Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I am 4 weeks out. I'm eating 800 calories a day. Getting avg 70g Protein and 60oz fluids. I'm scared to death I'm going to fail at this. I have nightmares about bingeing on Desserts and being 600 lbs bed ridden and huffing and sweating eating a 12ft sub and a whole chocolate cake. My NUT said I need to be eating 500-700 cals a day, low fat low carb no sugar..,,like WTF does that leave me to eat!?!???!! I have a family and a small business I can't afford to eat only organic whole foods. I just want to cry all the time.

What do you really eat? I don't want to fail myself. I'm freaking out on numbers all day. If I eat too many cals but get my protein I ferl like I failed for the day. Then I eat fewer cals on a lower end of 60g of protein and I'm hungry and wiped out. What's wrong with me?

My NUT said for me to eat around 800 calories but honestly I just try to eat sensibly and don't stress it. I tend to fluctuate between 650 and 950 calories. If it's a gym day, my calories may be a little higher.

Today I had

Pre Gym/Breakfast - I make a 28 ounce Protein shake and drink half before workout and half after. This morning it included apple juice, greek yogurt, Protein powder

lunch was low sodium black bean, sunny side up egg, shredded cheddar and salsa

dinner was stir fry veg and 4 ounce Beyond meat Chickenless strip (could be subbed w/ chicken breast or lean meat)

I had a cup of peppermint tea with raw honey.

My totals for the day were: 738 calories 73carbs 17fat 73protein 1,186 sodium 53sugar

This includes a sauce I made for the stir fry that was garlic paste, soy sauce, honey & sirarchia. None of theses ingredients were organic. In fact the veg were free because they are on sale at the market this week and I had a coupon for the sale price. (I'm actually going back tomorrow and pick up 3 more packs and put in freezer bags.) I'm on a fixed income and rely on coupons and sales to eat healthy. I think keeping a food diary has given me a better idea of what I can eat to stay within that 650 - 950 range and still hit 70+ in Protein. I then fit my Water in between meals.

At 4 weeks out you're still figuring it out. Keep working at it and you'll find a happy balance.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I'm a college student and had vsg so I totally understand!

Organic is soo expensive!

I buy on sale and buy bulk bags of fish and chicken usually around 11 dollars each(I freeze them and they last a long time post op).

For fruit I get whatever is on sale that week.

And veggies also depending on if I can't grow it myself.

I'm focused on Protein and fluids right now compared to calories.

Edited by fit4life123

At 4 weeks out, this recipe was my primary food. I couldn't tolerate much else, so I was eating it for almost every meal.

I live in Tucson Arizona lmfao...have Mexican food everywhere! But I like your recipe.

I am just so scared I'm doing this all half-assed with a half-cocked ego cracked by fear.

I had so much confidence last week, then about 2 days ago...I went bonkers!

I freak out at the costs of my Protein supplements and vitamins...and then I look at the crap my kids eat or want to eat and shutter. I think I need sleep and a small cheat meal. I haven't had a single non-approved food or drink in a month. I'm so regimented and afraid one Hershey kiss will lead to moo-moo's and curlers (no offense if anyone wears those). I feel like a true addict in withdrawal.

Ok, now I sound like a true nutcase...

You can do a compromise. Help you kids not to ever have to worry about WLS by transitioning some of their food choices and Snacks to healthier ones. This may also help relieve you of that "on a diet/deprived" anxiety you appear to be having. Mexican food can be a pretty decent choice if once you learn to make the right choices.

I also strong recommend food diary either at Myfitnespal, Sparkpeople or some other place at least for a few months. It will help get you in the habit of making better choices. I often fill mine out for the day first thing in the morning and then edit at night before I go to be. My diary for yesterday include snack choices of either an orange or half an apple with almond butter. By that evening I didn't want either and had a cup of tea instead.

I use myfitness pal...I'm thinking it may be contributing to my stress

A little paranoia is good, but try not to let it paralyze your actions. It will keep you vigilant and on track.

I know where you're coming from. I was afraid to transition from full liquids to purees - I was afraid I'd "break the magic" and my weight loss would stop. It takes some time to get used to the idea that the "magic" will continue.

You don't have to be in a rush to transition to new foods. Take your time, and get comfortable with one food at a time.

As to the cost, I've never bought any of the expensive name brand Vitamins, my doc said just buy a good one. I was taking the generic Sam's Club multi, but recently found that the mulit-vitamins with Whole food extracts make me feel better all day - and they cost $25 for a months supply. The money I save on food more than covers that cost.

Mexican food or any other foods - I would suggest that any foods you eat be as close to the "source" as possible. Meaning, buy them at the grocery store and cook them yourself. By doing that, I know approximately what and how much processing is/has been done to the food. At a restaurant or from a box, you don't know how much sugar/flower/msg or other additives you're eating. I try to get as much nutrition from my food as possible/per bite/per calorie.

You can do it! Take one small step at a time. Make the choices that are important and feel right for you. Heck! Call your doctor or nutritionist and ask their opinion! If you have a local support group, goto a meeting and hear other stories and how they coped with their food issues. Keep reading the threads on Bariatricpal, there's a wealth of information. Someone on here has gone through anything you may experience. And, (blatant plug!) :rolleyes: watch my Youtube videos. I've tried to go over some of the most common topics and questions I've found on the WLS boards.

I believe in you. Now get back to it! And Keep Pimpin' that Sleeve!

I live in Tucson Arizona lmfao...have Mexican food everywhere! But I like your recipe.
I am just so scared I'm doing this all half-assed with a half-cocked ego cracked by fear.
I had so much confidence last week, then about 2 days ago...I went bonkers!
I freak out at the costs of my Protein supplements and vitamins...and then I look at the crap my kids eat or want to eat and shutter. I think I need sleep and a small cheat meal. I haven't had a single non-approved food or drink in a month. I'm so regimented and afraid one Hershey kiss will lead to moo-moo's and curlers (no offense if anyone wears those). I feel like a true addict in withdrawal.
Ok, now I sound like a true nutcase...

You are doing fine! No worries! I never buy organic anything and the weight is moving in the right direction.

Just get up each day and make a plan. Protein, veggies, a little fruit if you can, Vitamins and Water. I have never bought expensive anything for this. I have an occasional hersheys kiss.... a small bite of a bagel.....a small bite of cake if I'm at a birthday party. Sometimes I even skip my protein......OH NO!....and eat pasta!! Guess what?.....I didn't gain a single pound from it! I plan for it. Exercise. Drink my Water. Get back on track. I don't have anything off course every single day....I have it about 1x a week or every other week.

I try to go into the store with the mindset that I am a normal woman eating a normal healthy diet....instead of I'm a WLS patient and have to abide by this program to a T or I will be fat forever.

You're human. Eat good healthy food most of the time and enjoy a bite of something "forbidden" when you please. Don't deprive yourself, it just makes you more frustrated. This is a permanent change. Make it work for you. Its your life! No worries!

PS.....anything that makes me feel guilty is off the table....Things that make me track every single calorie and every single movement makes me feel HORRIBLE if I am even slightly off. I write down what I eat and a close calculation of the calories and the Protein. That's it. If I see that I had Pasta on Monday I stay away from it the rest of the week. That's enough tracking for me. I did weight watchers and the point system still runs through my head and drive me bonkers! I exercise 3xs a week for 30 mins. I don't worry about what day, what time of day or what kind of exercise. I refuse to stress myself out over this!

Edited by Bobby46

Please don't stress. I eat pretty much the same foods I ate before WLS. I just make sure I'm hitting my Protein and then focus on getting in my exercise. Don't drive your self crazy with this.

I'm 4 weeks post op and i lost 11kgs am not sure if that is enough!! I'm feeling guilty because since week 3 and am eating normal food but in small amounts like 2-5 bites max ...and am always hungry i guess this is because am not used to sit near tv set without eating..! I was 96.5kg pre op and now am 85kgs

I'm going to say something unpopular on these types of forums and tell you that I think your NUT has some issues. The amount of calories s/he is suggesting is not at all sustainable--I'm only 2 weeks out and in the puree stage and I'm averaging 700-750 calories a day from eating the minuscule amounts I can get down!

As far as fat goes, no, you shouldn't be binging on containers of butter and lard. But there's no need to make all your choices "low fat". Our brains require fat. Fat increases the feeling of satiety you get from food. Eat fat. Eat GOOD fats, but eat some fat. If you can choose a reduced-fat (not fat-free, never fat-free!) dairy product like cream cheese or yogurt, etc., go for it. But you don't have to go fat-free.

Frankly, the same thing goes for carbs. Eat a protein-forward diet, but there's no reason you HAVE to eschew carbs. You can have them! Just watch how they impact your bottom line, and try to choose veggies, fruits, and a small number of whole grains for your carbs, not french fries or whatever. (But have a couple of those, too, when you want them!)

Being hungry isn't good, and isn't sustainable. Eat enough that you feel good. Pay attention to what it is, and how much of it, makes you feel good and keeps the scale moving the way you want it. Make mindful food choices. Tell your NUT what s/he wants to hear. Don't become one of those sad people who trade a life of feeling controlled by food and being obese to a life of feeling even MORE controlled by food but being thinner.

I'm 4 weeks post op and i lost 11kgs am not sure if that is enough!! I'm feeling guilty because since week 3 and am eating normal food but in small amounts like 2-5 bites max ...and am always hungry i guess this is because am not used to sit near tv set without eating..! I was 96.5kg pre op and now am 85kgs

You shouldn't compare yourself to others. Some people are fast losers and others are slow and steady. As long as the scale is going in the right direction, that's all that matter.