Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I knew better but...

So I've been reading these forums for about a year now. I know that the time between insurance approval and surgery is not the time to binge eat all the food I think I'll miss. I've prepared myself for these three weeks before surgery for these very emotions I'm feeling now. But I broke, damn it. I find myself thinking "This may be the last chance I can eat ________" And then I have to fight with myself to not run out and buy whatever it is. Luckily my husband has been very supportive and has helped me through those cravings.

Today I was shopping for Vitamins while my husband was at work and magically ended up in the cookie isle ( L O L !!!) Bought some Double Stuffed Oreos. Trouble. Ate a third of the container. And then I was considering hiding the package so my husband wouldn't know :P That set off my alarm. In the middle of writing this post I got up and threw them away.

At least I recognize that I'm doing this so that means I can stop. But crap! I really didn't think it would be so hard. I start my two week pre-op diet on Thanksgiving but I'm thinking of just starting early so I can get out of this "last chance" mind set and into the swing of surgery.

You're not the only one... I kept having food funerals. Lol I was only required to do a one day preop diet but chose to do a two week because I would have kept eating. Now that I had surgery I'm glad I did!!! Good luck and enjoy your food for now!!

I think it's completely normal. I had a few of those last meals and cheated on my pre-op diet a few times. I don't look back and wish I had eaten more of certain foods. Except maybe bread because it causes me a lot of pain and I can't have it at all now.

I gave in to all those cravings and it helped nothing. I gained weight and I actually miss those foods worse now because the memories ate fresher, if that makes sense. Im 4 days post op and my mind misses those foods. My stomach could care less. Dont be too hard on yourself, every one does it. Its not the end of the world but you may gain weight and then when you start to lose, your having to lose those pounds first :/

@ - Don't kick yourself too hard. I did the same thing several times. Oreos are good, dammit! :P

@@Thenewnic - I love that term, food funerals. Made me laugh!

That will be me, down here in New Orleans and eating all the spicy food I can, because I guess after the VS, spicy food will be a no no.

Only temporarily unless your tummy decides to rebel

I did it too! Double stuff Oreos too! As Brn2blossom said, your mind will still crave it post surgery. I'm about 12 weeks out and it gets easier to not crave that stuff. You will be able to eat normal foods again so it's not really a funeral. What you will never do is eat those wonderful foods to a point of being mentally satisfied. So if I really wanted an Oreo, and there was one sitting there I might eat it depending on what day of the month it is. So this is where you still have to have will power afterwards and remind yourself that just because you CAN eat it, doesn't mean you SHOULD!

Lucky I can't stand those things lol.

Thanks for the support everyone. It's so nice to come over here and not worry about being judged. I found a delicious Peanut Butter chocolate Protein shake recipe so I'm allowing myself to turn to that whenever I'm about to have a lapse in judgement. I've also found a very healthy Indian recipe that I'm going to try instead of going to my favorite India buffet! Progress!!

I've found myself thinking "But I deserve it after the day I've had!" Until I figured something out. I deserve to not have it! :D

My best advice would be to start seeing a psychologist, find a support group like Overeaters Anonymous or for bariatric patients, and remember that everything will get better. Your brain signals will change after surgery and you'll crave the crap less and less. You'll still be able to enjoy the old foods usually, but in moderation because there's that physical realty them there's the part of your brain that will be rewired and can tell you finally that one cookie is enough. Pre-op seems to be the hardest time for most because we have to rely on a broken will power and decades of bad habits. I feel ya. I'm supposed to eat Atkins style for pre-op. I started yesterday but had a cookie binge late at night. It was weird because I feel asleep soon after and woke up later with a swollen face. It was a scary thing but the swelling went away.

food funerals! I love that term lol. But yes, I have had a few days of them - hence why tonight was baked tilapia and catfish night.... I can't just wait until pre-op liquid diet to start to eat healthy again.