Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amazed at some day one or two post op recovery stories

I've seen a few people saying how they've walked a mile or did cardio, lifted light weights, drank 90 oz of Protein etc... On like day one or two at home. Am I just a wimp? I couldn't see how this is even possible with my one exit incision pain alone. I've walked lightly for ten mins at a time at most.

How can some of you do this? It's crazy. Also didn't they have really detailed discharge info like absolutely no working out for two weeks minimum and liquids only for a week or so? I read a guy that had puréed chicken on day two with bad diarrhea.....well.....yeahhhhh. Stomach isn't even close to healing. SMH at some. I know we all deal with pain, but I dunno, I must be a wimp. HA!

Hi, Greg.

Today is Day 26 for me.

I'm one of those who had a pretty easy surgery and recovery. There's a great thread on here (will try to find it and post here later) where dozens of people weigh in, saying, "What's wrong with me? I'm doing great. Surgery wasn't tough. I feel good."

But no, I wasn't one of those walking a mile right after surgery. But on Day Three I did a lot of laundry and housecleaning. My early days were "energetic" ones alternated with "napping" ones.

By Day 5 I was hitting 60 grams of Protein. For more than 2 weeks I've gottenclose to 80 grams daily. I'm now eating pureed and soft foods, and even an open-faced (toast) sandwich. Calories are around 700-800 these days.

I've long been walking with the dog for 30 minutes. Went back to work 2 weeks post-op, and was fine. Every week I'm stronger.

Yes, this is major surgery. But people on this forum have had quite different responses to it. Not altogether sure why.

P.S. I had multiple incisions (6 small ones) and didn't have a drain. No problemos.

By the end of the first week I was puttering around the house a bit, out of boredom, but it was a month before I felt like officially exercising . Also at one month I got the OK to start strength training with body weight exercises and light hand weights.

Hello,

I have seen the posts myself, "hey one week out and training for a marathon". LOL Anyway, I do not feel like I am a wimp. I never really complain, never get sick. That being said I felt like crap after this surgery for over 5 solid weeks. Couldn't get any Water in at first and zero Protein. Five weeks out I was barely getting 16oz of Water in. Now at almost 2 months I get 48oz and occasionally make it to 64oz. It is a process, some take longer and some seem able to get in their water and Protein right away. My doctor says walking only for 2 months, nothing else. My doctor is way more concerned about water than about protein for the first two months, we were not even given a protein amount. Just a guideline on what to eat. I have my 2 month appt. on Friday and I will see what I am told then.

Hi, Greg.

Today is Day 26 for me.

I'm one of those who had a pretty easy surgery and recovery. There's a great thread on here (will try to find it and post here later) where dozens of people weigh in, saying, "What's wrong with me? I'm doing great. Surgery wasn't tough. I feel good."

But no, I wasn't one of those walking a mile right after surgery. But on Day Three I did a lot of laundry and housecleaning. My early days were "energetic" ones alternated with "napping" ones.

By Day 5 I was hitting 60 grams of Protein. For more than 2 weeks I've gottenclose to 80 grams daily. I'm now eating pureed and soft foods, and even an open-faced (toast) sandwich. Calories are around 700-800 these days.

I've long been walking with the dog for 30 minutes. Went back to work 2 weeks post-op, and was fine. Every week I'm stronger.

Yes, this is major surgery. But people on this forum have had quite different responses to it. Not altogether sure why.

P.S. I had multiple incisions (6 small ones) and didn't have a drain. No problemos.

I can almost say the same as you except for every now and then I feel a little winded from walking up steps but that it and 4 weeks out I'm eating soft foods which helps

I'm 5 weeks out and I am not eating tons of Protein and walking miles a day. I just started foods this week and I'm suppose to eat 6 times a day and drink 48oz of fluid..or more. I eat 4 times a day and drink about 40oz of Fluid. I fight the fight everyday. I walk about 2 to 3 times a day on the weekends and just got okayed to clean the house. This still exhausts me....I could nap all weekend to be honest. Weekdays...just started back to work. I make dinner for my son....eat my 1/4 to 1/2 cup of protein with tiny bits of veggies and I'm ready to sleep. SO TIRED. I think this is more of the norm. More power to those who can do more. But this is my reality....no mile walks for me for a little while longer, I'm sure! I do the best I can each day and I pray the next day will be easier.....it's all I can do. I'm getting there! :)

Yeah, I hear you. Maybe we all tolerate the surgery a little differently, have different pain thresholds, etc. The mind is very powerful too.... but you are right, pace yourself and ease back into things. We are in this for the long haul.

It's nice to read about similar issues that people are having. I am just two day post op and I am regretting this whole thing! I'm in so much pain! I just want to curl into a ball and sleep till the pain is gone. :( it's not really the incisions that are hurting me. It's the severe gas pain all over my back and shoulders. And also I feel like there is so much liquid stuck in my throat. I've only been able to keep down 2 medicine caps full of chicken broth and about 1/2 cup of ice chips, a couple sips of Water and now a couple sips of Gatorade and Decaf tea. That's it! I have meds for pain and nausea and have been taking them, but they just make me sick to my stomach and I dry heave. Anyone else like this on day 2?

Sweet, day 3 was much better for me. Your day two sounds like mine kinda. I was able to drink much better today. Apparently it gets better each day like this. Keep it up, in the end it will all be worth it!

Yeah, Day Two wasn't great for me either.

But ... it's only Day Two, so it probably never was gonna be good for many people.

Good news ... tomorrow is Day Three. And then Day Four.

One day at a time.

You guys are absolutely right. Tomorrow, day two will be behind me and hopefully so will most of this pain and nausea. We are on the loser side! Hooray!!

I am 3 days out and my pain is pretty debilitating at this point. Struggling with Fluid intake and taking a few short walks a day. Cried tonight, wondering WTH I did to myself. But hopefully pain will lessen soon. So looking forward to being able to get up and down without grimacing or yelping when I twist my torso. Come on body, heal!

All of those stories are mine to the T. I am three weeks post op tomorrow. It took me about 10 days to snap out of it. I had a reaction to the pain meds and the anesthia. I couldn't crush my pills and take them. That was absolutely gross. I hurt so bad. I cried. If I could have went back and undo what I did I would have. I couldn't sleep I couldn't drink the portion drinks were gross! Well three weeks later, I am better, all healed up, back to walking about 4 miles a day, still cannot strength train. I can eat some soft foods. I skipped puréed stage, sorry I told my NUT. I cannot grind food up in a blender that is just. So things do get better. And I used to read these threads all day and I used to hate it when people would say....it will get better. I am not a patient person. Lol. So I stay off the scale. Have no idea how much I have lost but I can tell I have lost lots of inches. Because I got on the scale 4 days post op and gained 7 pounds. I was pissed. So I out the scale away and will only weigh when I go to the doctor for a while. No sense getting depressed if I hit a stall. Good luck to you all it's a rough road at first for some of us.

nice post. time is the best medicine for recovery. too much too soon can have adverse affect on recovery. follow your plan, listen to your doctor, listen to your gut. day 5 and I feel pretty good. learning to take in more fluids. everyone is different.

@@sweetcin I am on day 7, one thing that really seemed to work for me was to always, always take my nausea meds just before taking my pain medicine. I did this religiously and it has really worked.

Also force yourself to walk around at least once an hour.

It gets better! :)