Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 month follow up WIN

Surgery on 6/17 and 38 pounds down.

I went to my follow up and my labs were excellent. The nurses said they have never seen Protein levels so high in a 3 month post op. The number was double most patients.

Everything was All-ok.

Just wanted to share. It makes me feel like I've given myself a new beginning and my body is thanking me!!!

That's great!! Congrats! You have to share your Protein secrets with us!

Congrats...but I am just curious....please don't take this the wrong way...but you had this surgery done to loose 55 lbs?

Since you have already lost 38, you have 17 more to go. Just not used to seeing someone get such an invasive surgery done for so little results needed.

""ducking head"" not trying to be sarcastic here.

Well. I don't mind answering that at all.

My only son was 18 when he was murdered 3 years ago. My life has been unbelievable since then. I endured two separate trials to convict the two thugs who shot him in the head thinking they were going to rob him.

I have adopted 4 kids in the past 5 years. I have been under a psychiatrists care since my son died and I take 4 medications daily just to function and keep my sanity.

I go to counseling every week and a support group for bereaved parents every month without fail.

My husband and I have 10 children total with 16, 6, 6 and 5 still at home.

I have just been steadily gaining since his death and I wanted to do something about it. My bloodwork kept getting worse and worse every 6 months.

I scheduled the lap band but as I went through the process my psychiatrist wanted me to make sure that I would be able to take my medication without fail. I had to maintain my mental stability. I also talked with my OB and my pcp, and we all agreed that sleeve would be safer to continue my meds.

When they did the EDG, I did have a large hernia and there were ulcers all over my stomach. So surgery removed many of those.

I consider it a drastic step, but it is a tool I am using to make my life better. And if I can reach my goal and be all the mom I can be for the next 13 plus years for the little ones at home, then I'm trying to do it all right.

Isn't it better that I made an informed decision with commitment and conviction to get my health and well being under control before I was what ... What weight would you like to see before surgery is justified to you?

I am still calling this my win!!!

So sorry for the loss of your son!

Congrats on your success and ability to come through this and move forward.

@zanes mom - I applaud your commitment to yourself and your family. I lost my husband 2 1/2 years ago to cancer, and I can commiserate with the eating and mental stability issues. Not withstanding the health issues that run in my family, I simply feel that the last several years I have existed to support my family, so the next several are to take care of me and this surgery is the first step in that. God Bless you and enjoy every minute of your victories!! ????????

NavyMom2006

I am sorry for your Loss. I think sometimes only those who travel a similar journey "get it" and know that you get lost in your grief until you realize that if you don't take care of yourself you will die as well.

I'm glad that even with your sorrow you are able to start this journey for you.

I wish you all the best.

I am so sorry for your loss. I too lost my son at age 19. It is five years later, I am still in therapy on meds and. Trying to find myself. However, I gained 170 pounds since Zac's passing and knew I had to do something or I would die too and leave my 16 year old daughter alone. So on September 2nd I got the gastric sleeve. PRe surgery I was 370, day of surgery I was 351' now 4 weeks later am 316. Thus I have lost 54 pounds and much more to go. I am learning that if we are to go on we first need to learn who we are and congratulations to you for doing this and loosing. Sending prayers and hugs!

I am so sorry for your loss. I too lost my son at age 19. It is five years later, I am still in therapy on meds and. Trying to find myself. However, I gained 170 pounds since Zac's passing and knew I had to do something or I would die too and leave my 16 year old daughter alone. So on September 2nd I got the gastric sleeve. PRe surgery I was 370, day of surgery I was 351' now 4 weeks later am 316. Thus I have lost 54 pounds and much more to go. I am learning that if we are to go on we first need to learn who we are and congratulations to you for doing this and loosing. Sending prayers and hugs!

I am sorry for your loss. And as a fellow bereaved mom, you know all I can say is it isn't fair, it just sucks. And there are no answers. I know we get it and that's all that matters.

It's refreshing to know that a similar soul is going through this journey same as me. If you want to message or talk send me your info or I'll send mine. I'd love to hear about Zac.

I know that the farther out you get the less you get to speak about your sweet boy.

I'm always a listening ear.

Congratulations on your weight losses.

To the ladies in here who have lost loved ones my heart goes out to you. I actually teared up reading your stories (in part because I've got very high empathy for others, also I'm on day 10 of the pre-op diet!). This comment for me was particularly poignant "I know that the farther out you get the less you get to speak about your sweet boy."

Please don't ever stop talking and sharing about your loved ones.

Love and healing thoughts heading your way. :)

Well. I don't mind answering that at all.

My only son was 18 when he was murdered 3 years ago. My life has been unbelievable since then. I endured two separate trials to convict the two thugs who shot him in the head thinking they were going to rob him.

I have adopted 4 kids in the past 5 years. I have been under a psychiatrists care since my son died and I take 4 medications daily just to function and keep my sanity.

I go to counseling every week and a support group for bereaved parents every month without fail.

My husband and I have 10 children total with 16, 6, 6 and 5 still at home.

I have just been steadily gaining since his death and I wanted to do something about it. My bloodwork kept getting worse and worse every 6 months.

I scheduled the lap band but as I went through the process my psychiatrist wanted me to make sure that I would be able to take my medication without fail. I had to maintain my mental stability. I also talked with my OB and my pcp, and we all agreed that sleeve would be safer to continue my meds.

When they did the EDG, I did have a large hernia and there were ulcers all over my stomach. So surgery removed many of those.

I consider it a drastic step, but it is a tool I am using to make my life better. And if I can reach my goal and be all the mom I can be for the next 13 plus years for the little ones at home, then I'm trying to do it all right.

Isn't it better that I made an informed decision with commitment and conviction to get my health and well being under control before I was what ... What weight would you like to see before surgery is justified to you?

I am still calling this my win!!!

After reading this long explanation I'm still confused and was hoping you said because you wanted to get control of your weight before it continued to progress.

Cal2okl

Yes. I think this post didn't address it. I was gaining and gaining and it was not going down no matter what I tried.

I just looked back at all the past events in my life and where I was at that time and I was needing to make dramatic changes and for my overall health, including my weight.

That was an old post!!!! I'm just under 18 months post op and I'm at 125 and holding. I reached my doctors goal weight at 9 months and I've been at this weight for the past 3 to 4 months.

I'm feeling better, my labs are great. I have added one medication to my daily medication for vertigo, but it's as needed. I get a little out of sorts sometimes and not sure if it's the weight loss or my mind or both.

Congrats on your post op. I hope for your journey to be smooth and successful. I found this site to be priceless.