Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did loss get noticed

My starting weight was 491. Am down almost 100 pounds (about 70 prior to surgery, almost 3 weeks ago) and the only people who "notice" are people who already knew I was losing and they can only really see it in my face. I have a close friend who is also losing who says she can see it elsewhere, but I think she really has to look for it! I think if I lose 25-50 more lbs maybe it will be noticeable in other places. I haven't really gone down in clothing sizes either. I figure I am good with most of my wardrobe for the next 50 lbs. At that point I'll have to replace some things, but I am sure I can "stretch" (no pun intended!) my ponte pants for a little longer than that!

Wow! You should be so proud of yourself. I'm really looking forward to being able to say I've lost a hundred. You are doing great and that inspires me to keep at it. Thanks.

Wow! You should be so proud of yourself. I'm really looking forward to being able to say I've lost a hundred. You are doing great and that inspires me to keep at it. Thanks.

Definitely glad to be under 400 and also to be 4lbs away from 100 lb loss. I am just glad I have already gotten that first 100 (almost) out of the way. If I hadn't kicked it into high gear in the 2.5 months prior to surgery I would still be in the high 400s and still have so much more to lose. I feel like I got a jump start. But then again it IS easier to lose more when you have more to lose. Percentage wise, I am very close to hitting 20% total weight lost. I am willing to bet that if you did the math you'd be right along side me! Perhaps even more-so. So YOU should also be proud. I think it's hard when people see you every day to notice a difference. Even being out of work for 2.5 weeks and coming back over 20 lbs lighter is not really enough of a difference for people to notice. (For me anyway.) I bet if you ran into someone who last saw you at your highest (or close to it) they would notice!

Definitely glad to be under 400 and also to be 4lbs away from 100 lb loss. I am just glad I have already gotten that first 100 (almost) out of the way. If I hadn't kicked it into high gear in the 2.5 months prior to surgery I would still be in the high 400s and still have so much more to lose. I feel like I got a jump start. But then again it IS easier to lose more when you have more to lose. Percentage wise, I am very close to hitting 20% total weight lost. I am willing to bet that if you did the math you'd be right along side me! Perhaps even more-so. So YOU should also be proud. I think it's hard when people see you every day to notice a difference. Even being out of work for 2.5 weeks and coming back over 20 lbs lighter is not really enough of a difference for people to notice. (For me anyway.) I bet if you ran into someone who last saw you at your highest (or close to it) they would notice!

I really appreciate your encouragement. My struggle with weight has been a lifelong problem. The first diet I was on started at age five. I have never been a "normal" size. So many people talk about getting back to a certain size. I have no comparison. I don't know what your story is but I feel like we're both in a similar situation at this moment. It's nice not to feel so alone. Thank you.

I'm 5'7. My highest weight was 290 but when I decided to have WLS I was 261. This past week it seems like everyone just started to notice. I weighed in at 214 this morning. So it took 45+ pounds. I carry my weight very proportionally and I lose from all over so I think it takes a little longer for others to notice.

However, I am exhausted from explaining how I lost weight. Unless the person is obese and truly needs help I'm not telling every person who asks about my surgery. Most people who ask only have 20-30 pounds to lose and I tell them I eat high Protein, low carb and track all my calories. I expect the questions to continue or only get worse from here on...

However, I am exhausted from explaining how I lost weight. Unless the person is obese and truly needs help I'm not telling every person who asks about my surgery. Most people who ask only have 20-30 pounds to lose and I tell them I eat high Protein, low carb and track all my calories. I expect the questions to continue or only get worse from here on...

I have been very open at work and with family/friends about my surgery. There are very few who don't know so I won't have to explain much when it does start to show. Right now my instinct is that I will just tell people... but who knows I may get to a point where I am sick of explaining the surgery eventually!

I have been very open at work and with family/friends about my surgery. There are very few who don't know so I won't have to explain much when it does start to show. Right now my instinct is that I will just tell people... but who knows I may get to a point where I am sick of explaining the surgery eventually! [/quote

I told a few people before I had surgery and got the "but you're not that overweight...do you really need to do surgery?" I did tell my immediate family and a few close coworkers and they've been supportive. However my mother in law was SO supportive she announced she wants surgery too! She's about 30-40 pounds overweight with no other issues besides getting older and her metabolism slowing down. But I don't think every person who asks needs to know if it won't benefit them.

I started out at 315 and I'm about 267 now and basically no one has noticed who doesn't know I had surgery. Then again I don't like to mention people's weight so if someone noticed they haven't said anything.

I started at 285.

I barely noticed the first 40 pounds.

My joke is: nobody notices the first 75.

Sometimes people notice and don't want to say anything. They might be afraid you are sick with cancer or something.

One friend said I just looked like I used to, or was supposed to.

Pretty cool!

My coworkers - who knew why I had taken off - said something as soon as I came back - maybe 15 lbs after surgery, "wow - I can already see it in your face". A friend told me - "Your face and your boobs look smaller"... she's a really good friend. Someone else said, "You must lose your belly first - I can really tell a difference".

My husband grabbed me about 5 lbs ago and said, "I can tell you've lost a lot of weight". Silly man - just cause he could put his arms all the way around me. My children said something about the same time... also because they can now put their arms all the way around me.

I notice more now, when I pass a mirror - I've pretty much lost my double chin, my good bras fit again, my wedding ring fits, my biggest pair of jeans now fit, I've gone down 2 sizes in my scrubs.

My feet and knees notice every day - they don't hurt, and I noticed when I was climbing the stairs yesterday my knees didn't sound like a bowl of rice krispies.

I started at 308 and I had lost 50# before anyone noticed.

I started at 302. My boss knew about my LapBand and at 60 pounds down said I looked great and must have lost twenty pounds! Lol I smiled and said yeah.

I really appreciate your encouragement. My struggle with weight has been a lifelong problem. The first diet I was on started at age five. I have never been a "normal" size. So many people talk about getting back to a certain size. I have no comparison. I don't know what your story is but I feel like we're both in a similar situation at this moment. It's nice not to feel so alone. Thank you.

@B Autumn You're absolutely right. I never gained weight in huge amounts and have "always" been big. I started gaining weight in maybe the 2nd or 3rd grade and have just slowly but surely kept gaining weight throughout childhood, adolescence, early adulthood, my twenties, etc.

Edited by heynowkc

I have two guys in my life who are my favourite friends. Even when baited, they will NOT respond, reply, make a comment in any way, shape, or form about a woman's weight. Truly, the best kind of friends to have.

I even lead in conversations with, "A few months ago, when I kick-started my weight loss efforts . . . " and *crickets* No comment whatsoever. Nothing.

One of them, bless his heart, keeps tracks of birthdays like nobody's business. One day, I asked to see his 'birthday tracker', and yes, looked to see my name on the list. "Year of birth" was blank in my case. I love having this friend. Love!

Okay, so, I'm 50-some pounds down. And some notice, but not all. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. These are my everyday people so I know it is hard to tell when someone you see every day loses weight. But, I must have turned the corner one day not too long ago because that day, everyone was coming out of the wood work to comment on my weight loss. Even people at the gym I never even noticed before. One fitness instructor said, "Someone needs new gym clothes - WK!"

One fellow fitness class member was shocked when I said 50-something. I guess I hide/carry it well . . . blessing/curse.

:P