Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss: worth it? Starting to feel discouraged...

I get what you mean about 'diet'. I am never one for denying myself something, that just makes it harder. I'd rather look at this whole process as, ' I am finally choosing to be thin' and this is just what it takes. I heard someone in this forum use the term "fat brain". And they were absolutely right. There is 'fat brain' and 'normal brain'. People who have 'normal brain' don't have to pay as much attention to every single thing that they eat! People with fat brain should have been.

Yes there were many food funerals! But for me it was really saying 'goodbye'. If I didn't love all of the wrong things, I wouldn't be here. There were many things, I just realized that I should never eat again and some if I did, should be in very, very small quantities. I didn't overindulge, just enjoyed it and then said goodbye.

Since then in prep for surgery (which is in 4 days) it's been all liquid, which at first was really hard, but got much easier as time went by, and am preparing now for the 'menu' post surgery. The funny thing is that I've just gotten used to it. At first all I could think about was <insert something here, I don't want to mention mine, as it would be cruel to anyone reading this and struggling with certain foods> for some reason, but now, eh. As long as I stay full and Protein shakes and chicken stock are doing that, I'm good. (Food funerals are not for everyone I do know that, but for me am glad I did it. I don't miss those things now).

I thought at first it was ridiculously stupid to quit smoking right before the liver shrinking diet but I just waited until the very last possible minute, it's been about 45 days. But THAT is all I can think about! Here I thought it was food I was addicted to! At least my mind is occupied, healthily or unheathily.

Thanks for the input! Keep your successes coming!

I'm two years out from surgery - October 2012 and lost 98% of my excess weight and kept it off. I'm so happy with my surgery and believe it truly was one of the best decisions I ever made!! Everyone is different I have a friend who is sitting at about 60% lost and she's also happy with the positive changes vsg has had on her life, another friend who has lost about the same as me, also happy :-)

Best to set yourself goals and targets rather than compare yourself to others, we are all different and have different bodies. Good luck with your journey!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are right. ~ Henry Ford

• Lauriep, I went through the same thing the last two weeks before surgery. I started off 2014 at 305. I dropped 20 pounds and then started yo-yoing. Then I heard about sleeve surgery. Found an affordable way to make it happen. Then I lost more weight in preparation for the surgery and wondered "why are you doing this?" Then it hit me, this is a great tool to help me make the permanent changes I need to be healthy. I was glad I had worked through these issues on the front end. It gave me the mental edge to be ready, recover quickly, and get my preparation done.

I walk everyday, eat my Protein and stay hydrated. The weight will take care of itself.

I have noticed, that there are sites with people complaining about their results. Most of these people seem to have some common denominators:

1) They were kind of forced into surgery by health problems or some form of family or external pressure

2) They were not "self-pay" - I am noticing that people who pay for this themselves out of pocket are more committed

3) They were under the belief that all this would be "magic" and it isn't. This is just a tool.

The people who make up group 1-3 are included in the statistics for average results. I think when you look at the successful people on this board, you will find many highly motivated individuals who made a positive choice for change. And doing it with a clear head makes all the difference.

So doubts are normal and healthy and will help you make the commitment to do what you need to do. Good luck

60% is great! In fact I have my tickler set at about that rate. Now if I lose more than that I will be over the moon. This was the tool I needed desperately. I had already started my WL journey. I was eating clean and using a food diary. I have severe allergies and a few other chronic health issues that kept setting me back. I'd do well lose 35-50 lbsm get sick and regain. This happened over and over. I needed something to get over the hump and the doctors said there was a chance that the limited diet might put my chronic urticaria in remission. So far, so good. I was sleeved on 9/18 and except for one minor incident of facial swelling I haven't had a hives outbreak.

I also remember things I did at 60% of my current weight. I traveled, I skied, I biked, etc.... I want to do those things again.

Just a quick question about "excess weight" - did everyone determine their excess weight on the BMI chart? Just curious.

@Lauriep I believe the sky is the limit with weight loss. For me, this is a 100% lifestyle change. The surgery was just apart of this process.

• surgery
  • healthy diet
  • exercise

I started at a very heavy weight (351 lbs.) and have lost about 100 so far. I feel great now! The difference in how I look and feel is amazing. I can't imagine how I will feel when I'm at 60%, 70%, 80% or even 90% (my goal!)

I don't feel like I'm sacrificing anything. I've gained never having headaches anymore, no more body aches in the morning, no more snoring, and a perfect BP.

Something happens when you start losing weight, for me, I just want to eat healthier and healthier.

@@bella86 awesome! Truly inspiring!! Thank you for sharing.

I'm still pre-surgery, but here is what I'm afraid of if I don't have the surgery - the amount of over eating I am capable of. It wasn't unusual for me to sit and have 4 bowls of Cereal in a row, or 1 pint of ice cream, or 2 bags of potato chips, or 6 pieces of toast with butter, or 6 pieces of fish and chips with lots of tartar sauce and a medium, or a pound of raw almonds, or a huge chicken teriyaki with probably 2 cups of rice. Now keep in mind I typically wouldn't eat all day at work, and then come home and over eat. And all that food really didn't cause me to gain weight too much - I just stayed around my 250-256lb mark. I would try occasionally to cut back, but didn't for long. Tried Weight Watchers, Atkins, Phen/Phen, HCH (?) shots, and for the last 22 years since having my son I have always been over 200. (most I lost was on the Phen/Phen - good think I didn't die I guess). That was just before they outlawed it, and since then it was a steady climb back up to 228 - 236 - 242 - 249, etc until for the last couple of years I've been at 250+. I'm just saying that I know I need help controlling the amount of food I eat so surgery is it for me. If I can eat like I was and only gain very slowly, then I imagine eating better and much less will make the weight drop off. Don't wait like me to be 58 and doing this - do it now :)

Well, I actually did pull the trigger, I think I was just scared. I was sleeved on 11/3 and really for the most part it was an easy process. I know a lot of people have a lot of problems, but for me it was decent.

I took the advice of many here, realizing that it really was all up to me. If I sit around and don't change any of my old bad habits my success rate will be nominal. There were so many people that lost close to if not all of their goal losses, made me realize if was definitely possible.

Thanks so much! Keep up the incentive help! I am sure I am not the only one who had these fears!

I'm almost 2 weeks post-op and I'm actually afraid I'm losing too much weight. 20 lbs since day of surgery 11/12/14. But I've also been sick with a terrible cold/flu and getting OTC medicines down my very sore throat has been a struggle. I see my surgeon on Tuesday and I plan to ask him what he wants my weight loss goal to be. I used the top of the recommended for my height. I'm confident I will loss the weight, I just want to remain healthy in the process.

@@Lauriep - Congrats! I'm happy all went well. I had an easy time of it as well.

I'm almost 2 weeks post-op and I'm actually afraid I'm losing too much weight. 20 lbs since day of surgery 11/12/14. But I've also been sick with a terrible cold/flu and getting OTC medicines down my very sore throat has been a struggle. I see my surgeon on Tuesday and I plan to ask him what he wants my weight loss goal to be. I used the top of the recommended for my height. I'm confident I will loss the weight, I just want to remain healthy in the process.

Don't worry it will slow down a bit. Those early numbers are usually high. I lost 26 lbs in my first 2 weeks. At my 6 week check up I had only lost 6lbs. I expect the rest will be a slow, but hopefully steady weight loss like that.

My Doctor said the best to expect is 70% and unfortunately that is exactly when my weight loss stopped... I am struggling to get to goal, and have even gained 12 lbs

Hello all. I have a question. I'm 19 days post op and I walk with a cane because I have bad knees and a bad back. My doctor told me I could go to the gym and get on the treadmill or elliptical. I was excited so I went to the gym and stayed on it for 15 minutes even though it bothered my back. The next day I was so sore and stayed in the bed most of the day. I can do the treadmill for a while. So far I've lost 28lbs. Does anyone out there deal with my problems and if so, what kind of exercises do you do. I appreciate any help

Have you tried a recumbent bike? May be better for your knees than the treadmill, but don't know how your back would do. Do you have access to a pool? Low impact Water aerobics might work. But remember to go VERY slow when starting any new exercise. Maybe 5 min for several sessions, then up to 10, then 15, etc.

Hello all. I have a question. I'm 19 days post op and I walk with a cane because I have bad knees and a bad back. My doctor told me I could go to the gym and get on the treadmill or elliptical. I was excited so I went to the gym and stayed on it for 15 minutes even though it bothered my back. The next day I was so sore and stayed in the bed most of the day. I can do the treadmill for a while. So far I've lost 28lbs. Does anyone out there deal with my problems and if so, what kind of exercises do you do. I appreciate any help

I would even go slow. Walking in the pool might be easier on you than walking on land. I would recommend getting a good supportive Water shoe and just do that for starters. As you loose and can hopefully move a little easier, then move up to water aerobics .