Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stand still with weight loss 1.7 years in

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to any forum and I am very excited about learning from new friends!

I had my lap band surgery done in June 2013. I started in at 235.5 lbs and am now at 173.2. I was doing great at losing weight up until about 4 or so months ago. I am at a complete stand still. I don't eat alot and when I do eat it is the protien first. I am not sure if my body is happy being where I am. I am in the process of training for a 5k and work out everyday.

What prompted me to post is that for a few days now, I have been having back pain on the left side and it has been tough getting anything down. I am not sure if anyone has experienced this before and if you have what you would suggest to help.

I suppose I have 2 issues going on. I look forward to meeting new people and wish everyone the best of luck!

Michellene

Welcome and congrats.

Sorry I have no info on your back issue. Perhaps call and speak to the nurse? Good luck

Welcome and congrats.

Sorry I have no info on your back issue. Perhaps call and speak to the nurse? Good luck

Thank you, I will give it another day with some stretching and fluids to see if it helps. Thanks for your repsonse!

Michellene

Welcome! Congrats on your excellent loss!

As far as the back pain I have nothing, but I hope you feel better soon!

As far as the 4-month weight "stall", can I ask you a few questions?

You say that you're training for a 5K. How many calories are you consuming per day and has this caloric intake changed since you started training?

How many grams of Protein are your getting per day?

Are you drinking a min of 80oz of Water per day?

Two things come to mind when I read your post and of course this is just my opinion, but I'm wondering if since you started training for your 5k if you're getting too few calories so your body is holding on to everything because it's going into starvation store mode?

The other thing that comes to mind is with your training your building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and that could of course be why you're not seeing the # move on the scale.

The MOST important question I have is........are you able to tell a difference in the way your clothes are fitting? Are they loser, are you going down in sizes? You could be seeing your loss in the form of inches until your body catches up with itself, which in my opinion is the best loss of all.

Edited by enjoythetime

We all experience stalls, some can be brief, others go on for ages. But there is no magic answer, just the simple equation. If we eat fewer calories than we burn, our bodies have no choice but to use stored energy - fat. Calories from different foods do have different effects in, for example, insulin spikes, but the equation still overall holds true.

If you are into serious training, muscle build up happens and inch for inch that is heavier than fat. But unless you are developing body-builder size muscles, the effect on the scale will be very small. And increased exercise will help loss but nowhere near as much as is sometimes claimed. We need an awful of 5ks to burn off much fat.

So all you can do is cut back on calories!

As far as the back is concerned, back pain is not commonly associated with banding as far as I know. Pulled muscle?

Welcome! Congrats on your excellent loss!

As far as the back pain I have nothing, but I hope you feel better soon!

As far as the 4-month weight "stall", can I ask you a few questions?

You say that you're training for a 5K. How many calories are you consuming per day and has this caloric intake changed since you started training?

How many grams of Protein are your getting per day?

Are you drinking a min of 80oz of Water per day?

Two things come to mind when I read your post and of course this is just my opinion, but I'm wondering if since you started training for your 5k if you're getting too few calories so your body is holding on to everything because it's going into starvation store mode?

The other thing that comes to mind is with your training your building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat and that could of course be why you're not seeing the # move on the scale.

The MOST important question I have is........are you able to tell a difference in the way your clothes are fitting? Are they loser, are you going down in sizes? You could be seeing your loss in the form of inches until your body catches up with itself, which in my opinion is the best loss of all.

HI there and thank you for your post!

I am only able to get in around 900 calories a day and per the treadmill I am burning 250. I just started training this month (my New Years Goal!!) and take in around 50 grams of protien. I have been able to drink in 65 oz of Water. To be honest, today has been real tough drinking and eating. I am trying to get down a shake in hopes to simmer things down. I am wondering if PMS plays a role in tightness in the band? If so, then I bet that's it!

As far as the stall... it is disappointing, but your right on all suggestions. I will work on getting in the water and protien to see if that makes a difference. I truly appreciate your input and congrats on your success!!

Michellene

We all experience stalls, some can be brief, others go on for ages. But there is no magic answer, just the simple equation. If we eat fewer calories than we burn, our bodies have no choice but to use stored energy - fat. Calories from different foods do have different effects in, for example, insulin spikes, but the equation still overall holds true.

If you are into serious training, muscle build up happens and inch for inch that is heavier than fat. But unless you are developing body-builder size muscles, the effect on the scale will be very small. And increased exercise will help loss but nowhere near as much as is sometimes claimed. We need an awful of 5ks to burn off much fat.

So all you can do is cut back on calories!

As far as the back is concerned, back pain is not commonly associated with banding as far as I know. Pulled muscle?

Thank you for your post, I dont think it is a pulled muscle, although when I stretch it does feel better. Perhaps I slept wrong.. I will watch the calories and keep chuggin along! Thanks for the help!

Michellene

HI there and thank you for your post!

I am only able to get in around 900 calories a day and per the treadmill I am burning 250. I just started training this month (my New Years Goal!!) and take in around 50 grams of protien. I have been able to drink in 65 oz of Water. To be honest, today has been real tough drinking and eating. I am trying to get down a shake in hopes to simmer things down. I am wondering if PMS plays a role in tightness in the band? If so, then I bet that's it!

As far as the stall... it is disappointing, but your right on all suggestions. I will work on getting in the Water and protien to see if that makes a difference. I truly appreciate your input and congrats on your success!!

Michellene

Why can you only get in 900 calories a day? We should never be so tight the band physically stops us eating. The starvation mode myth is generally assumed by medical professionals to have been discredited as a theory but 900 is low for a balanced diet. With other surgeries they eat less than that but they take more supplements to compensate. It is also generally said that it is unfortunately the case that exercise equipment tends to over-count by around 25% but I don't know if that is true!

Why can you only get in 900 calories a day? We should never be so tight the band physically stops us eating. The starvation mode myth is generally assumed by medical professionals to have been discredited as a theory but 900 is low for a balanced diet. With other surgeries they eat less than that but they take more supplements to compensate. It is also generally said that it is unfortunately the case that exercise equipment tends to over-count by around 25% but I don't know if that is true!

I really hadn't counted my calories until recently. A friend of mine had the band done and is eating 1200 cal a day. She suggested counting and that's when I realized I was only eating 900. I do feel full frequently, today was especially tough to get much down. Perhaps I should give the dr. a call in the morning. Maybe that is it, I am not eating enough. I have heard of that before when I was a Weight Watcher, that if I don't eat all my points you wont lose. Thanks for the advice, I will call tomorrow.