Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can you eat and not eat long term after bypass?

I am scheduled for a revision to bypass Dec. 16. I had a lap band for about 4 1/2 years and lost all the weight I wanted to--maybe even more than I wanted. But those 4 1/2 years were not much fun as I was vomiting a lot and was quite malnourished at times, I believe. In fact I ended up having emergency lung surgery for a massive lung infection, probably due to aspirating something when I vomited and my body having no strength to fight it.

The lap band was removed 13 months ago due to an out-pouching in the esophagus and I have regained all of the weight I lost after surgery and a little more. My only alternative now is bypass.

I can't say I'm 100% committed to having this surgery and feel I need a lot more information before making that decision. I actually live in Mexico but will have the surgery in Portland, OR, for insurance purposes. That is also where I had my lap band inserted and removed. But because of the distance I cannot be there for support group or appointments with the surgeon and others to ask more questions. So I hope I can get lots of answers and support on this group. I've already bought my plane ticket to fly to Portland about a week before surgery but I would gladly lose that money or just go visit friends and family rather than make a mistake in going ahead with this surgery.

So, here goes my first question: I have heard from the dietician about the liquid diet and then the "mushy" diet following the surgery, but what I don't have a grip on is what will I be able to eat long term. I'd like to hear what you eat, especially things you enjoy.

I also want to know what you can't eat, especially things you have tried that resulted in problems for you.

I appreciate any input you can give me on these questions. I know I'll have many more in the next several months.

Hi Suzie,

I had RNY bypass on June 30, 2014. I had 2 weeks pre-surgery Protein shakes (lost 28 lbs) then 2 weeks post surgery (different kind of Protein shake = 4 oz at a time) shakes. I then went to soft foods for a month. After that I have been back on all foods with caution. Because carbs and sugar are my downfall, I have chosen to stay away from bread, crackers, tortilla's and anything with refined sugars or that's processed. I eat lean meats (chicken, fish, turkey, occasional ground beef) cottage cheese, greek yogurt, hummus, organic Peanut Butter, lots of veggies and fresh fruit and still have shakes with fruit and veggies in them.

Even though I am cleared to eat anything, with the exception of yeast- soft breads as they can expand and clog the passage between your pouch and intestine, I am eating a more paleo diet. The hunger hormone in your stomach will be gone for 12-18 months, your pouch initially will only hold 3 - 4 oz of food at a time, you won't have cravings so it's a really good time to change all your eating habits for the better.

I drink Water primarily and occasionally a cup of coffee or ice tea, but nothing else. (I have to be careful because caffeine dehydrates you and it's hard enough to get in the required 64 oz. of Water a day!)

I also eat Quest Protein Bars as recommended by my nutritionist because I have to get in 92g of Protein a day! The bars have 20g of protein per bar and the 21 grams of carbs, such that when burned translates to 3g of NET carbs! Low in sugar (2g or less), actually taste good and are VERY filling. It's a nice treat to eat one that tastes like a brownie with none of the bad side effects of a real brownie!

I am walking 20 minutes a day right now and see that I need to begin toning exercises due to being "jiggly"! This was, hands down, the best thing I have ever done for my body, mind and soul. It is a life changing experience and if you follow Dr. instructions to the letter, success is not only attainable, but fast and simple.

I look forward to seeing your progress! Best of luck to you!

Clarissa

I'm 3 mons out from RNY bypass and am eating "regular" foods. I eat Greek yogurt with unflavored whey Protein powder, cheese of all types, hummus, edamame, love all types of chili, peanut or cashew or almond butter, Special K Protein Cereal of Cheerios protein Cereal. 1 egg omelets with cheese and diced ham (1/2 omelet) and egg salad. No bread! Haven't tried rice or Pasta but NUT says they probably won't agree with me so I say why bother trying. And I'm not going to try any sugary sweets either.

There are definitely foods I will never be able to eat again, but it's those foods that got me overweight to begin with....

Thrilled with the whole process, down 52 lbs and follow all instructions from dr and NUT. Wish I had done this 10 yrs before.

I'm 6 months out and can eat just about anything if I really want to. Thing is, I chose to try and eat as healthy as possible. Now, really fatty things and heavily sugary things will cause me to have pain in my stomach and diarrhea (sorry, telling it like it is), but that's just me. Everyone will react differently to different things.

However, I would not change my decision to have surgery in a million years. I am so glad that I had the bypass. It's been a real blessing in my life.