Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Review of Dr. Jose Rodriguez, Hospital Angeles, and BeLightWeight

After exhaustive research, planning and consideration, I had a Single Incision Sleeve Gastrectomy with Dr. Rodriguez in Tijuana at Hospital Angeles on December 12th, and wanted to provide this review for all who are still considering their options.

My choice was based on the credentials, experience, quality and capabilities of the facility, surgeon, and team of professionals. They did not disappoint.

I was picked up by the owner of BeLiteWeight from a business meeting in San Diego, along with another patient who was picked up at the airport where we were personally driven to the Hospital. The city is developed, lively, and I felt very safe during our drive.

Upon entering the hospital we were warmly greeted by the surgical coordinator, who had us complete some forms, and then led us to an area where our pre-op chest X-ray, EKG and blood work were done. I was so impressed by the clean, modern, and attractive appearance of the hospital and equipment. Everything was on par with US Hospitals, as the facility was built in 2007.

I was then checked into my hospital room on the 2nd floor. Again, it was very clean, modern and nicely appointed with a safe for your wallet, passport, and such, television with DVR (bring DVDs if you wish), and a bed for your companion if you choose to bring one. The bathroom was good sized with a large shower and fixtures like you might find in a boutique hotel. Very nice.

I did not bring a travel companion, and was somewhat glad I didn't, as the care was so good, and I could just rest and not have to worry about anyone else.

I then walked across the street with the patient I met on the ride over to enjoy a fabulous Mexican dinner (complete with Margarita)! She was an absolute delight, and we quickly bonded over the shared experience and continue to keep in touch.

When we returned from dinner we got to meet Dr. Rod & Dr. Elmo to ask any questions. They were very kind and polite. Dr. Rod confirmed that he would use a 32 French Bougie on me, and that my low BMI without a lot of abdominal fat, and lack of a history of other abdominal surgeries made me an excellent candidate for the SPIDER Single Incision technique. He also was adamant that if for any reason he felt he could not perform the technique safely on me, that he would go the traditional approach, which was fine with me. Dr. Rod has done over 500 single incision cases, so I felt extremely confident.

Next morning was surgery. I was wheeled down to the pre-op area where more history was taken, and I was introduced to the anesthesiologist on the team. She was thorough in her examination and questioning, and had a lovely bedside manner. She gave me some medicine to calm me and the next thing I knew I woke up in the recovery room. This was the hardest part of the ordeal, as I had severe gas pains that were localized in my heart area, and I thought I was having a heart attack. I also had pain in my umbilical area from the surgery, but it was mild compared to the gas pains. The nurse was very comforting and reassuring. They then moved me back to my room and on to my hospital bed. I asked them to elevate the leg area of the bed all the way, which relieved the gas pains enough that I could drift off into a nice deep sleep...which I did most of the day and through the night.

The nurses were extremely professional, responsive, and kind. If I hit the call button, which I only had to do once, they were there within two minutes. Additionally, the nurses were very fit and quick. They wore hospital uniforms that looked so fabulously modern, clean, crisp and professional. Most spoke good English, although a couple had minimal command of English, but it was not a problem, as the essential communication always transpired.

When the person from nutrition delivered my meals, he showed up in a black suit....how do you like that one! The gentleman from housekeeping was constantly offering to change my sheets, and kept my room impeccable.

I did get up and walk around some the day after surgery, but mostly hung out in my room until the morning of our departure.

Dr. Rod & Dr. Elmo performed a beautiful single incision on me and after only 3 weeks it is almost completely imperceptible, as they left no scars. Incredible! Dr. Elmo asked for permission to photograph my belly button for lectures, which was fine with me.

The night before we left was our last leak test, which everyone seemed to detest. The barium swallow is not something I'd like to have to do often, but I didn't find it to be as bad tasting as some described. I did great...no leaks, and a wonderful success overall.

Victor, driver from BeLiteWeight, drove us in the van to the airport. The ride again, was very safe and pleasant.

I received multiple follow up calls from my coordinator Jessica, as well as the owner, Joanne, of BeLiteWeight to check in on my recovery and progress.

I have had a very smooth recovery at home, with minimal need for pain medicine after the first three days.

I am now in Phase 3, eating soft/puréed foods which is going okay, but digestion can be painful unless I eat really slow and stop before I get full.

I've lost about 15 lbs. in 3 weeks, which has occurred at a nice steady pace.

I feel very excited to start 2015 mostly healed and on my way to wholeness.

I hope this helps anyone who is considering their options. It cost $7200 (it was $500 extra for the single incision, which was worth every penny), for the best care Mexico has to offer. I strongly feel the care I received greatly surpasses anything I would have gotten in the United States. I am so very, very grateful for this wonderful opportunity to take care of this medical need in Tijuana with this team, and strongly recommend them to anyone who wants the very best care!

Edited by OCSlim

Hi Rocky1,

I checked in on December 11th, had surgery on the 12th, and checked out on the 14th. They would have been fine with me staying an extra day if I wanted to, as well.

They did not use sequential compression devices on me, but did have thigh-high compression socks on me and encouraged me to get up and walk ASAP.

They also provided me with a little spirometer and asked that I use it as often as possible.

If you feel the compression devices are important, they might make them available for you.

If you have it done at HATJ in the spring, you won't be disappointed.

Best wishes, and let us know what you decide.

Thank you for posting about your experience. I'm thrilled for you that everything went so well!

My surgery date with Dr. Rodriguez and Dr. Elmo in Tijuana is scheduled for March 20th, and I can't wait.

How many other patients did they have getting surgery while you were there?

What time did you get to the airport after being released from the hospital? I'm trying to decide which return flight would be best for me to come home on.

Are you having difficulty with any particular foods?

Congratulations!!! I can't wait to follow your continued successes.

Thank you, Okiebon, you've made an excellent choice!

I was one of 3 patients that had surgery that day, and depending on the complexity of the cases, they typically do between 3 and 5 in a day.

We got to the airport at around 9 am, so if you choose a flight at 11am, but check with the coordinator about the best time. I live in Orange County, so my daughter drove down to the airport and picked me up, which was really easy.

I am still in Phase 3 or the soft/puréed foods stage which is going well, however, it is when you get to this stage that you really get to feel what the restriction with solid food is like. I can only tolerate minimal (1/4 cup) amounts at a time, and it is painful to eat too fast or too much. So I am definitely learning how to eat very,very slow, and take tiny bites at a time. For the most part, I'm still using a lot of the Protein supplements, as it is a challenge to get all you need in with regular food. I like the supplements I've purchased do far, and find them to be very quick, nutritious, and convenient meals. I've been using Unjury, nectar, and Pure Protein.

I hope this helps. Are you going through BeLiteWeight? They're extremely helpful if you are.

Good luck on your journey, and let me know if you have any other questions. I'm so excited for you!

It's great to keep reading reviews about BWL. After months of research and communication I have chosen them as well. I'm also doing the single incision. So excited! Thanks for your sharing your experience.

@@OCSlim

How are you feeling?

I'm sorry, I just realized I never thanked you for answering all my questions. THANK YOU! I appreciate all the good information. :D

Yes, I'm going through BLW as well. I met another lady who's going to be there having surgery with Dr. Rodriguez the same day I am, so I'm excited about that.