Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got a Fit Bit today - tips?

My husband surprised me with a Fit Bit for my birthday today. I've got it all set up, but it already showed I burned 600 calories as soon as it was set up? What's up with that?

Also, I've been using My Fitness Pal to track my food ever since my surgery. Should I just abandon my account on there and log everything on my Fit Bit?

The FitBit takes into account the calories your burn by just being alive. You can integrate your FitBit with MFP, that's what I did and it's awesome!

And whatever time u set it up, it counted the calories u burned from midnight. I've had mine for about 3 weeks and still getting used to it. Sounds like alot of calories it burns for just doing nothing. And my sleep setting doesn't work well. Had to take back the original one cuz it didn't count my sleep at all. Now it counts 14-18 hrs for 6 hrs of sleep. Not sure why. I konk out after taking a sleeping pill about 10 and forget to tap it to put it to sleep. Just came up with the idea last nite to set my alarm on my phone for 10:30 to tap it. It worked! Finally!

Good luck!

Oh, and don't waste ur money on the 3 pack of extra color bands they have (3 for $27 at Best Buy). They have every color u can think of on ebay for like $3. I got a while gob of them.

Oh, and don't waste ur money on the 3 pack of extra color bands they have (3 for $27 at Best Buy). They have every color u can think of on ebay for like $3. I got a while gob of them.

Ooh, they do! And so many pretty colors. Thanks for the tip.

i have the flex and love it. Keeps track of steps too. I am long way from 10,000 but it sure helps me keep track of what i do walk a day. After surgery, I think i will really like it as it is fun to keep track of walking. I have not set up for sleep yet.

I love it and have it synced with My Fitness Pal where I enter my daily diet and Water. I love the fact that it even counts steps when I water walk. Do take it off when you're in a rocking chair or suddenly you'll have thousands of miles!

I love my Fitbit - my 10,000 step goal is a great way to compete with myself all day (longer route to the bathroom, walks during breaks, etc). Don't trust the calories burned thing, especially if you haven't had your RMR testing done -- My Fitbit calculates way more (like 300-500/day) calories burned than my RMR tests showed, so I try to ignore it now :) - I just stick to my eating plan instead.

One tip I will share is that if you work out with it on, like on a recumbent bike or elliptical, you have to specifically move your hands/wrists for it to pick up the effort. Nothing ticks me off more than doing 15 minutes on an elliptical and sweat like a pig, then have no "active minutes" counted! I do the recumbent elliptical daily at my gym, and I sort of snap my wrists in the handles to be sure I'm getting credit - I'm sure it looks dumb, but if I'm working out, I want the credit! :) LOL Otherwise, have fun with it, it's an awesome little tool.

Edited by Shells_Almost_There

Still considering getting one of these. Is this like the one any of you have? If so, do you like it?

http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Sleep-Wristband/dp/B00BGO0Q9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410648702&sr=8-1&keywords=fitbit

This is exactly the one I have. Got mine at Best Buy. Got extra colored bands on ebay (much cheaper and u get only the colors u want). I luv mine. Had to take the 1st one back cuz it didn't track my sleep. 2nd 1 tracks it about 50% of the time. I must be doing something wrong. Last nite I was at the fair. As we're walking out to the car, I checked it on my phone (u can sync it to ur smartphone). I was 5 steps from my goal (which I've only gotten once in the last 3 weeks). So the 4 of us loudly counted my 5 steps and I got a prize - my fitbit vibrates and lites up. So cool!

Good luck with it!

Hi all, I'm actually trying to sell my fitbit flex-it's pretty much brand new and I'm trying to sell the additional bands you can buy with it!!

Love my fitbit. It pushes me to achieve the goals I want

Edited by MarieMarie

I ❤️ my fitbit flex!! It keeps me going an motivated, because I'm constantly trying to get to 1st place! Lol.. FYI I'm a sore looser! ????

I started at about 7-8000 steps a day but I average about 16000-22000 a day now. I walk ALOT at work... At least 12000 a day are from work alone. I also like the alarm vibration to get me up;)