Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Knee Replacement after Banding...

Has anyone had knee replacement surgery since you've been banded?

I have bilateral degenerative osteoarthritis in my knees as a result of my weight. Now that I've lost over 100 lbs, I am having BOTH knees replaced at the same time. I know - you're thinking "Is she nuts?!" Well, we're doing minimally invasive - they do not cut the quad muscle, they go out to the side around it. Then they control the pain with an epidural...they are both so bad that we have to do them at the same time because one isn't strong enough to handle the stress while I rehab the other. I don't work in the summer because I work for our school district, so I will have 10 weeks to do nothing but rehab. I'll be staying in a rehab center for up to two weeks. Surgery is June 15th.

So, I was just curious if anyone has had knee (or any other joint) replacement surgery since being banded? If I hadn't have gotten the band, I wouldn't be getting this done!

What have been your experiences?

I'm just confused, I am hoping with weight loss, the joint pain goes away. Is this permanent damage you're talking about and now that you know it won't come back you're going to have it fixed?

Yes, it is permanent damage that doesn't get better, even with weight loss. It is degenerative, meaning it will continue to get worse, osteoarthritis. Both knees are bone on bone and the cartilidge is mush. So even thought I've lost over 100 lbs, the pain doesn't go away. I take the maximum amount of the anti-inflammatory pain medication Naproxen and I get shots of cortisone every two months to the day as that is the closest I can get them. The cortisone only provides relief for three weeks and then it's like someone in the universe flips a switch and they start to hurt agin. Then I have to bite the bullet for the rest of the time until I can have shots again.

I was just curious if anyone else has had the same experience as me :eek:

Well, I have had my knee replaced, but it was done before i was banded. I wish I could have waited until I had this done, because I am thinking that my rehab would have been a lot easier had I been thinner. I still need to have the other one done, but I have had bad experiences with knee surgeries, and am waiting until I absolutely have to do it. I know exactly how you feel, though. I really thought that once I lost weight(I am at 70 pounds now) that my knees, and ankles would feel better, but to tell you the truth, they just don't feel that much different. Although, there is improvement, because I can do a lot more than I could before, but still, it never goes away. I came out of my knee replacement surgery with nerve damage in my foot, which is apparently some freak thing that almost never happens, so don't let that scare you. I think you are smart to do them both at the same time, as long as you have all that time off. The best advice I can give is rehab, rehab, rehab!! It is so important to follow through with the rehab--and with 100 pounds ggone, it should be a breeze. Good luck with everything!

I am in the same situation as you are and will need to have 2 total knee replacements once I get off as much weight as possible. Like you, I plan on having them both done at the same time. It's one surgery, one anesthesia, one hospitalization, and one recovery.

As an RN, I see bilateral knee and hip replacements all the time. The recovery is longer with 2 replacements at once but it's interesting to note that those who elected to do 2 procedures instead of having both done at once, regretted not doing 2 at once. Since you've got 2 weeks of in-house rehab planned, you should be fine. Keep us posted on your recovery.

Connie - Sorry to hear you've had nerve damage, but glad to hear it's very rare. I saw the knee surgeon three years ago and he wouldn't do the surgery because of the weight. I am so thankful for this band because it is my saving grace in being able to have this surgery now. I hope you are able to have your other knee done sooner than later.

Elisabeth--your advice is encouraging. I really don't have a good leg (knee) to rely on while I rehab one, so two are almost a necessity. You're right though...one surgery, one anesthesia, one hospitalization, and one recovery. I am touring the rehab facility on Monday. I want to be able to visualize where I'm going to be. With 10 weeks to rehab, I should be in okay shape to return to my secretarial job on August 27th.

Once month from today is the big day!! I'm sure I'll be scared the days before, but for now I'm very excited. Every day the pain gets worse and they are taking away my Naproxen 10 days before surgery, so I'll be really sore, then.

I'll keep you posted...thank you for your words of encouragement and support ;) LBT is the best!

Well, I'm almost a month out from surgery and things are going very well...Having both knees totally replaced is almost unheard of where I live, so I was a bit of an odity at the hospital and rehabilitation. I am rehabing ahead of schedule right now. It's amazing how much better I feel. Yes, there is achiness from the surgical healing, but the fact that the arthritis pain from the actual joints is totally gone is indescribable.

I just had my one year bandiversary and I lost 102.6 lbs and this knee replacement wouldn't have been possible without having the lap band first.

Time to go ride my recumbant bike!!

It's great to know things are going well for you and that you're free from that horrible arthritis pain. I'm in need of bilateral knee replacements but an holding out until I lose as much weight as I can.

I think this is an amazing victory you know. Simply incredible that you can now do something that will improve your quality of life so much in years to come. I'm glad the recovery is going OK.

Thanks so much for posting. I too will have both knees replaced when I lose a significant amount of weight. I'm also supposed to have a spinal fusion and I don't know which I should do first. Do you mind if I ask how long your scars are with the minimally invasive surgery? Thanks and congratulations on your new life!

Ericsmon

Ok everyone, I had both my knees replaced while I still weighed 284 pounds that was before the band. I was in rehab for 2 weeks. I was bending at 117 degrees when I arrived at rehab. I was walking without a walker in a week (when they let me) lol and I waa back to work in 3 weeks. I was back in the gym 1 month from surgery. I had bone on bone with both knees. They were done Jan 30, 2004 By Dr. R. David Heekin in Jakcsonville. The best! I had minimal discomfort and was walking to the cbnair the next day. The key? I worked out 3 days a week with my trainers and even though we couldn't use weights, we worked my grads and got them really strong! It was by far the easiest surgery I ever had. The pain before was so accute I was on crutches and mepergan before! So good luck with your surgery, keep building those quads before the big day and you will see a big difference. I think I am one of a kind! lol Blessings

Thanks so much for posting. I too will have both knees replaced when I lose a significant amount of weight. I'm also supposed to have a spinal fusion and I don't know which I should do first. Do you mind if I ask how long your scars are with the minimally invasive surgery? Thanks and congratulations on your new life!

Serena - my scars aren't any smaller because it was called minimally invasive...they are a good 6" long. Minimally invasive means they spared the quad muscles and went around them. Typically they cut through the quad muscles and that trauma to the muscles is the major thing that you are recovering from during the long, painful rehabilitation. Because they spared those muscles I am doing really good. Minimally invasive is also about pain management. I had an epidural for 2.5 days after the surgery to manage the pain to both extremeties while I attempted to get up and move. As for which surgery you should have first, I wouldn't begin to know. I'm sure your doctor will help you figure that out :)

Ericsmon

Ok everyone, I had both my knees replaced while I still weighed 284 pounds that was before the band. I was in rehab for 2 weeks. I was bending at 117 degrees when I arrived at rehab. I was walking without a walker in a week (when they let me) lol and I waa back to work in 3 weeks. I was back in the gym 1 month from surgery. I had bone on bone with both knees. They were done Jan 30, 2004 By Dr. R. David Heekin in Jakcsonville. The best! I had minimal discomfort and was walking to the cbnair the next day. The key? I worked out 3 days a week with my trainers and even though we couldn't use weights, we worked my grads and got them really strong! It was by far the easiest surgery I ever had. The pain before was so accute I was on crutches and mepergan before! So good luck with your surgery, keep building those quads before the big day and you will see a big difference. I think I am one of a kind! lol Blessings

While I don't doubt that you did extremely well, I am really surprised that you were bending 117 degrees when you ENTERED rehab...I am at 108 degrees on both knees 3 weeks post op and they tell me that is practially unheard of...so congrats to you for doing exceptionally well! Yes, I did the recommended exercises for my quad muscles prior to surgery, but as I said in my above reply, with minimally invasive surgery they spared cutting the quad muscles and that has aided in my progressing quickly in my rehabilitation. I will see my surgeon tomorrow and then I'll find out how well he thinks I'm doing. My physical therapist and I am amazed how well I'm doing, so hopefully he will be, too!