Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Right, Wrong...Good, Bad?

Good Morning Everyone,

I am 4 weeks (26 days) post op..but I have some lingering questions. On my pre-op week before diet...I tolerated the Protein shakes..I guzzled them to get it over with..I lost 7 lbs pre-op..as of last week the scale at Publix showed a total 20 lb weight loss which is awesome for 3 weeks...I don't have a scale at home and satisfied with that since I would drive myself crazy on it everyday.

At this juncture of post op..I can pretty much eat anything..have difficulties with eggs but for the most part everything is good..I hear some people have issues with constipation...but as grossly as it sounds I have just the opposite..very watery diarhea. I am not drinking Protein Shakes only because I have tried every flavor and the sweetness makes me gag..I am however, eating broiled fish for Breakfast and a lean cuisine for lunch which gives me almost the recommended daily protein.. and for dinner I can only eat a few bites of something or another...I am trying very hard to get all my Water in, but failing in that area which I knew from the beginning that would be my major challenge.

My question is...am I doing ok for the most part or if I don't get all the protein and water in will I be defeating my purpose of the surgery and start gaining weight. Like I said i am not eating much only a small portion of what I used to eat..so chances are I will still lose?

Just any input is welcome. Feel free to rag on me for not getting in my water..or anything else deemed necessary.

Have a great day :unsure:

I would guess the lean cuisine for lunch is probably causing a lot of your digestive issues. At 26 days post op I was just finishing up eating only pureed Protein foods and Protein shakes, and starting on 2 ounces of soft protein (chicken or fish mostly) and a half ounce of cooked veggies per meal. Actually that is what I'm still eating, except I'm up to an ounce of veggies. You should really concentrate on protein and liquids. There are ways to get your protein in besides pre-made shakes.< /p>

If you chose to have fish for Breakfast so what. in some countries fish is a breakfast food..lol

Protein is the building block of WLS. It is important to eat between 800-1200 calories as your metabolism will shut down and you have just got it working for you gain.

Please keep trying to get the Water in. It will help in so many ways.

You are in the learning process it will take time to find your way. But you will. Your asking questions so I know you want this badly!

There are some foods at over 2 years out that I still cannot eat. Dang though sugar isn't one of them. That is my nemesis.

If a food does bother you stop eating it and try again in a month or so... Trust me it will sooner or later get much easier and you will be watching the amounts you eat as well as what you eat even more closely as your new sleeve heals and relaxes some. Getting a hold of your thinking now can really be an aid in this...

Seems to me you are doing well......

Except the diarrhea part. That too should pass but if it does not..Your team will help you get a fix for that.... More dense Protein and veggies. :)

It sounds alot like it could be dumping syndrome...something that you re-introduced just isn't staying with you. It may be a good idea as RJ'S/beginning suggests, and talk to your surgeon/nutritionist about it. I had a similar issue at that same stage, but I came to find out that I was drinking the Isopure, which contains Splenda...ol' Sleevie Wonder wasn't having any part of that, so once I stopped, everything bowel-wise turned to normal.

Wish you the best!!

I just spoke to my NUT and she told me to get some Pro-Biotic, and try very hard to get more Water in my system..it's possible I am still substituting food for liquid and then again it could be what you said..it's a way my body rejects a certain food rather than the normal up-chuck version.

Again, I feel great...just need to get my Protein in and most importantly the water....I know what I need to do...it's the "doing" part that is the challenge to overcome.

Thank you all for listening. :rolleyes:

Eclectik- you sound exactly like me. I had my sleeve surgery on nov 18th. I have had loose stool/ diarrhea since. My surgeon had me tested for c diff and that was negative. I ended up having to get three bags of iv fluids because I got dehydrated about 3 weeks out. I went back to the surgeon the other day and he said he wants me to take Probiotics for awhile to see if it helps. By the way, I even switched to lactaid milk because I thought maybe making my shakes with regular milk was causing it, but that was no help. My dr was confused too because most have Constipation issues post op.

Get your Water in. It's very important that your do so. Water helps with your digestion. You are also at risk of dehydration since you are having diarrhea. You really need to meet your Protein goals. A lean cuisine is too processed not to mention full of sodium to adequately meet your nutrition needs. Another alternative is to buy unflavored Liquid Protein like GENEPRO or prosource and add that to Soup or tea. If you don't like the Protein shakes looks for protein alternatives such as greek yogurt, hummus, ricotta cheese and Beans. Even buying a rotisserie chicken and eating that for lunch with some veg is likely better than that lean cuisine.

ETA: Not getting enough protein is one of the main causes of hair loss.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I also have the same problem. I am 1 month out and still have it. Went to NUT and he said that the Peanut Butter and mayo (high fat) was the cause.

I also have the same problem. I am 1 month out and still have it. Went to NUT and he said that the Peanut Butter and mayo (high fat) was the cause.

How much PB and mayo were you eating at 1 mnth? I didn't even have mayo until I was on soft foods. PB was allowed from day one but only like less than a tbsp. PB is a Protein.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I have been on soft foods. I was eating 2 tbsp. pb a day, but gave it up. My son ordered from the deli so I got a tuna salad. Had 1/2 cup and a half hour later bathroom was my friend. At home I use light mayo and light margarine and that doesn't bother me.

Oh I see. I was beginning to think my tummy was bionic ????

I never did more than a tbsp. I can't do light mayo because it's too processed. I do a tsp of Just Mayo & a tsp of Greek yogurt. You can't taste the difference and I get a tiny bit of Protein from the yogurt.

I don't like yogurt milk or cheese so I can't Protein from these foods.

Yeah, I went to store and got greek yogurt and also instead of the Cran-Grape juice which has alot of carbs..I got Crystal Light Pink Lemonade which makes it easier to drink with have a pouch. I made homemade turkey meatballs...and instead of lean cuisine I have fish for Breakfast and a turkey meatball for lunch..I am eating sensible for dinner..but did a really stupid stupid thing last night...I ate chicken for dinner..just a little bit..but was craving a sip of milk...1 sip turned to 2...and afterwards...i headed for the sink..it came back up....stupid i tell ya.

I am trying to get back on track..getting all my Protein..and the right amount of carbs now...working on my fluids and I should be good to go..I'm apparently on that dreaded Stall phase..Stepped on Publix scale last night and it hasn't moved..still only at a 20 lb weight loss.

:wacko:

Like the other writer said, there are other sources of Protein like unflavored powders you can add to your beverage of choice...I found Amazon.com has some varieties. Also, my dietician suggested adding dry milk powder to whatever to get in extra protein, and I do. It actually mixes well into Soups, casseroles, drinks...just a spoonful or so. Good luck and Merry Christmas!