Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unbearably painful post op - 4 days out

Can barely move, can't sleep at all.

In SO much pain.

I was discharged about 28 hours after my operation and I think it was way to soon.

This is legit unbearable, it's making me regret this entire surgery it hurts so badly.

How long till this pain stops? I could really use some encouragement. I'm feeling super helpless and I scream in pain every time i move.

It sounds like to me you need better pain management so you can deep breathe and start moving. It is very dangerous to be in that much pain at your weight. It will discourage you from moving and taking deep breaths. That could lead to a blood clot. Either take your pain pills or call your doctor about better pain management. You need to be up and moving immediately. Good Luck!

Hi, I'm sorry to hear things haven't gotten better. I had my surgery Monday too, and my doctor put me on strong pain meds because I told him that I have a very low tolerance for pain, and I was determined to return to the gym in one week to start at least walking on the treadmill. Like the earlier suggestion your doctor needs to give you something stronger. I have strong pain at time, but I make myself walk to the mail box or up and down my long hallway to help with preventing blood clots. I was told after the in should be manageable, but everyone is different. The night of my surgery I had no pain, and I was up walking with no problems witch is why I was sent home the next day, but once I was home it hit me like a Mack truck. So just take it one day at a time and remember to walk in your hallways or to the mailbox at least.

My discharge papers said if my pain was not controlled with the script I was given, I should call immediately. Call your doctor. You shouldn't be suffering with pain. Good luck and hope you get some

relief soon.

The only pain I had was from the gas. You should not be in so much pain. If you can't get ahold of your doctor, consider your local er. You need to be sure your okay. You just had major surgery and need help right now. Please see a doctor right away. Let me know if your'e okay.

I am in the same situation. I've had children and kidney stones. I'm taking hydromorphone. Its not touching this pain! I just want to move on with recovery!

I'm so sorry ladies. I know what your going through!!!

It's gas pain and sadly narcotics don't work on it.

Here is the only advice I have but its good advice. First off, walk. You must walk. Right after you take your pain pills, gets up and walk for 2-3 minutes around the house. Repeat.

Lay on your left side and tuck your legs in, kind of fetal position. Try to belch or pass gas. This is key, you've got to get that gas out of you. A little bit of broth actually seems to help with this, just a few spoonfuls. You've got to get that air out.

Call your doctor and demand stronger painkillers. They won't work on the gas pain but they will help your head deal with the pain. You can also request a sleeping pill to help you get some rest.

Best wishes, hang in there. It will pass in a day or so.

I am one day post op and am already at home and I understand your pain. So far I have not found a painkiller that works. Sitting down getting up are the worst and I'm not even thinking about lying on the bed because I never would get up. I think we just have to hang in there until our bodies adjust.

definitely call your doc if your pain meds aren't doing controlling your pain. i was in a pain for a few days after i got home from the hospital in my right side, just because of transferring out of bed or out of a chair BUT it does get better! you will feel better and just relax and take things easy while you're trying to adjust. best of luck to you!

I am 3 days post op. I was supposed to go home yesterday but was having trouble getting in enough fluids on my own, plus feeling nauseous and pain after sipping Clear Liquids. The enemy is gas big time. I kept walking the hospital hallways, trying to get the gas to pass. It wasn't working. The pressure in my abdomen was horrible. I was in tears. Then my surgeon prescribed a suppository. About an hour and a half after having that inserted, the gas finally started coming out. Plus I started having small bowel movements. Then I started feeling much better! The nurses, practitioners and doctors told me your bowels kind of go to sleep and you have to get everything moving again. So I was released today. I'm starting the pureed diet now until my first follow up appt on Jan 2. I only had 2 oz. of Protein Shake this evening but will start trying other things tomorrow. I'm going to take it slow as I can and make sure first and foremost that I get in enough liquids. So, for me, a suppository is what got me going and feeling relief. I will use them again if necessary. If you're having that much pain, call your Dr right away. Don't just lie there! That's the worse thing you could do!

Few days later...how is everyone's pain going?

I'm getting better, and the pain only bothers me now when I lay down but even that is getting better and I don't need much medicine. How are you doing Angelkeeper4?

Laying down I'm virtually painfree. Once I move and stand I have pain in my lower stomach if I clench and lift my lower belly I can walk with minimal pain. I'm only taking tylenol now because pain or not I have to drive tomorrow ...should be interesting.....

Bought myself a belly band meant for pregnancy yesterday ($17 @Walmart) its a lifechanger!!! Fully recommended. Feel so much better.

I will try that, thank you!