Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it WORTH having this surgery for the sole purpose of NOT being able to eat crap?

I am making the decision between sleeve and bypass. Here is a bit about myself:

25, 5'4", 238lbs. Healthy, no comorbitities.

Here are my thoughts:

-I do not like the idea of rerouting all of my stuff! I have many years ahead of me filled with pregnancy and possible complications.

-However, i'm healthy and my doc says I will do wonderfully either way.

-My reasonings for wanting bypass: I overeat, and can eat crap. Eating crap will not be tolerated... so on top of having smaller portions, I will be trained to eat HEALTHY.

-Is choosing bypass BECAUSE i'll get sick eating this stuff a worthy enough reason to turn down the sleeve? I want weight loss for life, and I don't know if the sleeve can promise that. You can return to normal eating patterns and essentially stretch the stomach out again.

Please! answers! My doc is calling me tomorrow.

I chose bypass for that reason. I am 40, 5'3, was 272 at my highest. Sweet tooth like you couldn't imagine. Loved sugar of any kind and just couldn't resist. For me, the fear of dumping was the push I needed. I had my bypass in July 2014, so a little over 6 months ago. I've dumped twice, I've learned my limits and never ever ever want to do that again! Seriously!!! It's worked exactly how i had hoped it would. I'm down 100#. I avoid sugary anything like the plague, and at this point, don't even miss out. You could set a plate of brownies in front of me and I wouldn't even think twice. Absolute best decision of my life, and yes, my decision was solely based on the benefit the bypass offers, which was dumping!

Let me say this...don't know where u got your info from... but having a bypass does not mean u don't eat "crap"...I personally know someone who had a Gastric bypass and gained 50% of the weight back or more..She maintain the weight for about 2years maybe more...Then the weight all came back...Please remember we all ALL human what started out great for her sticking to the healthy plan just did not stick.... if u have determination it must be for a life style and life time...no matter the surgery u choose...The dumping is horrible... if u are tempted to eat Crap so u choose a surgery that makes u dumped? a tad strange to me. Weight loss surgery is a tool not a solution, good luck!!!

Edited by Pepper123

Hi there. The most important thing for you to realize is that WLS of any kind is NOT a miracle cure that is suddenly going to make you stop eating crap. I had mine in September, so far I can pretty much eat anything I want. I have not had one episode of dumping yet. Also you can over eat by simply eating throughout the day. Every 30 minutes or so your stomach empties and you can fill it up again. The reality is it is a tool that can help you in your weight loss journey. You have to be in control of what you put in your mouth and the amount of exercise you get daily as well.

It is very hard work to lose weight even post WLS. Taking off the weight is not the big issue, maintaining is. This tool simply sets you up for success you still have to make very good decisions to lose the weight and ultimately keep it off.

I just wanted to share with you my opinion of reality. I hope this makes sense.

If you think this surgery will stop you from eating crap food you might be wrong. Yes, you have a chance that you will develope dumping, but you might not. There is no way to know before surgery if you will dump from certain food or not.

I can eat whatever I want. I can handle anything, I have an Iron stomach as I like to say, and I do not dump. Maybe if I eat something very sugary and fairly a lot of it I feel the rapis heartbeat for a few minutes but that's all about it. So do not rely on the idea of dumping, coz it might will not happen for you. You will have to discipline yourself about the food you put into your mouth.

You can eat the wrong things whether you have bypass or sleeve. I know someone who had bypass and while she lost weight, she has now fallen into bad habits like Coca Cola and other sweets. She was never able to reach her goal weight and blames the surgery.

I had the sleeve and while I've been very successful considering I'm only 3 months out, it's been because I went in knowing that my success depended on ME and what I chose to put in my mouth. My sleeve is simply a tool.

I actually have had a few dumping episodes with the sleeve...from milk and sausage, not sweets. But I LOVE my restriction. I went on vacation last week and was able to eat 1-2 bites of carbs (Mac & cheese, key lime pie, cheese grits) a few times and I was totally satisfied. I also lost weight despite not tracking my food for a week. But I also stayed active and never ate more than 3 meals a day.

If you follow the rules (Protein first, veggies next, carbs last, no soda, etc) you will lose weight no matter which surgery you choose. This is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Be prepared for that.

I can't tell you what to do but like some of the others above, I had the gastric bypass and can eat pretty much anything. I have never had dumping. So, there is no guarantee that it will prevent you from eating crap!! Trust me! This only works long term if you change how you eat and how you exercise, otherwise, you will gain it back. Many people do. Best of luck and remember that no matter which you choose, you still need to follow the plan for it to work.

Hey! Thank you all for your responses. I totally agree, and know that wls is only a tool. I am committing to working out three days a week and eating healthier. I did not mean to imply that the surgery would be only thing stopping me from eating poorly... What I meant is, and perhaps I should have clarified, is all things equal, eating healthy, watching caloric intake and working out, is the possibility of dumping a solid motivator for any of you in choosing whether you indulge in that piece of pie or not. I've read that a few ppl on these forums relish the additional constraint. It's interesting that not everyone has this issue though. Either way, I'll make it... I guess I just like the extra mental "no", some people get.

Will you have the same feelings of fullness as the sleeve does? I've heard that if you eat too much, you can get sick. I'm also concerned with stretching the stomach/sleeve out again. I know you can get fat again on either, my uncle unfortunately has... So I want to approach this in the best possible way. I want to give myself the best chance of staying thin for the next handful of decades. And I don't know what surgery is the best long term solution for me.

Dumping is not guaranteed. So maybe not the best ideas to make a decision on that. You posted on the bypass thread so you'll get a lot of pro bypass perspectives, too. I decided bypass because I wanted the greatest chance of my co morbidities being completely resolved. I wanted long term data. I've been on this site a while and I can't figure out if sleeves are just being offered more lately and there by we are hearing more about folks not being able to eat being 6 wks, 6 months out and other stuff or if sleeves are more vocal about it. Can't tell. I'm two weeks out and can tolerate everything I tried with no problems, nausea, vomiting. I know when I'm am eating too fast but I think that would be the same for everyone at this point.

You need to make this decision with your surgeon. I think most people go with their guts and at their fear edge. Some people are gonna be creeped out by the re routing, I was afraid of the long line of stitching with the sleeve or developing any sort of reflux, heartburn etc.

Also, what sealed the deal for me and you might ask your surgeon.

How many of each procedures has he/she done?

Which one has he/she done the most revisions or fixed complications with? And how comfortable with it are they?

If his or her child needed bariatric surgery which would they recommend?

Honestly, you are young and healthy and would probably do well with a uncomplicated sleeve or bypass process, but you may not need all the bypass has to offer.

Edited by MisforMimi