Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on Nov. 12th, between the operation and my 2 week followup on the 26th of Nov. I lost 17lbs since then I have only lost 10. I feel like I have stalled miserably the doctor told me I should easily lose 10% of my body weight by my next appt. which is the 23rd. That 10% would be about 38 lbs and and I am not even close. Wondering if anyone else went through this and what they did to correct or get past the stall. I do swim for about a hr each day Monday thru Friday and I am getting my Water in. The real slowdown happened when I was allowed to have soft foods again. I have followed the recommended diet and types of food I should be eating. I do have one protien shake a day to boost my protien. I am just frustrated because I am not reaching my goals and I am not where the Dr. said I should be.

@@TJBab Your weight loss thus far is amazing! Your surgeon can "want" all he or she wants but your body is going to do as it darn well pleases! If your doing what your suppose to, and you obviously are, then Your body will do what it's suppose to do. You've lost almost 30 lbs in a month? I can't believe your Dr would be upset about that?! Tell him to chill! (In the nicest way possible) don't be upset your doing GREAT!!!

My doctor actually showed her disappointment in my loss at my one month visit. Really? ! At my three month visit she still wasn't happy, telling me no more unflavored Protein Powder and only one egg for Breakfast. Clearly she was not interested in discussing my daily caloric or Protein intake. She told me not to worry about either, because I was not an athlete and needed to live off my fat reserve. I left there in tears and completely confused. I have been losing very slowly, but I'm losing. My body is doing it's thing and I've made peace with that. Try to do the same and you will have a much more stressful journey. Best.

That's crazy! A stall is not losing any weight at all. You're losing just not super fast. Some people are fast losers, some are slow but steady. If your doctor has concerns about the rate at which you are losing, they should have the nutritionist review your diet.

I am still required to keep a food diary. At my 2 week I had lost 26lbs, but at my 6 week I had only lost another 6. They were fine with this. The only caution they gave me was to keep my calories under 800. I've been mindful of this and made adjustments on how to do that and still get in my Protein.

Don't be discouraged. Keep doing what you are doing and get in that exercise! It really helps move things along.

I can't believe I'm going to finally admit this, but I have not been back to the surgeon since my 6 week appointment because of that same attitude his PA had about my weight loss. I was still doing shakes and full liquids at that point (at 6 weeks...his request to treat my GERD, another thing I didn't agree with he did) and when I told him I had three 12 oz shakes a day plus Soups in between, he told me that was TOO MUCH. He actually told me I should have been only having three 4 OZ shakes instead. I did the math...that was a grand total of 500 calories a day...AT 6 WEEKS. He proceeded to tell me he thought my weight loss was too slow...because of the 12 oz shakes. Well, needless to say, I haven't been back. I'm pursuing my follow up care with my primary instead. Sometimes I think they get so wrapped up in their own reputation of making sure their patients are successful to make them look good, they forget that we are all different and some may just not lose as fast as others. What works for one may not work for another (shouldn't they know that??). I know my body best, and I have done just fine thus far tweaking my diet to adapt to my rate if weight loss. I have lost no hair, I'm losing steadily 2-3 lbs a week, I track my Protein and Water intake and I religiously walk and take my Vitamins. Doctors (or PA'S) don't always know best, and sometimes we need to be our OWN advocate!

***DISCLAIMER***
I am NOT AT ALL advocating anybody to dump their surgeon and not do their follow up care with them because you may not agree with their treatment plan. I felt knowledgeable and comfortable enough to take matters into my own hands. I know this is not typical for everyone.

Edited by Babbs

I do kinda feel like u. Although I have my first follow up this coming week so I haven't seen him yet. I had issues early on and kept calling and kept getting the that's normal speech. Eventual went to urgent care to find I had a nasty infection. Before surgery if I called office they called back within minutes. After it was in a few hours and I felt unheard. I feel like I bought a used car and now that I have the car they don't want to help or deal with me. But we will see on Tuesday how it goes

In my handbook they had calories suggestions at 400-600 at 4 - 6 weeks and 600-800 for 6 - 8 weeks. After that it's 800 -1000 depending on the person. As I mentioned, at my 6 week appointment it was recommended I stay no higher than 800 calories.

Honestly 3 12 ounce shakes and 2 Soups does seem like a lot. However 3 4 ounces shakes sounds like too little. My program has a team approach so I see the nutritionist at my follow ups as well. She goes over my food dairy and makes specific suggestions on how to adjust my diet. For example some foods provide good Protein but also are high in carbs which may slow down the weight loss. She reviewed with me alternative ways to get in Protein and keep the carbs low.

Wow.....It is so sad to see posts like this, I feel bad for you guys. There is no excuse for you leaving your docs office and feeling this way.

My surgeon is nice enough, but straight to the point. My husband keeps reminding me surgeons cut, that is their job. I am a type of patient that likes to be coddled. (yes I am a big baby LOL) So I love the job my surgeon did on me, but he is not the coddling type. Now Debbie the P.A. in the office who I will be seeing from now on I LOVE! I have had to call a few times with questions and I never feel rushed or brushed off. I saw my surgeon at my 2 1/2 week check up everything went fine he was happy with my progress but wanted to keep me on two shakes a day and one small meal. So that is what I have been doing. He didn't want me tracking calories (but I do) but did want me tracking Protein, Water and my sugars. He did write up a plan for me for where should be, but I am trying to look at that as goals and not written in stone. I was at 270.7 this morning and my "goal" to be at for my Dec 30th appt is 260. I am pretty sure I will get close (I have been losing pretty steadily) but if I don't I am overly THRILLED my progress so far!!!

Hang in there everyone. I know we are all doing the best we can and losing is losing no matter how much or how fast!!!

@@CheleLynn45 - My doctor is similar. It's why I like that there is a team approach with this program. For example I had to have a PIC-line put in because they couldn't get a vein for the IV. I am allergic to latex. They told me they were going to use latex free products, but b the time I got home, my entire shoulder was one big itchy rash. No painful but itching. The doctor just said "that sometimes happens". The PA took the time to explain that even with latex free bandages the glue itself contains a small amount of latex. Thankfully they had arranged a visiting nurse for me when I was discharged so she had already told me to get some hydro-cortisone cream for the itch.

To the OP, perhaps ask if you can talk to the nutritionist and have her review what you are eating so you can get closer to the the doctor's recommended weight loss target.

BLERDgirl, I see what you're saying...but take into consideration the fact that I had been on full liquids almost completely for 6 WEEKS. I was STARVING. And he was trying to get me to cut back even more? I don't know, right or wrong, I just wasn't comfortable with the whole treatment plan I was getting dealing with my GERD. I think he was just hoping if he kept me on liquids long enough, it would just magically go away. Well, it didn't. I ended up slowly introducing foods on my own and haven't looked back. I still suffer with GERD periodically, but I will see a gastro about that when the time comes. People really need to realize that although some doctors are very knowledgeable and have your best interest at heart, you don't have to take what they say as gospel. It's okay to break out on your own and seek alternate care or a second opinion. It's our right.

It reminds me of an old joke:

What's the difference between God and a doctor?

God knows he's not a doctor.

Edited by Babbs

@@TJBab

Sorry to threadjack a little.My point was that the surgeons sometimes lose sight of the big picture. Just because you aren't exactly the "standard", doesn't necessarily mean you're doing something wrong. You are doing just fine. Let your body do it's thing. I agree with what someone else said, maybe get with your NUT and have them look over your meal plan and maybe give suggestions? But I think you're doing just fine :)

Edited by Babbs

Agreed - That's my point in all of this. Don't avoid your doctor or bariatric team. Make them work for you. When they tell you they want you at a specific goal, make sure they also show you how to get there.

Edited by BLERDgirl

This is YOUR journey, not your surgeon's. F***ck their textbook approach and expected weight loss tables. Take responsibility for your own choices and let your body lose at its own pace. It took me 3 months to lose 30 pounds and I didn't have anyone breathing down my neck, telling me it wasn't good enough. Every pound I lost was a success story, and no matter how slow it may have come off, I still reached and even passed my goals. Besides, losing slower is healthier and SHAME ON YOUR DOCTOR putting unnecessary pressure on you to lose x amount by a certain date.

Edited by Kindle

This is YOUR journey, not your surgeon's. F***ck their textbook approach and expected weight loss tables. Take responsibility for your own choices and let your body lose at its own pace. It took me 3 months to lose 30 pounds and I didn't have anyone breathing down my neck, telling me it wasn't good enough. Every pound I lost was a success story, and no matter how slow it may have come off, I still reached and even passed my goals. Besides, losing slower is healthier and SHAME ON YOUR DOCTOR putting unnecessary pressure on you to lose x amount by a certain date.

And THIS is why I adore you :)

My doctor us great so far. His staff though need to learn some manners. They are the worst. I can't call the office to ask for help or questions because the insult me everytime. I am apparently bothering them and all questions to them are stupid. I will be going to my primary after surgery and after my 6 weeks check up. I really do not want to step foot into that office if I don't have to.