Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am exactly a week away from my procedure on Feb 3. I spoke with my doctor regarding travel on a three hour flight 11 days after surgery. Doctor says I will be ok to travel. Has anyone traveled via plane this close after post surgery. Thanks!

Edited by Peter1965

I have traveled but not that close after surgery. I can tell you, my band get tighter in flight. I used to think it was due to stress, but the altitude changes my band. Drink as much Water as you can and maybe have some Protein prior to the flight as well.

My last flight to NY was 4 hours and it took me that entire flight to drink the small glass of Water they gave me. I had not eaten or drank anything prior, so i was not blocked, just tight. This typically effects my entire trip and will normally lose about 5 lbs per business trip. I had 5 trips last year and got under my goal weight.

I know every body is different, just wanted you to be prepared for some restriction, where you might not have had any yet.

Hi I was banded on the 17th January and flew from the UK to back home to Cyprus on the 27th January which is a 5 hour flight. I was banded by Professor Favretti in London and had the SILS (single insision) basically they went through my belly button and I have zero scars, not even on my port - if you google Professor Favretti he played a big part in developing the lapband - basically, he's the guy! So here is exactly what he said.......

I asked him personally on the day of my surgery because I was getting conflicting advice and he said "in terms of the band - in theory you could fly tomorrow, it is the length of time you have to sit and the discomfort that will cause that is the problem" he asked me the date of my flight and he said "that is plenty of time". I think what he was getting at is that flying doesn't cause any structural problems with the band it is the actual incisions that are the issue early after surgery - again I had single incision so maybe that's different than the 5 incision way but I had no problems flying picking up my suitcase etc ten days after surgery. I think I could have flown a week after and I was so roouuuggghhhhh after surgery. Like really ill for two days.

I know this is a long answer but I was anxious about this same issue and so wanted to tell you exactly. Good Luck!

Just keep in mind that everybody is different and if you happen to have restrictions during flight, that might be the reason. Good luck!

What are flight socks food for?

Me too. I was told 2 weeks. In regard to my post above, the man was asking about post surgery so that's what my answer was based on.

Thank you all for the advice. My Dr. did recommend the socks. My 1st check up is tomorrow. Feeling pretty good after six days. Still feeling bloated. Can't wait to get a good burp out.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches