Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone cheat on the 2 week pre-op diet or slip up?

I am a week in on the diet and have been perfect but will say today I am starving and not sure if I can take another week of this lol. would one night or day of normal food or eating in the middle of the 2 week pre-op diet be the end of the world?

@@nprcowboy I'm on day 11 of 14 but I have not cheated not even in the slightest bit! I sure wanted to at times but I just drink another Protein Drink if I have too or eat some sugar free Jello and the feeling passes. I also try to stay away from triggers like tv and images of food that seems to really help! Stay strong you can do it! Just remember it's only a short tiny period of time in the scheme of a lifetime! It will be over before you know it!!! Good Luck!

I am a week in on the diet and have been perfect but will say today I am starving and not sure if I can take another week of this lol. would one night or day of normal food or eating in the middle of the 2 week pre-op diet be the end of the world?

hey NPRCOWBOY I lost 12 lbs prior to my liquid diet so really I didnt adhere to the diet itself my NUT stated that prior to surgery they are looking for a 10-15 lb loss. So to be honest I didnt go Super Hog wild ( no pun intended) but I really enjoyed myself prior to surgery..... hope this helps dont stress yourself out with it..... indugle I assure you when you have surgery you arent really going to want the junk just yet. my surgeons team did let me know that surgery wouldnt be cancelled even if the weight wasnt lost they just didnt want to see a drastic increase. Remeber This is a Cash/Money Business and your a patron of it so they wouldnt want to loose your business from that perspective. However try to curb now b/c head hunger is a real thing it came to me about 2weeks out and it scared me alittle.

SW: 277 Date of Surg: 262 sleeved on 9/17/2014

Current Weight: 239 !

This too shall pass I say carefully cheat if that makes sense !?!

I am on day 9 of 14. I'm supposed to have 4 New Direction products a day. Around day 5 I was feeling so weak I ate a piece of Babybel cheese. I'm a picky eater and don't care for the products but I'm trying my hardest to comply. My WL team explained many times that the purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver. They said the liver of an overweight person can be crumbly and hard to move out of the way while trying to perform the surgery. I lost 35 pounds during my 6 month medically supervised diet but still have to do the 2 week pre op diet. They said losing the 35 pounds helps but a low/no carb high Protein diet is the best thing to do to get the liver in the best shape possible for surgery. I'm so freaked out about the danger of the surgery, I'm trying my hardest to follow their plan. I take it meal by meal, day by day. Today I had hot cocoa for breakfeast, lemon pudding with/fiber for lunch, cream of chicken Soup for supper and a chocolate pudding for snack. They all have a nasty texture and weird taste because they have 27 grams of Protein each. I dread each meal but it does get a little more tolerable each time.

My advice would be to follow your doctor's plan. WLS surgery doesn't mean you won't be able to eat tasty enjoyable food. It just means taking a break from them awhile and eating much smaller quantities once your tummy heals. Good luck!

Never cheated once on my 16 day preop or my 40 day postop diets. Of course the point of the preop is the liver shrinking thing, but for me cheating held deeper psychological ramifications. I needed to go into this with 100% commitment. I figured if I couldn't adhere to a simple diet for a couple weeks, how could I possibly make the necessary lifestyle changes that this surgery requires for success? So no, one little food cheat is not going to kill your chances of a healthy surgery, but once you cheat a little, it becomes harder to not cheat the next time...or the next time...or the next time. NOT cheating is very empowering and feels great.

thanks all. I did ell yesterday. I did have a few spoon fulls of ramen noodles in my broth but other than that I did well. Today I had my Protein Shake for Breakfast and soon will have my lunch one. Was just a rough day yesterday. I agree, gotta stay the course. 6 days to sleeved!!

I'm only on day 4 and I think I'm seriously thinking of eating something proper. It's so hard to be hungry ALL the time. I'm starving.

My pre-op diet has been rough and hard to stick to, but surgery is right around the corner (Nov 4). What hurt the most was being unable to eat the sugar-free Jello and popsicles because they contain aspartame. The ones that were no sugar added had fruit in them and my guidance was to avoid those. So it's been just Clear liquids with the 3-4 Protein shakes I'm allowed. There WERE a couple of days I slipped up and ate 3 unsalted nabisco plain crackers in the beginning, but felt the need because my stomach was so upset with the allergies and felt extremely nauseous. I don't imagine those (six total) crackers messing up my clean-out/liver shrink. Other than that, I've been compliant on my pre-op diet. I have lactose intolerance on top of the aspartame allergy. Just waiting for my surgery day now--3 days and a wake-up!

I won't lie, I cheated on the pre op a few times. I managed to lose 11 pounds but I'm not making excuses but I needed this surgery for a reason. Thank God there were no complications but I won't lie and say I didn't cheat.