few hrs later an after 4 hrs I got up I was awake enough to stir around. ended up not drinking much that evening. thats why I stayed in another day an night. I needed the IV fluids. if you feel you need xtra time hooked up speak up! I told my surgeon I needed to stay hooked up to fluids since I could sip by mouth. sure enough it was no problem. everyone is differant. get some sleep keep us posted. dont assume you will have problems take it as it comes then deal with an work thru. its soooo worth it! I just posted pics tonight. hang in there! your on your way to a new you!! keep us posted everyone that is having procedures done ! when you feel up to it! BEST WISHES!! rest! :)