Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So Humiliated...

I'm sitting in the airport waiting on my flight to Vegas and one of the Frontier workers comes up and asks to speak to me. She proceeded to tell me that if a customer complains about sitting next me, I might have buy another ticket or make other arrangements for my flight. I'm literally sitting here about to burst into tears. This has never happened before. And it's meeting me dread my return flights home and even worry about being able to stay on this flight! I flew from Oklahoma to Denver with no problems so this just hit me like a ton of bricks.

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry you had to experience that. I can't believe that employee would even say something preemptively... That's incredibly insensitive. IF someone said something maybe then approach the subject in a more tactful way. I'm sorry :( at least you know you're on these boards for a reason and are completely surrounded by people who understand. *hug*

Been there done that and more...was once on a flight for which I had requested an exit row to have a bit more leg room. As I boarded I did my customary...could you bring me a seat belt extender. Got to my seat settled in, plane is FULL and THEN the stewardess comes over in a not very quiet voice and tells me I can't sit there because if I need a seat belt extender I might block the exit...so she makes a big deal out of finding someone to switch with me and I get up and move. My face stayed red the whole flight...

So I know how much it sucks! So shake it off, focus on the future when you wont need to worry about things like this EVER again and you will get there.

So sorry to read your story. That was absolutely insensitive from the part of the stewardess. As others have stated, unfortunately these things happen BUT you will find great support here and as you slowly reach your goal, you will never ever have to worry about such abuse again. Hang in there! We are all here to support you!!

Try to let it go and visualize the new you that will be here before you know it! Soon you will never have to suffer that indignity again. Hang in there!

Thanks for all the support.

The crappy part was I just for out of OKC on the same airline with no issues. Same seat assignment even (I always select a window so I'm only crowding one person). And this happened in the terminal, before we even boarded the plane! It wasn't the stewardess, it was one of the ticket attendants at the gate. She literally walked over to me, asked what flight I was on then asked if I could come with her. I'm writing a complaint letter. I could understand if the person seated by me complained, they didn't by the way. But this was before I'd even gotten on the plane.

WOW. Wold this be an example of fat shaming?

I'm so sorry that you have had to experience this. I'm glad that things went a lot smoother than the ticket attendant thought they might! They were so insensitive to do that to you. As others have said - think ahead. big hugs x

Thanks for all the support.

The crappy part was I just for out of OKC on the same airline with no issues. Same seat assignment even (I always select a window so I'm only crowding one person). And this happened in the terminal, before we even boarded the plane! It wasn't the stewardess, it was one of the ticket attendants at the gate. She literally walked over to me, asked what flight I was on then asked if I could come with her. I'm writing a complaint letter. I could understand if the person seated by me complained, they didn't by the way. But this was before I'd even gotten on the plane.

I'm glad you're writing a letter and I hope you get something comped from the airline because that is unacceptable behavior. Sorry you had to go through that :(

don't worry I would of had the same reaction inside. I would of been humiliated. She was super rude. I hope you feel better soon. she singled you out too. I hope you got the name off her badge.

I don't think at all that this is "fat shaming" but I do think this was a perfect example of someone who is in real need of sensitivity training. I would make some phone calls, write a letter and send some emails about how you were treated immediately.

You are on the path to better health but in the meantime, it's very important that you demand to be treated with the dignity and respect you deserve.

Hugs, girl. You are amazing now and you are going to be amazing post op, too.

The Frontier employee made her own decision to do this. This isn't required of her at all.

The company you'll be writing to will be comparing your description of their employee's behavior to their own policies. And if there's a difference, that employee will feel the impact of her behavior.

Oh -- and this thread that's on social media now and that will show up on Google searches about a Frontier Airlines employee's treatment of an overweight customer is NOT what the airline wants to see online.

Good on you for making this thread.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I have to admit that I live in mortal fear of this happening. So much so that in recent years I've turned down every thought or idea of vacation plans that involve flying. I tell everyone it's because of claustrophobia, which I do suffer from, but in reality, it's because I'm afraid of not being able to buckle my seat belt or being singled out to purchase a second seat as well.

Not too long ago I was given tickets to see the play Wicked. Unfortunately I could hardly enjoy the show because I was in so much physical pain from the sides of the seat digging into my hips. I've stopped going to similar events that would put me in the same awkward position ever since.

It's part of the reason that I made the decision to seek out surgery. I'm tired of putting my life on hold because of my weight. I want to truly live again! I'm still in the beginning pre-op stages, but I'm going to get there. We're all going to get there! And so will you. But until then just try and keep you're eye on the prize. You have an amazing future waiting for you just around the bend.

Once I lose my weight I'm going to fly like a bird. And I honesty hope I'm sitting in the airport some day waiting for a flight, and I happen to see an obese lady or gentleman being put through the public ridicule of being made to buy a second seat. Because I'll march right up to that ticket counter and say: "That's not necessary. This fine person is more than welcome to sit next to me."

I'm sitting in the airport waiting on my flight to Vegas and one of the Frontier workers comes up and asks to speak to me. She proceeded to tell me that if a customer complains about sitting next me, I might have buy another ticket or make other arrangements for my flight. I'm literally sitting here about to burst into tears. This has never happened before. And it's meeting me dread my return flights home and even worry about being able to stay on this flight! I flew from Oklahoma to Denver with no problems so this just hit me like a ton of bricks.

I,'m so sorry about this. It is fat shaming. They will allow children to act badly and other people, but they have audacity to insult heavier people. You should have threatened litigation and/or told them you just had weight loss surgery. You must be like a duck with these rude remarks hurting you. Things will get better. My life has changed with only 20 lbs lost. Good Luck and say your prayers .