Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor us great so far. His staff though need to learn some manners. They are the worst. I can't call the office to ask for help or questions because the insult me everytime. I am apparently bothering them and all questions to them are stupid. I will be going to my primary after surgery and after my 6 weeks check up. I really do not want to step foot into that office if I don't have to.

Report them. I don't tolerate being treated rudely under any circumstances. Most hospitals have feedback forms. Many can be completed on line. Make sure you complete it ASAP.

I'm lucky too. I love my surgeon, his two PAs, his bariatric nurses and even the receptionists. They're knowledgeable and helpful and patient. Not a single complaint here.

They also have never:

* Given me monthly / quarterly weight loss targets

* Given me anything other than positive feedback

* Treated me like an idiot

* Failed to listen attentively to me

* Failed to return my calls

I'm not the world's fastest loser, although I haven't had any stalls either. My first three months post-op weight losses have been 10 lbs, 12 lbs, 9 lbs. I think / hope my fourth month loss (coming up in a few days) will total 10 lbs.

I know that's going to slow down soon. And I would never expect anyone at my surgeon's office to give me grief. They are all about positive reinforcement there.

BTW, the bariatric PA urged me last week to start moving my calories up from 800 to 1,000 as it's comfortable to do so.

I'm really sorry to hear that some of your surgeons and their staffs aren't empathetic, knowledgeable and rooting hard for your long-term success. Seems like that's what their job is.

I'm lucky too. I love my surgeon, his two PAs, his bariatric nurses and even the receptionists. They're knowledgeable and helpful and patient. Not a single complaint here.

They also have never:

* Given me monthly / quarterly weight loss targets

* Given me anything other than positive feedback

* Treated me like an idiot

* Failed to listen attentively to me

* Failed to return my calls

I'm not the world's fastest loser, although I haven't had any stalls either. My first three months post-op weight losses have been 10 lbs, 12 lbs, 9 lbs. I think / hope my fourth month loss (coming up in a few days) will total 10 lbs.

I know that's going to slow down soon. And I would never expect anyone at my surgeon's office to give me grief. They are all about positive reinforcement there.

BTW, the bariatric PA urged me last week to start moving my calories up from 800 to 1,000 as it's comfortable to do so.

I'm really sorry to hear that some of your surgeons and their staffs aren't empathetic, knowledgeable and rooting hard for your long-term success. Seems like that's what their job is.

Ditto. They were just as enthused with my 6lb weight loss as my 26lb loss. I am extremely pleased with my team. I just wish people would call medical staff on their BS. Don't allow anyone to make you feel bad. This is challenging enough.

I plan on speaking with mine as soon as the surgery is over. I did not want them to postpone or mess with my surgery time if I complain. But right after I am speaking my mind. They wont want me back after I give them a lesson in manners and respect of a patient who is giving them there paycheck. I hate saying that but without business they would not have a job. If they can't treat people with respect then they should find a different career.

P.S. I will add one thing: I always go to my meetings with lots of data -- about my calories, Protein, daily weight, etc. I record all this on My Fitness Pal and print out reports / charts of these stats for the person(s) I will be seeing. They never have to guess or assume or wonder about what I'm doing. And neither do I.

One PA told me that this is unusual, that many patients can only report what they ate yesterday, but before that they're pretty fuzzy.

Based on this, it's clear that some patients (NOT anyone who's posted above!) are pretty dumb, pretty undisciplined or so determined "not be on a diet" that they pay no attention to what they're eating / drinking.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

P.S. I will add one thing: I always go to my meetings with lots of data -- about my calories, Protein, daily weight, etc. I record all this on My Fitness Pal and print out reports / charts of these stats for the person(s) I will be seeing. They never have to guess or assume or wonder about what I'm doing. And neither do I.

One PA told me that this is unusual, that many patients can only report what they ate yesterday, but before that they're pretty fuzzy.

Based on this, it's clear that some patients (NOT anyone who's posted above!) are pretty dumb, pretty undisciplined or so determined "not be on a diet" that they pay no attention to what they're eating / drinking.

Guess I would have made a very bad bariatric program patient! I don't own a scale, I have no idea how many calories I consume and I certainly don't remember what I ate last week. ????. Not to mention the words I would have used if anyone told me I wasn't losing fast enough.

Edited by Kindle

I plan on speaking with mine as soon as the surgery is over. I did not want them to postpone or mess with my surgery time if I complain. But right after I am speaking my mind. They wont want me back after I give them a lesson in manners and respect of a patient who is giving them there paycheck. I hate saying that but without business they would not have a job. If they can't treat people with respect then they should find a different career.

My hospital does patient survey's. I think I get at least one a month. I have one sitting her now I need to complete. The best part is they are anonymous. I fill them out faithfully. Check your hospital's website. Most hospital's have them.

Wow after reading this post I'm in shock and somewhat scared of my next apt on the 22nd. I know I hit a stall and haven't bounced back. Hopefully my dr will continue to be supportive.

Wow after reading this post I'm in shock and somewhat scared of my next apt on the 22nd. I know I hit a stall and haven't bounced back. Hopefully my dr will continue to be supportive.

Don't be these experiences aren't the norm. My program has been nothing but supportive.

Edited by BLERDgirl

When I went for my second of three pre-op weigh-ins, I felt very upset because I didn't lose anything and the NUT made me feel like I was in danger of not having my surgery. I lost plenty the first month, and plenty the third month, but the second month for whatever reason, my body held on to the weight. I became very anxious about not being able to have the surgery, and that led to overeating. I finally told the program coordinator at the monthly support meeting, and she assured me that I was doing fine. The next meeting I had with the NUT, I was assertively and calmly not taking any negative feelings.

They work for you. Not the other way around. And we're not machines, we're all different.

To the OP: I think you're doing marvelous!!! Keep up the good work!

As the other said, everyone loses at a different rate. As long as we are doing what we are supposed to, which includes a calorie restriction (varies by program) then we are doing all we can. I hate it when I see people's physician's chastising for not losing fast enough. I think sometimes it is because they have to report those stats to maintain their center of excellence or something, though I don't know that for sure.

Sometimes our bodies do what they want, when they want. As I lost weight, there was no rhyme or reason to why some months I would lose 15 pounds, and other months I'd lose 8. On average, over time, I lost about 10 pounds a month, which is 2-3 pounds a week. As long as that scale is going in the right direction, we are successful!