Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hydration Hype...?

Can anyone explain this...?

Why is it that one of the biggest warnings/recommendations pre & post surgery from all the professionals (ie doctors/nurses/nutritionists, etc) is that "WE MUST STAY HYDRATED...!" We must drink a minimum 8 Eight oz glasses of Water...! It seems like it is THE most important issue facing sleeve patients. If anything is wrong, if we don't feel right or have any complaints - the 1st question from the professionals is have I been keeping hydrated?

I know hydration is important - it always is. But, seriously - the whole idea behind the sleeve is that it is less intrusive than the RnY, more effective, more natural, etc etc etc. Better absorption...nothing is really changed, except a smaller, more normal stomach size. SO Why then is Water all of the sudden so much more important.

I guess I am a little jaded and disappointed in my doctors, and thus have a healthy (?) skepticism about anything coming from my doctors. But if we just have a smaller stomach, why do we need more water? With a smaller stomach foes water absorb less, hence an increased risk of dehydration...?

I would love an unbiased scientific answer to this question.

That said - I have been successful with my surgery - down about 150lbs in 18 months. I am stalled and a little discouraged/worried that I will start gaining. Especially since my cravings seem about the same as pre-surgery...I do drink alot of water, but am not obsessed with it as my doctors would advise. I have been having constant headaches, feel kind of jittery and easily/always get head rushes when standing up....

What is the downside? Are the professionals hyping the water so much to trick us into replacing all our pre-surgery bad food with more healthy water. Not that that would be a bad thing, but I just would prefer a more transparent/honest approach from my doctors.

Look forward to feed back.

Thanks

Hi Richard,

Most people get a lot of their liquid from food. Most solid food actually contains a lot of liquid -- an apple, a carton of yogurt, a nice juicy burger with lettuce and tomatoes -- it all contains lots of liquid and goes towards meeting our bodies' needs for liquid. Plus of course most people who haven't just had 80% of their stomachs removed can and do drink a lot of liquids without much effort. But with surgery, for some amount of time we aren't taking in any food, and it's HARD to get those 64 ounces in. So we have to keep on top of that situation and work at it. The thing is, it's always been important for us to get that 64 ounces of liquid (whether from Water, coffee, milk, yogurt, an apple -- any combination of sources) in order to stay hydrated -- we just never had to think about it or worry about it before. But trust me, post-sleevers do get dehydrated and actually end up in the ER if they don't manage to get their liquids in.

ETA - my team never told me to drink 8 glasses of water. Just 64 ounces of Fluid of some sort.

Edited by Bufflehead

^^^^

What she said....less food means less liquids.< /p>

I don't think I have met the 64oz goal yet. I have come close but most of the times I just can't force another drop in.

I do think it does help you with losing weight and keeping Constipation at bay.

I never ever drank 64 onces of Water or fluids pre sleeve surgery. Yes, I drank coffee in the am, ate some fruit and maybe on some days a couple glasses of water. I always had clear urine. I do understand that I'm now eating less and therefore no longer getting fluids naturally from my foods. Example, I no longer eat fruit. My issue is I'm two months out and have yet to get the 64 ozs in. Most days I came close to 60 ozs, but it's difficult. I have no idea how others are doing it. What with having to wait to drink before and after

eating. I'm usually still trying to get my fluids in at 10 pm. I read where some are drinking 80ozs a day and I'm amazed! How do they do it? Also, I'm just not thirsty. Ever. I make the mental commitment ever day, but just hafe not reached the 64 ozs yet.

Richard, 64 oz of fluids is a baseline amount of hydration that the human body needs period. It is preferable that the 64 oz comes from Water, but the circulatory system and kidneys need the hydration to run efficiently. It has nothing to do with whether you have had sleeve surgery.

The reason it is stressed so much with sleeve patients is because you lose the ability to just gulp gallons of liquids rapidly if you do get dehydrated. If all you can do is take small sips, perfectly timed with waiting periods after eating, how in the world could you fix that problem?

If you were obese enough to have lost 150 lbs, then you most likely have other underlying medical issues. Heart disease and atherosclerosis for example. Morbidly obese people typically have a history of eating foods extremely high in fat and cholesterol, which causes significant buildup in the arteries over time. When you are dehydrated, so are your cells. Blood does not flow through the body systems as easily as it should. It can get quite sluggish. Slugglish blood flow and arteries with years of damage from a poor diet = higher chances of heart attack and stroke, even as a non-obese person. You've changed the outside of your body. What about the inside? Cholesterol can be lowered but what about the plaque build up in the arteries? That reason alone would keep me sipping all freakin day long.

I find your question a bit odd. I get it that you don't trust doctors and feel like what they're saying may be hogwash, but bodily functions are grounded in science, not baffoonery or myths. If you're truly interested in knowing the answer to your question you could do your own research and not ask for others' opinions, especially since every single one you'll get will be scientific......not because of a conspiracy, but because it's the truth.

Anyway, congratulations on your weight loss. What you have accomplished is phenomenal and I wish you continued, great success.

Although adequate Water intake is important regardless of your weight, water is more essential after surgery and while you are rapidly losing weight. There's a lot of chemistry that goes on in your cells and organs, without enough water some of these by products will crystalize so you are prone to gall stones and kidney stones. You are also going through lots of changes as you lose weight, your body is making adjustments and needs plenty of water to keep up, flush out toxins, protect you from Constipation, healthy skin, keep Proteins soluable, and I'm sure many more good reasons. I think the doctors realize it's going to be difficult, at least in the early stages, to drink enough water so they emphasize it to encourage good hydration for healing from surgery and reduce the chances of complications. Sounds like your doing well though, keep it up.

Ditto to what everyone said about Water being essential to organ function, healing and necessary for fat metabolism (ie without proper hydration, your body can't/won't break down your fat and you won't lose weight)

The other big point is for quite awhile post op you just can't chug a bunch of Water if you do get dehydrated. Between 6 and 12 weeks post op I had bad diarrhea from a C. diff infection. It would not have been that big of a deal with a normal sized stomach, but I simply could not keep up with my Fluid requirements made worse from the diarrhea. I ended up needing IV fluids 3 times. Nearly passed out several times because my blood pressure dropped so low. I just couldnt drink enough fast enough with my tiny sleeve.

And, BTW, the 6 weeks that I was so sick and chronically dehydrated was also my longest weight loss stall. As soon as I was better and could finally drink enough water that my body needed, I lost 8 pounds in 1 week! So go ahead and do your own independent research, or simply take it from the experts and know that hydration IS the most important thing.