Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss: worth it? Starting to feel discouraged...

I used the 10% rule. When I found some fitness activity hurt me (i.e. I was REALLY sore the following morning), I would back down 10% and try it for two weeks. If I was fine, I would then go up 10% two weeks later. This could be on intensity on elliptical, or amount of weight I was lifting. But I figure that after two weeks without being utterly sore, it was safe to move up.

This seems to work across the board...I only increase or decrease calories, Protein or exercise but only 10% every two weeks. It requires some tracking (I use myfitnesspal.com). Might be worth looking into.

I had the same fears pre op. 60% of my excess weight still leaves me in the "obese" catagory with 40 more # to lose to be normal. What I'm OK with now, 3 weeks post op in a one week stall, is that this small stomach will be a weight loss tool for the rest of my life. I don't find it hard to stay on primarily Protein with veggie back up. I now drink a lot of Water because I'm thirsty, not because I have to force myself. Down the road, if I go off the plan I'll still be eating MUCH less and I doubt weight gain will be an issue as I swim every day. Losing weight down the road is easier, I hear, by re-conforming to the diet in concert with the "baby stomach".

Dear Lauriep I had my sleeve hysterectomy on 11/7/2014.I have lost well over 120 lbs.I know others with simular results.Remember surgery is a tool, you must maintain compliance with your new eating habits.I realized that this is a life change, find a support group , keep active, and keep communicating.

Hello all. I took several people advice. I'm now doing Water aerobics everyday at the ymca. I've lost 50lbs since my surgery on 4-29-15. I love it. They have a chair that takes you in the water. I walk with a cane and have a bad back so this is awesome. This is my first time in a pool. I was so scared to get in for personal reasons but I did it I just wanted to share this with the community and say thank you for the advice that you all have given me.

Good for you! Glad you found something that works for you and that you enjoy.

I like to think of it as my starting point and my motivation. For me I stand to lose 28kg but need to lose 40kg in total.

The Sleeve will help me reach a point where I'm no longer embarrassed of working out in front of people, it will give me the motivation to start exercising and eating healthier foods because I can see the results.

By losing that 28kg, I will be able to start a healthier life.

I also worried about this 60% of excess fat loss. I have 145 pounds to lose. 60% of that is 87. I'm approaching the 4 month post op point and I've lost 60 pounds. Things have settled into a 2 pound per week loss rate that I'm comfortable with. (Sorry about the italics, I don't know what key I hit.) Anyway, my PA says that the "honeymoon" period is just a myth so long as you stick with the plan. Protein, vegetables, Water.

I know I could boost the loss rate if I stuck to the plan religiously but I've modified it to a plan I'm comfortable with for the long term so long as I keep losing at this rate. Should that decrease, I'll tighten up.

@@Mulepick - I think you will love it when a plan comes together...one of my favorite quotes:

"A vision without a task is but a dream, a task without a vision is drudgery, a vision and a task is the hope of the world.

~ From a church in Sussex, England, ca. 1730 Quotes

@@Mulepick sounds like you've got a good plan in place. Other than the first 3-4 months of healing, I haven't necessarily followed all the "rules" either. I modified the plan to fit my life. I'm a year into maintenance and still below goal so it's working. If I pop even 1 pound over my bounce range, I simply "tighten up" and go back to Protein, veggies and Water until I get back down to the bottom of my range. Your PA is right, that's really what it takes.

Actually I've been working so much lately that I'm below my bounce range at this point. This is good timing since I'm going on vacation in 3 weeks and will be eating WAY off plan. I'm sure I will gain and be back in my range, but that saves me having to "tighten up" when I get back home.

I feel pretty nervous about this life changing decision, but i definitely. think is a great choice, i been trough many diets and excersise but still unable to reach my weight loss goal.. All the people i know are doing great and looking great, do not discourage! Im still trying to decide between a few options in M exico, try to watch some testimonials its very motivating, try this You Tube Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgVJT7Y_wdKRnl5NkNUx_3slkH-3V33Eu

And i really wish you the best!

@@Lauriep - Look at the dangers of remaining overwieght, and see if that is worth it. Averages include those who don't take this seriously. It is a tool not a magic wand. It works very well if you respect it and work the program.

I have had a great results with weight loss.... Well over the percentages they gave me which was about 80 pounds .... I have lost well over that.... I weigh my food eat a lot of meat... it can get boring eating the same foods but my health the way I feel is worth it... I walk daily something I couldn't even do before my surgery... back pain hip pain knee pain is so much less now...

Well, I actually did pull the trigger, I think I was just scared. I was sleeved on 11/3 and really for the most part it was an easy process. I know a lot of people have a lot of problems, but for me it was decent.

I took the advice of many here, realizing that it really was all up to me. If I sit around and don't change any of my old bad habits my success rate will be nominal. There were so many people that lost close to if not all of their goal losses, made me realize if was definitely possible.

Thanks so much! Keep up the incentive help! I am sure I am not the only one who had these fears!

It's been quite a while, but would love to hear an update - did you exceed your 60%? If yes or no, would love to hear what you attribute your successes and failures. Hope you're doing well and if not, no judgements, just always and learning opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App