Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can I eat instead of cake after 1 month post-op?

Hi everyone!

So my birthday is on February 27th, that's actually 6 days after my first month surgery anniversary.

Obviously I can't have cake because of all the sugar and flour and food coloring, but I also don't want to spend my birthday without anything to put a candle on and Celebrate around. You only turn 29 once, am I right?

I found this recipe for raw, vegan brownies that seem like the next best thing, but my nutritionist said no honey and these have some maple Syrup on them, which is kind of similar. Here's the recipe by the way:

Also, I don't know if I can eat ground cashews or any kind of nuts; my diet booklet doesn't specify on this matter.

So please, help a sistah out!
Any recommendation, suggestion, angst and/or commiseration is welcome :D

Someone posted a recipe for Valentines Cheesecake on the board a couple weeks ago. This might be a good substitute? Do a search in the forums for "valentine cheesecake" and you should find it.

Also, not sure if you are familiar with Quest products, but they post recipes on their site. I saw one the other day for some kind of red velvet dessert.

That recipe sounds delicious but I definitely would save it for when you're further out. It seems way too challenging to digest. Not too mention that it must have about a billion calories.

try Quest Nutrition recipes. They have a lot of recipes with their Protein products that look fantastic. I've made cupcakes with their Protein powder; they were a little dry but only because I didn't have one of the ingredients the recipe called for and tried to substitute (fail on me)

I was able to eat cake but very small piece. But after having the band tighten I couldn't do much bread or cake with out pain.

Just gotta watch sugar though to.

My birthday is the 28th and I will be two days shy of four weeks out so I am watching this post carefully. My family wants to go out to dinner and I have no idea what to order.

I already decided to do a non-food activity with my family for my birthday. We are going to a pottery painting store! I can paint something to commemorate the day, and there's no pressure or worry about food choices.

My birthday is the 28th and I will be two days shy of four weeks out so I am watching this post carefully. My family wants to go out to dinner and I have no idea what to order.

I wouldn't order anything. I would just ask to share with my family off their plates. Having a couple bites of different things is quite nice. I don't know what your surgeon allows in your current phase however.

Why the big deal about cake?

Just skip it.

If blowing out a candle is your thing, put a candle on a saucer and blow it out.

Then fantasize about how great you'll feel on your next birthday.

I just skipped the whole thing this year.

Depends if your bands filled yet or not mine was put in without Fluid. At first. I cried when I couldn't eat cake lol it is hard but it gets better just don't order big when you go out eat a salad or something or order appetizer. Usually I order appetizer and ask for them to bring it with everyone's plate and maybe a salad.

Make a pudding pie. I buy the Keebler mini pie crusts and fill them with SF pudding and top with cool whip lite. As long as it's sitting in the fridge for over 24 hours, the pie crust will soften. And they are individual servings. You can make a variety of pies with different flavor puddings

Heck, it's your birthday and only comes once a year. Get whatever looks good to you and enjoy it! Eat a few tiny bites, wait a litte while, eat a few more until you feel satisfied. It's not the end of the world!

Why the big deal about cake?

Just skip it.

If blowing out a candle is your thing, put a candle on a saucer and blow it out.

Then fantasize about how great you'll feel on your next birthday.

I just skipped the whole thing this year.

My surgery is scheduled for 4 days after my birthday. I'll be on the all-liquids phase of my pre-op diet. Everybody's already asking me what I'm doing for my birthday. The answer? Preparing for my rebirth. Cake is delicious and previously I would have glady eaten a huge chunk of cake for anybody's birthday. I'll have a Protein shake in a fancy glass and stick a candle in it to put out. I know it's going to be difficult but it's what I've gotta do.