Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

27 year old mom in research and hope phase

Hey all!

I am a 27 year old mom who is hoping to get sleeved at some point next year. Have struggled with my weight for 10+ years and am now in a weight management program through our local hospital which is required with my insurance if i want to get sleeved.

I am 5'4" and 227#, BMI of 38.8 currently.

I have 2 boys, 3 and 9 1/2 months

I guess I am just looking for some other women my age and similar measurements who were approved and were sleeved.

I am most worried about post-op and caring for the kids but i know my husband would help out a ton. I guess a month or two of limited mobility/lifting is worth a lifetime of memories with a healthy momma!

Please share your stories!

I see my weight program doctor next week for a check-up and i am going to initiate the sleeve conversation- i just dont want them to think that i am giving up. I just know that for long-term success i need this.

Thanks!

Hi MsMae, Congratulations on making a great decision. I wish I had done my surgery when I was 27. Great choice on your part. I am much older than you but I too am 5'4' and my weight started out at 261. Are you going to a WLS doctor or your GP? You meet height/weight qualifications but do you have any comorbidities/ health issues? Insurance companies generally look for those but sometimes you can qualify on just weight. The sleeve is awesome and you will love it (as will your husband) The healing process is pretty quick actually and at your age it should be a breeze. The first two weeks are difficult but after that you should be fine and you will soon have so much energy that your boys won't be able to keep up with you. :-) Good Luck to you and hope you can be sleeved soon.

<p>Hi MsMae, Congratulations on making a great decision. I wish I had done my surgery when I was 27. Great choice on your part. I am much older than you but I too am 5'4' and my weight started out at 261. Are you going to a WLS doctor or your GP? You meet height/weight qualifications but do you have any comorbidities/ health issues? Insurance companies generally look for those but sometimes you can qualify on just weight. The sleeve is awesome and you will love it (as will your husband) The healing process is pretty quick actually and at your age it should be a breeze. The first two weeks are difficult but after that you should be fine and you will soon have so much energy that your boys won't be able to keep up with you. :-) Good Luck to you and hope you can be sleeved soon. </p>

I don't have any Comorbidities; I just have acid relflux and some joint pain. My triglycerides were high as well. I just don't want to have to wait until I GET Comorbidities... Seems silly to me so hopefully since I am going through an approved weight loss program they will approve me.

I was seeing my GP and since I started the program I have been seeing their doctor/nurse practitioner. The lady I usually see in the program is the one who worked with my aunt to get her approved for her surgery. She had a lot more issues than I do though.

Thanks for the input!!!

Hey all!

I am a 27 year old mom who is hoping to get sleeved at some point next year. Have struggled with my weight for 10+ years and am now in a weight management program through our local hospital which is required with my insurance if i want to get sleeved.

I am 5'4" and 227#, BMI of 38.8 currently.

I have 2 boys, 3 and 9 1/2 months

I guess I am just looking for some other women my age and similar measurements who were approved and were sleeved.

I am most worried about post-op and caring for the kids but i know my husband would help out a ton. I guess a month or two of limited mobility/lifting is worth a lifetime of memories with a healthy momma!

Please share your stories!

I see my weight program doctor next week for a check-up and i am going to initiate the sleeve conversation- i just dont want them to think that i am giving up. I just know that for long-term success i need this.

Thanks!

Hi! I'm 26 and being sleeved on jan 9th of 2015! I have a daughter. You are not giving up! Your empowering your weight loss dream with an amazing tool. I had all those feelings as well. But the more I researched and spoke to post op people the more I realized how much I wanted what they had. As moms of young kids we have so much life yet to live. Let's do it feeling/looking good! ;)

Best of luck to you!