Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dehydration and getting over the mental block

Hey guys! I'm four days out from surgery. Been home for two and a half days. I am nowhere close to getting in all the Water I need. I haven't had more than twenty ounces in the past two days combined. I've only had 8 ounces of water today it's 10:30 pm. I'm getting about 30 grams of Protein per day. I've already lost 10 pounds 4 days out from surgery and I'm scared I'm not losing fat. I don't know how to get over this mental block.

I tried setting my phone alarm to take a sip every two minutes but that didnt work too well because I drift off to sleep often. I don't even know how much liquid I should get per hour. My body is exhausted and I can't seem to push myself to get water. I'm scared it will hurt or I won't know when I'm full and over-drink. How did/are you guys push/ing getting the water you need?

Plain Water was/is the hardest thing for me to get down. When I was in your stage I drank coconut water and Isopure to get my hydration and Protein in. It's all a work in progress but you defiantly need to stay on the fluids. Maybe you just need some flavor added? The weight loss is more than likely a lot of dehydration. Just keep sipping it will get better you just have to be conscious and stay focused when you are awake.

I'm 6wks out and I still have a daily struggle. I absolutely can not do just plain H2o :( even though I try daily. I've battled nausea and just plain Water seems to be a trigger. I wAsnt even able to do water before I left the hospital. However, I am able to do juice, unsweetened Decaf tea or coffee, crystal light, g2, milk or just about any other liquid. For me my Protein Drinks count as part of my daily liquid for the time being. I still have issues and have yet to master getting in the 64oz in a day. But I do try every day and do the best I can. My nut says some take longer than others. I assure you when your full you will know it! Sipping slowly keeping a sip to about 1/2 tablespoon helps. Start with 2 oz per hour that's and make sure u sip once every fifteen min then increase. liquids pass quickly through the sleeve so my nut advised me and I am learning. So you should be able to build yourself up. However when u do have the full feeling. Stop sipping and do a little walking even if you are simply pacing the room. It helps to move any gas or trapped air. I promise you this as many told me when I first had my surgery and I'm sure you will here again. It gets better. With each passing day I am learning my new tummy and how it acts. Hugs of support.

@@Elode You are possibly one of the kindest and most helpful individuals I've run across! :) I'm a big Crystal Light fan but my favorite flavor doesn't tempt me. I have different flavor Water enhancers but they don't help me get the Water down an easier. I've tried broths but they just make me feel nauseous . The only thing that is easy for me to get down is 100% apple juice but I'm only allowed to have 6 ounces a day.

I had my husband buy me ice cube trays today. I just filled them up with assorted flavors of water, stuck toothpicks in them, and threw them in the freezer, so I'll guess I'll find out if that works tomorrow.

I guess there are only so many things you can do with water lol! Any other interesting tips you've seen around here? :)

@@athena3127 So I should try to get 2 ounces per hour, 1/2 tablespoon sips! Thank you so much! I haven't been able to get a clear answer for that question. And every time I take a sip I get anxious that it's too big so I've been taking super super small baby sips!

I've been very lucky in that I'm not fighting nausea but I get really painful shooting gas pains after I drink a small amount, or no amount lol I get them when I'm standing up walking and in the middle of the night they wake me up! At least I hope it's gas :unsure: I have no gas at all in my shoulders and chest anymore so yay!

Walking to help with full feeling is something I haven't tried! I'll add that to my to-do list! Thank you!

@@MrsMurky721 Awe thanks I try! It's almost like I live on here but I assure you I don't : ) Do you think if you did half Water (maybe Less) half juice you would like it? The only other thing I did at that stage besides coconut water (which is an awesome hydrator) Is I bought some Popsicle molds from target (online) and made up some Syntrax Nectar Protein in fuzzy navel (stronger than normal) and made protein popsicles. That's about it, I didn't like anything else.