Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New! Finally taking the plunge. Scared,excited and confused!

Hi All! I am really happy to find this forum/website. It has been helpful to know what everyone feels, experiences, tricks and support. I have looked into LapBand for about 8 years now. I had a good friend and her sister do it that long ago and have been very successful. She has talked to me quite a bit about what to do. I am going to the same place she did 8 years ago but things have changed since then. According to my friend there was not a pre-diet as we have now. All shakes. I was told I can have an egg in the morning if I am really hungry and a grilled chicken breast the size of my palm at night if REALLY needed. I can have up to five shakes a day. For my case I get hungry that is why I am in this position. I actually eat healthy but my portions are bad. That is why I am at my current un-healthy weight. I am excited for this tool to help me. I am at this point as I have read many of you are or had been hungry in this pre-diet. I do know how vital the diet is but I do run my own business and two kids. I am a bear right now. I feel light headed, headaches and upset stomach. I am starting to feel like a failure because I am struggling really bad with this. I can not sleep at night because I am so darn hungry. I am drinking tons too. Hot tea and Water. Nothing seems to help. Any advice to get my until Feb.6th would be so wonderful. I have talked to the staff and I keep getting the same answers as above. That may be all that is available for me. I am also just scared I will fail. I am not a pessimist at all--that is why I am surprised by the way I am feeling. I have never wanted something so badly I am just getting confused and a little hungry and not to mention very crabby. Poor family and clients! Eeek! Thank you again and can't wait to hear anything from you. I am sure you are sick of this same topic but I can really use the support right about now.

welcome to the banded world. your pre-op diet is extremely important because I am sure as your doctor explained, your liver needs to shrink. I know it was difficult for me too, what you are experiencing is like withdrawal. It will get better after a few days. I had to do shakes or Protein bars 4 x a day then 1 light meal in the evenings. it was about 1000 calories or so. My surgery was several years ago and I believe it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. My diabetes is under control (no medication) no more high cholesterol and high blood pressure. It was a life saving surgery for me. Not to mention the mobility I have gained. I cannot tell you it was easy because it still requires control and focus. My ability to eat small amounts and stay away from junk food is helped by the presence of the band. It still will be up to you to follow your doctors instructions and call him if you have any problems. I have not had any complications and I am one happy woman. I was 66 when I had my surgery and I'm getting younger every day. Bless you and keep us up to date on your progress. We are here to help you.

I appreciate your words. I too have had weight issues for about 25 years. I am 38. I have gained 100 lbs in 20 years.

At this time though I am thinking this may not work for me. If I can not get through this stage I don't think I will be able to be successful in the other part of this journey. I was wanting to do it because I have back injuries (from a wreck) and apart from surgery there was not another option. Losing weight was my only hope. I am scared to face not eating say pizza, Pasta, rice etc ever again in my life. As stated I do eat healthy--ha not from what I just wrote but to never have those things again and not to be able to drink water/tea while I eat seems very difficult. I have not been successful in my journey with weight. I have yo-yo'd a lot and I was hoping this would help. I just don't have the support from family or staff in this. I think I need to be able to do on my own but right now I am feeling I can't do it. I am sad to think this but I don't know if this will be it for me. :( I wish I was able to have Protein bars or a light meal. That would help. However, making dinner for my family and having a hunger headache is not working. :blush:

I meant to add that the weight hinders my job (photographer) to do what I want and to play with my kids the way I see it in my mind. To hike in the mountains because I have to admit my lungs feel like they are going to explode.

I did email a staff member I have talked to a few times. He did reply. Sorry for the ranting. Hunger rant? Thank you though Sharpie. Blessings to you as well. You are an inspiration!

I was hit by a drunk driver and we almost lost our lives. At that point I wanted to start my life over to what I felt I needed for myself and my kids/husband. It was a life altering moment for me. I had a new outlook. I have been in therapy and taking control of all aspects of my life. This one does mean a lot to me. I have to remind myself it is more important than pizza. Thank you.

I totally understand how you feel. I am scheduled for 2/16 and I am really scared I can't do this either. I try to stay positive, but then I think about all the bad stuff I read on the Internet and giving up the foods I love and I freak out. I hope you find what is best for you. I still don't know what to do, but thanks for sharing im glad someone feels the way that I do.

you can do it. You don't have to be perfect. Try your best and get to your surgery date. I know I was scared too. You will be able to eat things you like again, just not as much. pizza will probably not appeal to you . I don't like many of the foods I used to eat . The alternative for me was gaining more weight, becoming unhealthier and being miserable. It is a gamble but if you lose your health you have lost everything. Climb over your fear and hunger and focus on how great you will feel getting the burden of weight off of you.

@@RWM i sent you a msg but I can't tell if it went through - it looks like something funky happened. If you are interested I'd be happy to resend.

@@Keeper it didn't seem to work. Also you can email me. Photosbyrm@gmail.com. Thanks!

You are in the middle of the hardest part of this process. You are starving and scared. I understand exactly how you feel. I wish I could give you a glimpse of your future but since I can't, I'll tell you about what I went through. I was so afraid that my life would be over without the comfort of food. Silly me...my life not only is NOT over, it's better than ever. I eat smaller portions of everything and not only do I not feel deprived, but I feel great because I'm in control. I can do almost anything I want. My size and former joint pain kept me from living my life. Now I'm back in the game. You will get through this and once the weight starts to come off, you will feel empowered. I cannot tell you how much I love my life now. I am so sad to know how much I lost when I was obese but I guess I needed to get to rock bottom first. Hang in there. It's all so worth it, I promise.

Thank you all so very much. Reading these replies I felt your support. Friday is the big day! So hard to believe! I'm so blessed to have found this group and I know your encouragement will help me with my new life. Thank you!!!