Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2014 Lap Ban Surgery ????

My surgery is scheduled for November 19, 2014. Lots of feelings but mostly excited but there is a little bit of nervousness of the unknown. hopefully all of us November 2014 Lab Ban surgery survivors can stay in touch and be of some support for each other. Sharing the good the bad and everything in between.

I have stated getting ready for the 2 weeks liquid diet. During the day I've been drinking the Protein Drinks along with all types of liquids, like broth, Jello and ice pops. I eat dinner when I get home. Then 2 days last week I went the entire day liquids. I did good. My family helped by cooking dinner, I went into my bed room ????. This test really helped me. The thought of going cold turkey all at once was causing me stress. I lost 10 pds already. I even thought of not doing the surgery but I know the 10 pds won't stay off if I don't get the lap ban. I took the 10 pd loss as a sign that I am ready for this and I can do it.

My husband has been very supportive ( I thought). One day the negative statements started coming out, I was surprised. After a long talk with him I realized a few things. He was scared about the surgery. Some of the YouTube videos I have been watching really scared him. And I had become obsessed with this life change. It had become a part of every conversation we have. My journey started in August with going to all the doctor visits, and he has been a big part of that journey being very supportive attending the doctor visits with. I know he will continue to be supportive but our conversation did help me to see or at least understand his feelings. This blog has been very helpful to me because I'm able to read and post my feeling. I don't have to overwhelm him with the constant questions, concerns or worries I am having. I had 5000 questions going on in my head and this blog has answered them all good and bad. A marriage is a give-and-take and I needed to take his feelings into consideration without pushing mine to the back. He just wanted to be heard and I listened.

My son who is 15, had concerns and wanted to be heard. I listened, his concerns are just as important. I needed to reassure him that mommy would still cook the foods that he has come to love, it will be healthier but he will still love it. During this waiting period before my surgery, I have even made some of those foods, testing it out and we have done it as a family. So the family can see that they can still eat foods that they love but not as much or healthier. Change takes time, it does not happen overnight. I am sure we will have some hard days but together we will be successful. Some great advice from other topics. Reading them has truly helped me.

I'm scheduled for 11/4. I'm on day 5 of pre op. My husband says he's supportive but hasn't done anything to be supportive. But he's not against it either. I'm worried about telling people. That's my worst fear right now. I figure I will do it all at one time.

Have not told my parents yet. My husband, son and boss are the only ones that know. Because I stated changing how I eat, my staff and co-workers think I am just on another diet ????. I will tell my parents a few days before, don't want to deal with any negative comments or concerns.

My advice is tell fewer people than you think you want to right now. You can always tell more later. You can't untell once you tell. Also, remember why you are doing this surgery. It's for you. Some people get zero support or even antagonism from their spouses. When you are ready for this surgery, nobody will stand in your way. Be your own cheerleader and let us help. Face to face support group meetings at the hospital help too. I go to three different hospital support groups and to OA. Get what you need. Don't dwell on their head space.

My advice is tell fewer people than you think you want to right now. You can always tell more later. You can't untell once you tell. Also, remember why you are doing this surgery. It's for you. Some people get zero support or even antagonism from their spouses. When you are ready for this surgery, nobody will stand in your way. Be your own cheerleader and let us help. Face to face support group meetings at the hospital help too. I go to three different hospital support groups and to OA. Get what you need. Don't dwell on their head space.

Good now I don't feel nearly as bad for the fact that everyone at work thinks i'm having an appendix removed and outside of that only my girlfriend knows. :D

I just didn't want to deal with all the questioning and this is also a busier time of the year for my fam so I don't want to burden them with worrying during the surgery.

I agree, I don't want to deal with the 500 questions. This is my journey and I don't want to share with all. It is a diet with a little help. We still have to put the work in; eating right, making good decisions and working out. That is why I love this blog, I can share with people who understand.

Yesterday while I was eating dinner I got depressed because I started having that feeling of I am going to miss food. As you can see from my other post, I have been doing the Protein and liquids during the day and eating a normal dinner at night. This was to prepare myself for the two week liquid diet. However yesterday I was really busy at work didn't do any of the protein drinks, I had a sandwich and chips for lunch and I was starving for dinner. So when I came home I ate dinner (ribs, rice and veg)????, that's when I started having these feelings again. I wanted to cry, because I know I will not eat like that again, after my surgery. I had worked pass those feeling, of going to miss food. I thought maybe it was because I did not have my protein drinks and went outside of this routine that had already established. Or is it because Big Red (woman issues) is coming to town and I am just feeling depressed. Whatever the reason, yesterday was a hard day. I will drink my protein drinks today and hope this feeling goes away.

@@Ldimples it's not forever. You'll eventually add foods back and I eat mostly anything now, just smaller amounts. I understand the advance grieving though. I felt that way last Thanksgiving.

I am starting liquid diet tomorrow ????. I am ready, I have been practicing for weeks now. I will be cooking for the week for my family. Big pot of chiili, spaghetti sauce, and stew. I will label everything and they are all set. We had a family meeting because I need their support. The 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after are the hardest. I am determined to do this but I am nervous and scared but I am also very excited.

I spent the entire day cooking for my family. Starting my liquid diet tomorrow and I don't want to worry about them. I cooked enough food for 3-4weeks. I labeled and dated everything and put it in the freezer. My back and legs hurt from standing and cooking all day. But they are set, less stress for me. I think I am ready.

post-225635-14149780751185_thumb.jpg

Great job! Now take care of YOU and don't feel guilty about it. Ask for help post op and take it when offered! Good for you!

Now that I have finish planning and have nothing but my thoughts I am feeling a little depressed. Not sure why, but while I was running around trying to make sure that everything was set for my family, I didn't have to really think about much. But now everything is done and I feel like focusing on myself is making me depressed. I saw a woman at my job yesterday eating a bag of chips and I thought to myself I'm going to miss some salt vinegar chips. I'm scared, I'm scared of not being able to eat the foods I want to eat, I'm scared of the pain after the surgery, i'm scared of something going wrong during the surgery, I'm scared of not being successful. Having second thoughts. Just woke up feeling like I wanted to cry. Not to mention I am hungry and I don't feel well.

These all seem to be appropriate feelings. I usually just lurk the post but wanted to let you know we are here to support you in anyway we can. And if it helps you can have 1 chip every now and again you just have to chew it up to mush. I haven't even gotten a surgery date yet and I'm anxious nervous and have all the same thoughts you do and I'm a nurse (the worst patients)