Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your vitamin schedule and help with crushed pills' taste

I would like to know your Vitamin schedule and how to take these bitterly crushed pills.< /p>

I was informed by my NUT that I will be taking pillls crushed for the first 6 weeks. Suffering through the bitterness of it all.

She has me taking Prilosec OTC, 5 calcium citrate w/vit D, B-50 complex, Ursodiol (for prevention of Gallstones empty the capsule), plus 5 other prescription tablets. (These are the things I have to take crushed each day).

I also take 2 chewable Centrums a day and a sublingual B-12 once a week.

This is my ideal day of taking Vitamins

Take chewable Centrum upon waking

About 2 hours later, I try to take 1 Calcium citrate, B-50, and Ursodiol.

After another few hours, I try to remember to take another 2 calcium citrate

About 5:30 or 6:00 I take the last 2 calcium citrate and my prescription meds.

About 8:00 or 9:00 take the last chewable Centrum.

I have not yet figured out a way to take these without having to suffer through the bitterness. I just crush them all, make a little paste with Water in a small dose cup and try to get it down as quick as possible. I can't believe they haven't yet come back up on me after taking them because the taste is horrible.

What ways did you use to get through crushing your meds and taking them?

Did you know there are chewable calcium citrate + D3 pills? I take two of them (600 mg. Ca each), which could (if your NUT approves) replace 5 of your crushed calcium citrate pills.

YUCK!

BTW, I never had to crush my pills. Wasn't required. But my thyroid and Protonix (a PPI) pills are both small.

I also just finished taking a regimen of antibiotic capsules (pretty large) for a UTI. No problemo.

Did you know there are chewable calcium citrate + D3 pills? I take two of them (600 mg. Ca each), which could (if your NUT approves) replace 5 of your crushed calcium citrate pills.

What chewables are you using?

Yes the 5 Calcium citrate crushed are nasty.

I was allowed a Peanut Butter. (I eat almond butter,but same thing). When I crushed my pills, I would then make mix them inside the almond butter and slowly eat it that way. The almond butter *almost* masked the taste of the crushed meds and made it easier to take them.

I've heard of some people mixing theirs with a bit of applesauce.

I never had to crush pills. I was taking regular pills as soon as I got home.

There are also liquid Vitamins and sublingual Vitamins you can take instead of having to deal with crushing your pills. You might look at a Vitamin store or online.

@@VSGAnn2014, what's the name of your chewable Calcium supplements? I'd like to try those!

Sure thing ...

First one I tried is "Caltrate" ... see www.caltrate.com.

The other one is also "Caltrate" -- but is a "Soft Chew" (chocolate truffle).

They're both 600 mg. calcium + D3 (takes two pills a day).

Hard to turn down the chocolate truffle one, eh? :)

Sure thing ...

First one I tried is "Caltrate" ... see www.caltrate.com.

The other one is also "Caltrate" -- but is a "Soft Chew" (chocolate truffle).

They're both 600 mg. Calcium + D3 (takes two pills a day).

Hard to turn down the chocolate truffle one, eh? :)

Thanks, I'm going to look for these.

Ok, I've finally found the way for me to take my crushed meds without the bitter taste, in fact with no taste at all.

I crush my meds first, take a creamy greek yogurt, I stir my yogurt up and scrape off any on the bottom of the spoon on the side of the cup, I have a little left on top (not heeping over side of teaspoon), with another spoon I make a little well in that yogurt and pour the crushed meds in that, then cover with yogurt using the other spoon, then just gulp it like a yogurt capsule.

Goes down very easy and best of all no bitter taste.

Lovely! We do that trick with pudding for old people at the hospital.

I only had to crush my Multivitamin because it's so large. My smaller pills and capsules I was allowed to swallow. After 6 weeks I could swallow everything.

I take chewable Iron, Calcium, and Multivitamins, before and after surgery. They are Celebrate and my nut swears by them. I had to crush only my anti- depressant tablets and only for two weeks. I put them in a medicine cup with a little Water and forced them down. Ugh.

My doctor has me taking multi Vitamin 2x's a day, Calcium+D 2x;s a day, Vitamind D3 2x's a day, and B12