Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery from dilated estophugus

Has anyone successfully "fixed" a mildly dilated esophagus? My quick story - banded in 2007 - lost over 100 lbs easily (100% of excess). 2 years later pregnant with my first first and gained a ton when fill removed, lost 1/2 within one year so at this point total weight loss about 60lbs from surgery date. Got preg with second gained again but not as much but in the 2 years following had a very hard time getting my restriction back. I was diagnosed with minor dilation of the esophagus about 6 months ago. I had fill removed and just had an upper GI and was told by the radiologist that my estophogus is back to normal. My questions is has anyone successfully lost after having this complication?

I've not experienced this complication. But, why would one not be able to lose again? The band reduces our need to eat too much food or you can say it gives us more satiety from eating much smaller meals? So, as long as you're eating less food and you're eating healthy, you should be able to lose.

It's still a factor of burning more calories than you consume right? And since you've been so successful in the past, you should not have any problems doing it again?

tmf

Thanks for your response. This particular complication causes a lack of restriction because food goes up into the enlarged estopogus. I have read from studies that this is hard to fix once it has dilated one time, it can go back but tends to enlarge easily.

It is worth noting, in your case and in many other complications I read, the remedy is for the Dr to do a complete unfil....to give the band a rest, and let everything return to normal.

I give my band a rest every 6 weeks or so, just for good measure, by doing straight liquids for a few days, no solids at all.....after which I can tell - feel things are in tip top shape....(restriction if you choose)

If you're worried about the risk of dilation returning, then give it a try...can't hurt. Plus I feel it is helping, possibly preventing other things I won't go into.

kkbrod,

That does make sense. Sort of like one of those balloons they use to make balloon animals. The first few puffs are very difficult due to the balloon being so stiff, but once the balloon inflates(dilates) it's much easier to refill it with air.

If you decide to keep your band and continue to use it I would think it would be imperative that one would have to follow the eating rules to a T? No room for error? That's a lot of pressure/stress eh?

What alternatives has your bariatric surgeon given you? Removal, sleeve, Bypass?

I know for me, before my band was filled so I was in the green zone it still gave me some restriction/satiety. Now that I understand how much I have to chew and how slowly I must eat, I would think a slightly looser band would still urge me to eat less? Hoping you get this worked out?

tmf