Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exploring Re-banding (kinda long)

Hello!

I haven't been on here in years. It's nice to see some familiar faces and soooo many new folks!

Here's my story:

Banded in 2007. Lost 140 pounds and maintained that loss until 2011.

In 2011, I had a series of very unfortunate events happen and started to believe the toxic voices in my industry (performing arts) I went to food for comfort and with a cross country move, a wedding, having the moving truck stolen with everything we owned... Well, it was a very stressful time and I got through by using food. I'm not proud and I gained almost everything I had lost.

In 2013 my band slipped and was removed. I was 308 pounds.

Fast forward to 2014. Years of therapy and nutrition. I'm at my highest weight ever (330 but I lost 8 pounds in the past two weeks!) but I'm also the healthiest (mentally and emotionally) and happiest I've ever been.

Two weeks ago, I had an appointment with my PCP and he said that without losing weight I won't be able to have children. The endometriosis and extra fat will make infertility treatments unsuccessful.

I just got off the phone with a bariatric doctor who said that he won't put in another band because of the risk of complication and scar tissue. To be considered for another surgery, he says I have to get down to 250 (an 80 pound loss) and then "maybe" he'll consider me for bypass or VSG.

Can anyone advise? Has anyone been re-banded after a slip? I'm so discouraged and would love to hear some ideas about how to move forward.

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Why aren't you interested in VSG or gastric bypass? There are many people that moved from band to sleeve or bypass here. I started with a sleeve, but can tell you I am very happy with it.

Thank you @@Texasmeg for taking the time to read and respond!

My nutritionist and my PCP both said nutrition was a challenge during pregnancy with VSG and RNY. The stomach is already pushed up and gets smaller and with VSG the concern was with an already small stomach it would be too small to ensure adequate nutrition.

The band can be tightened or loosened depending on the needs of myself or the baby.

I really like the idea of VSG though. I'm so happy you've been so successful with it. Congratulations!!!

I have been banded twice. The first time I was successful and lost all my weight. I maintained it for years. Then I got overly confident and had it taken out. Gained all my weight back. Went to the first doctor who said he wouldn't put a band back in because of scar tissue. Went to the next doctor who banded me again who had no issue with scar tissue. Now I am back down in weight and only 10 pounds from my goal weight. I wish you success. Again, I am banded for the second time and intend to keep my band forever!!

There's a couple of new bariatric techniques you might consider? Placation is one and the other is a new technique where they perform a faux sleeve endoscopy. No stomach removal and no invasive surgery. But that one may still be in the exploration stage?

I agree with bulawookie, check out another surgeon or two. Can't hurt. And if some new non surgical technique shows up in 3-5 years you can still revise?

tmf

Congratulations on a successful two weeks. Every day is a victory! I am a newbie and I benefit greatly from stories such as yours. I hope you persist with the doctors until you find the right solution. You deserve happiness and the solution is out there. You just need to find it! Good luck!

Don't most band patients have the band deflated (no restriction) while carrying a baby? I thought I read that this was done to ensure proper nutrients for both the mother and baby?

I'm curious how sleeve patients deal with this issue--the concerns would seem to be the same?

Don't most band patients have the band deflated (no restriction) while carrying a baby? I thought I read that this was done to ensure proper nutrients for both the mother and baby?

I'm curious how sleeve patients deal with this issue--the concerns would seem to be the same?

I believe the biggest reason to have the band deflated during pregnancy is due to risk of vomiting. It's very possible to get proper nutrition with fully inflated band.

Removing the Fluid is not always necessary during pregnancy. As long as you are getting calories! Swelling and a growing baby are the main reasons for fluid removal.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and thoughts! I've actually decided to go with the sleeve. We need to change insurances (I'm posting a question about that in the insurance forum after this) but I'm very excited about the potential of the sleeve.

Thank you!!!!

I have endometriosis too, and my surgeon and I decided on the sleeve as well. I asked several questions regarding nutrition and pregnancy (for down the line, not trying now) and I was assured that with proper diet and supplements, it shouldn't be an issue. Apparently the key is to monitor your levels and follow the doctor'a guidelines. Good luck to you!