Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in month 2 of my 6 month pre op diet. I've gained 15 pounds and I'm worried that since I'm gaining I will get denied by insurance or something. Please someone give me insight to this?

I have BCBS SC.

I hate holidays becasue there is so much good food! Help?

No one can do this for you. You have to work for it. I didn't have a pre-op diet. Talk to your doctor or nutritionist . Perhaps since you're only at month 2 they will let you reset the clock. It may put you back a month or so but it might increase the likelihood of you getting approved.

So are you supposed to be losing on the diet or maintaining? Either way, we gain weight by eating more calories than our bodies need. No one here can help you with that.

Don't let holidays potentially screw up for wls plans. It's not worth it. Remind yourself of that fact when your Faced with junk! I don't know what will happen but the insurance company isn't going to let the holidays be an excuse of why you aren't doing what they require. Stay strong! Good luck.

I feel your pain! I would recommend you analyze why this is happening. My doctor group emphasized learning good habits, not weight loss. However, gaining 15 pounds tells me that you either have a medical condition that needs to be addressed or that you are seriously overeating. Insurance may not approve and there is a good chance your doctor won't approve you for surgery either. That being said, you are only in month 2, this can be turned around. Look at what you want to achieve and why. Is food more important than your goals?

In my family there is a strong history of diabetes nad heart disease. I knew that I was playing with a time bomb and that if I did not do something, I would most likely have serious health issues. I want to have a healthy life and feel good. Keeping that goal in mind helped me through the pre-op period and through the surgery. I am down almost 50 pounds and so glad that I took this step.

Good luck and get with it! It will be worth the hard work.

If you can, do what I did. Stay away from processed foods as much as you can. I ate a low-carb diet and tried to cook everything I could myself.

Anything that is processed probably has high sodium levels and I know from experience that it keeps the Water weight on me.

I tried to eat only chicken and pork tenderloin and low-carb Protein shakes during my pre-op diet. When I would feel head hunger and carb cravings, I'd try to fill up on Protein. After a few days, the carb cravings went away and the rest of the diet was smooth sailing.

Hope this helps a little.

Thank you for the last three posts. Elode... samuelsmom, and joatsaint.

thanks for your kindly encouraging reply to work better for this.

this was my first post on this site after lurking for months, and since I know that this is a personal battle and not looking for someone to pat me on the back and sing a lullaby, I was disappointed at the initial replies. So thank you for being encouraging and kind in your communications, as well as real.

Thank you for the last three posts. Elode... samuelsmom, and joatsaint.

thanks for your kindly encouraging reply to work better for this.

this was my first post on this site after lurking for months, and since I know that this is a personal battle and not looking for someone to pat me on the back and sing a lullaby, I was disappointed at the initial replies. So thank you for being encouraging and kind in your communications, as well as real.

I had to wait a really long time to make it to the OR. There was my cancer, hysterectomy, colonoscopy that I had to wait months for. I Then I went on a "working/teaching vacation" to cape cod. I call it the "vacation of the last supper." I was gone for 5 weeks and I gained about 20 lbs. They put me on a rapid weight loss diet immediately. I lived on Protein shakes for a month. In that month, I lost 25 lbs. Almost a year to the date of my attending the community talk, I had the surgery. Please remember that if you gain weight, you will need to lose it later on. One of the great things about waiting so long was that I really got to consider every single possibility. I know how hard it is to "diet." But just put your head down and do it. I do not have one regret about having the surgery.

I read in the New York Times that only half of the people who start the process make it to the OR. You can make a choice to be one of those people. Hang in there.

I screwed up my pre op tonight . Now I'm sick as a dog over a little potato salad and my mother in laws ham that was disgusting. I would of been so much happier with my Protein Shake LOL lord that woman can not cook ????

Well, I went back and looked at my initial weight and I had it in my head wrong, so although I have gained, it was at least only 8 pounds in 2 months. So maybe it won't reflect as badly.

Pretty sure if I am more consitent with my exercise in the following months and keep a better eye on my intake it will all work out just fine.