Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting closer and having doubts

I am part of a pilot program at work and get to skip the food logs and insurance wait times. I have had all tests done except for my sleep study which is next week. So all I will have left is the wellness assessment at the hospital then I get my surgery date. This has all happened in the last 30 days. I thought I was ready but now I'm wondering if it's to quick. Anyone else have cold feet??

Hmmm... I took nine months of pre op visits with various people such as psych, surgeon, physicians, nurses, nutritionist, and exercise therapist. I would not have been ready in 30 days. Even after nine months the morning of surgery I remember saying I wish I had one more week. However the good thing is you can jump right in and move forward quickly! You will do great!!! ????

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;-)

Skc, I'm feeling the exact same way. I went to an informational seminar 12/18. Two weeks later I scheduled my initial appointment and was able to squeeze all the required appointments into 1 week...minus the EGD and sit downs with the surgeon and anesthesiologist. My surgery date is 2/10. It is a big step and for all of it to happen so quick...mindblowing!! I'm also excited at the same time. I am a worrier by nature so I'm chalking it up to that. I know I've been at this weightloss thing for 30+ years. I feel I've wasted enough time. I'm ready to succeed for a change. I know I'll be back and forth till the day is here, but I need to do this for me.

Good luck and keep us updated!

My total process time took seven months, and even though sometimes it felt like it was taking forever, looking back I realize that I needed that time to really learn and to change my bad habits before my surgery. I think if you read a lot of these message boards it will give you a good idea of what to expect. For me, this has been one of the hardest things I have ever done, but also one of the best. It's not something to go into lightly, and I don't think it's the right surgery for everybody because you have to be committed to change for life. It's not like one of the diets we would go on and then if it didn't work out we could just quit and go back to doing whatever we wanted. you will never be able to process everything the same way. So in my opinion, if you've done your research, and you've talk to your doctors and nutritionist, I say go for it! All best and good luck to you on your journey.

I did do extensive research before I put my name in at work for the program. Guess I just didn't expect it to go this quick.

Edited by skc72

Had I had the chance to do it in 30 days I absolutely would have done it. I remember being so frustrated that it took so long to get through the process, for me it was 9 months long.

I had done a ton of research before even meeting a surgeon the first time so I was ready. I would say there was a positive about taking so long, I was able to make changes to my lifestyle ahead of time and by the time I got to the morning of surgery I was so excited. For me there was no question about moving forward but I was miserable at 310lbs.

I wish I would have done this years ago vs. waiting until my health declined. The good news is my health is so much better now.

Good luck to you! Don't be afraid, just make sure you follow the plan.

Skc72,I did it the same way. If I had to do the pre-op 6-9 months, I wouldn't have cleared. I've lost 68lbs and my 3 month anniversary is Jan 27th. You'll do great. Just do what you're instructed and take it day by day. It's a lifestyle change you'll be so excited about! I've never felt better, physically, mentally or emotionally. It was so hard, is so hard, but sooooo worth it!!

Loving this group, everyone is so positive!!!

Hi,

Would love to have someone to reach out to because my surgery is Wednesday and I'm starting to freak out. I'm very excited, but am nervous to not have someone to talk to that is going through what I'm going through on a similar timeline.

Looking forward to making life changes,

Michelle

Hi,

Would love to have someone to reach out to because my surgery is Wednesday and I'm starting to freak out. I'm very excited, but am nervous to not have someone to talk to that is going through what I'm going through on a similar timeline.

Looking forward to making life changes,

Michelle

I'm happy to chat. You can PM me here. I'm 1 week and a day out. You can do this. It's normal to freak out. It'd be weird if you weren't....You can do this! So many have gone on before you and have done this successfully. Look up the before and after pics on this site for motivation. You got this!!! :-):-) :-) :-) :-)

I almost cancelled the night before my surgery, and I spent six months getting there. Your feelings are normal! Make the leap and you will see. Although, I will warn you, the first three weeks suck! I had serious doubt and reservations. Then suddenly, you feel human again. Good luck and holler when you need help!

:-)

I have been told can be hard in beginning and that some get really depressed, many different reactions.

Except for being aware so I do the best to prepare myself, I haven't worried about that because it would just drive me crazy. I'm focusing on the freedom I'll feel when not held back by this 100 lbs!