Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One week post op - things I've come to know

Tomorrow is my one week anniversary.

Things I have come to know:

The date took forever and arrived quickly all at the same time!

When I woke up in recovery I was in a lot of pain and wanted ice/water so bad I would have sold my sole to get it. I had to wait on the ice chips, but I did get something for the pain.

I asked for pain meds when I needed them... And took them when offered. I wasn't out to be anyones hero!

The "gas" pain settled in my back... It was as bad as the stomach pain. Thank goodness it was gone by Friday.

Of all the things I carried to the hospital the only thing I used was my house shoes and my house coat for walking. I didn't care about my cell phone, iPad, music, ebooks.... Nothing... I slept, I walked, I slept some more.

Once home a hot shower felt so good... But I stayed in to long.... I was almost sick :( I have to be careful every day... I love the hot Water but it can't stay in long.

Either from sleeping on my stomach or over compensating for my stomach I had a BAD back ache starting Friday until Monday. Some days it hurt more than my stomach.

Taking my meds (thyroid, BP, and bladder) was easy the first couple of days, now I have to spread them out or I feel sick.

I haven't taken any pain meds during the day since Sunday... Only at night the last two days. I'm going to try tonight with no pain meds and see how I sleep.< /p>

I don't like milk, never have. The first couple of days I was getting in broth or water.... Very little milk. Now I focus on the milk. My stomach is more sensitive now then the first couple of days. Today I will get in my 32 oz of milk and a spoon full of Jello. If I feel weak I drink apple juice/water... About 1/4 cup. But I have to drink the milk! I add sugar free caramel sauce to get it down. Sometimes I drink it cold... Mostly warm.

I went out to Breakfast with my husband and friends Sunday after surgery.. I simply told them that I had surgery and the doctor had me on a liquid diet. I carried my milk in a thermal cup and poured it in the cup from the restaurant a little at a time..... I sipped my milk and had a great time!

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve... I'm glad I had my surgery! People eating around me doesn't bother me... This is my present to myself and my family... I healthier me in the New Year!

Thanks for sharing your story.

post-147109-0-11533700-1407802177_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Keep Pimpin' That Sleeve!

Congratulation GaNanny, I am one week post-op and still learning things I should have learned two months ago. I am now taking it one minute at a time instead of one day at a time. I only miss being able to drink a glass of Water when I want. That is getting better. Hang in there sis!

Joatsaint ... Thanks!!!!

Bsfwife -- your so right! I learn something new all the time! Baby steps!

Tomorrow is my one week anniversary.

Things I have come to know:

The date took forever and arrived quickly all at the same time!

When I woke up in recovery I was in a lot of pain and wanted ice/water so bad I would have sold my sole to get it. I had to wait on the ice chips, but I did get something for the pain.

I asked for pain meds when I needed them... And took them when offered. I wasn't out to be anyones hero!

The "gas" pain settled in my back... It was as bad as the stomach pain. Thank goodness it was gone by Friday.

Of all the things I carried to the hospital the only thing I used was my house shoes and my house coat for walking. I didn't care about my cell phone, iPad, music, ebooks.... Nothing... I slept, I walked, I slept some more.

Once home a hot shower felt so good... But I stayed in to long.... I was almost sick :( I have to be careful every day... I love the hot Water but it can't stay in long.

Either from sleeping on my stomach or over compensating for my stomach I had a BAD back ache starting Friday until Monday. Some days it hurt more than my stomach.

Taking my meds (thyroid, BP, and bladder) was easy the first couple of days, now I have to spread them out or I feel sick.

I haven't taken any pain meds during the day since Sunday... Only at night the last two days. I'm going to try tonight with no pain meds and see how I sleep.

I don't like milk, never have. The first couple of days I was getting in broth or water.... Very little milk. Now I focus on the milk. My stomach is more sensitive now then the first couple of days. Today I will get in my 32 oz of milk and a spoon full of Jello. If I feel weak I drink apple juice/water... About 1/4 cup. But I have to drink the milk! I add sugar free caramel sauce to get it down. Sometimes I drink it cold... Mostly warm.

I went out to Breakfast with my husband and friends Sunday after surgery.. I simply told them that I had surgery and the doctor had me on a liquid diet. I carried my milk in a thermal cup and poured it in the cup from the restaurant a little at a time..... I sipped my milk and had a great time!

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve... I'm glad I had my surgery! People eating around me doesn't bother me... This is my present to myself and my family... I healthier me in the New Year!

wow thanks for the info....note to srlf...dont take too much into hospital..youre right..i probably be too nosey or just sleeping! My surgery is January 28th..like you food will not bother me once im on a liquid diet..but saying that..my emotions could change! How have you been since coming home...do you have staples..stitches? When do you go for a check up? Yes im nosey..i just want to be prepared.

Hi! I went for a two week checkup and have another after one month. They told me to just let the steristrips fall off....3 of the four are off, slowly working on getting the left over adhesive off my skin. Under the steristrips I had liquid skin. Might have a few stitches but if I do I can't see them.

I have one more week of the full liquid diet..... Then I move on to puréed foods. I miss chewing.... I have chewed food then spit it out. Surprisingly I don't miss sweets..... I miss food!

I stopped drinking the skim milk and started drinking two Protein drinks a day. AM and PM. I like the vanilla premier from costco.

I am now fighting a Sinus Infection... Fun,fun,fun! The coughing hurts. :(

Each day is better than the last and I'm looking forward to coming off the BP meds soon!

Good luck with your surgery! I am excited for you!

Hi all - have posted off and on for the last couple of months, but read most posts diligently every night trying to glean new info/advice.

Surgery scheduled for 1/19.

I always wince a bit when I see posts with capital letters in them regarding pain, nausea, etc. :) i.e. "BAD", "HURT", "SICK"...lol. I think to myself - oh dear, I would only capitalize a word if it truly was serious and so yes, I totally believe each post with the those references really mean what they are saying.

So, I "think" I'm a trooper and can handle most things, but hmmm, I guess I won't know until I'm post-op myself.

Surgery scheduled for 1/19.

I really like the 50's group! I'm 58 (how can that be?) and have thought to myself I'm too old, but I know y'all would say "Stop that!" so I'll just say I wish I had made this decision sooner!

Yep me too..im 51 to be "sleeved" on 28th...We will endure pain...but who hasnt...? Yes its best to read " ouch that hurt" rather than " no probs didnt hurt"...ive had lsprascopic twice before so I kinda know that post op feeling..of being windy...both ends! Haha so pack a kite to fly! Haha...in honesty it feels like bad guts..but its only for couple hours or more..I have to be blunt...we are adults....a nurse told me once after having laprascopic surgery..without warning I belched out loud..caught me by surprise..followed by me apologising to all..the nurse came up and said...no its ok...a good sign that the gases that blew your stomach up is coming out...as its gotta leave from somewhere! I guess thats logical ....Spok!

@@GaNanny Hi! I am 4 days post op! Felt great the first couple days. Days 3 and 4 after taking my thyroid and blood pressure pills I too felt sick. Definitely going to try spreading them out and praying that makes a difference.

Edited by faith19evans

@@faith19evans - hang in there! It all gets better! I'm right at 4 months. I have jusy been able to drink Water kind of normally in the last couple of weeks. I can eat anything, but focus on Protein. My hair os falling out like crazy, luckily I have plenty. :) I'm lost 45 pounds since surgery. My advice, walk, walk, walk and walk some more! Congrats on the new you! You are going to love yourself for taking this step!!

Nevadapinkprincess - Congrats!!! It is so going to be worth it!! I am coming up on my six month anniversary and have never looked back for even a moment! I am 16 pounds from my goal and I am amazed every day at the new me!

Nevadapinkprincess - Congrats!!! It is so going to be worth it!! I am coming up on my six month anniversary and have never looked back for even a moment! I am 16 pounds from my goal and I am amazed every day at the new me!

Thank you GaNanny for the inspiration.. I cannot wait!! Sometimes I try to visualize what the future will look and feel like!!

@@nevadapinkprincess - how are you?

Thank you for asking.. I am doing great.. Surgery on Wednesday released on Thursday.. Have felt great just a little tired but having some issues falling asleep like I did before surgery., have zero desire for food. I am getting in my Protein Shakes and a lot of water.. I can definitely tell when I am full and it's right at 4 ounces.. I can also tell I am losing weight.. Excited to see how much at my post op appointment tomorrow!!