Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

I am 5 weeks post op RNY. I'm doing well and have lost 45 pounds. I walk 3 miles a day and have begun to do Tai Chi. I am trying to eat a variety of foods high in Protein, however, meat just seems so dry even with low fat gravy. chicken, tuna, fish, ham seem dry and then when I chew and chew they all seem to get dryer. And then they get up under my lip and it's not good. My nutritionist is helpful in that she encourages me but no real solutions. cheese, yogurt, chili etc are ok but I want a bit more variety. I will be going back to work the day after Labor Day and I want to feel comfortable eating my lunch there.

Any input is appreciated!

Mamie60

I am almost 6 months and I still keep it pretty simple. You might try lean lunchmeat ham or turkey etc wrapped on a low fat cheese stick (string cheese) I don't really enjoy meat... check out recipes from theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

She has some realy good ones

Shmily,

What do you eat for Fiber?

Edited by mamie60

Thanks I just checked out this blog. It will be helpful since I start work next week.

I am almost 6 months and I still keep it pretty simple. You might try lean lunchmeat ham or turkey etc wrapped on a low fat cheese stick (string cheese) I don't really enjoy meat... check out recipes from theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

She has some realy good ones

I eat quite a bit of fresh fruit like apple, grapes, cantalope, fresh pineaple, blueberries, mango, orange. I limit banana because of the high calories and carbs, I just put a few frozen slices in my shake. I buy in season and freeze where I can have them losose in a bag and keep them in the freezer. I also eat fresh peaches as we grow them locally. I am fortunate to have 28 apple trees. I love greek yogurt and cottage cheese and that goes quite well with some fresh fruit.

When consuming meats, I have found that I can tolerate them in Soups and chili. So that is primarily what I eat. Since I am 15 months post-op, my food volume means that I am consuming about 60 grams of Protein each day in my meals alone.

Maybe try a braise? Slow cooking meats in liquid at a lower temp should make it easier to chew and digest.

Try this: saute some chicken breasts or thighs in a pan with cooking spray until browned on both sides. Then add 1/2 c white wine, and stir it so you dissolve all the brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Then pour in some low fat chicken stock until about halfway up the chicken. Add a bit of salt and pepper, chopped garlic, some herbs like thyme or rosemary. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and let it braise another 15-30 minutes until you can pull it apart with a fork. Freezes fabulously, and you can shred it and put it in Soups too!

This stuff is great cold the next day in your lunch box!

All my Proteins are in liquid and that's the only way it goes down. Even then I struggle...I bought a slow cooker and made pull chicken and it was def worth it. I prefer minced meats vs tough and rough ones.

Another option besides the gravy is salsa.

I make a batch or two of fresh salsa each week and put it on almost everything I eat. eggs, chicken, steak etc...

It helps keep things moist and adds a ton of flavor while keeping things very simple.

I buy the individual cups of guacamole either moes or wholly and they are 100 calories I dip my meat in them and one of these little cups lasts me two meals. Worth the 50 extra calories for the bang of flavor. I also cook my fish in foil packets on the grill with veggies and a little nonstick Pam.. Stays moist and delicious.

Anyone have any food ideas for post op like 3 months out and longer, recipes and food sources maybe even eating out ideas and tips. I would be very interested in any of your ideas or methods.

Anyone have any food ideas for post op like 3 months out and longer, recipes and food sources maybe even eating out ideas and tips. I would be very interested in any of your ideas or methods.

I am 15 months post-op. Generally when I eat out, I might have a taco at Taco Bell, cup of chili at Wendy's or Tortelloni al Forno (small plate menu) at Olive Garden. I generally stick to high Protein Soups and chili at home. I have included some recipes in the linked article.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

When I eat out I order off of the appetizer menu.. Ahi tuna, shrimp cocktail, chicken skewers etc. If they don't have anything non carb I will ask the waiter if they could just cook a piece of fish for me.. Usually it's cheap too. For home I buy a rotisserie chicken on Sunday and pick pieces off for lunch with a teaspoon of black Beans and 1/2 a 100 calorie cup of Guac or I'll have shrimp with cocktail sauce I make (reduced sugar Heinz and some plain horseradish).. Dinners I usually make a foil pack of fish and veggies sprayed with Pam and put on the grill.

I also post my daily food on Instagram: allielee73