Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you bug your insurance company?

Still waiting on my approval. Did anyone out there call their insurance company often to find out if they were approved? I am very tempted to call!!

Yup! I did and luckily my insurance had a website that I could see when it was approved. I stalked that website and even still ended up calling to make sure. Lol

I called my insurance 3-4x a day! One night @ 6pm, it went to a recording instead of a person & have me approval #. I danced around the house.

I am waiting also. How long did you wait before calling them?

Yes! I've been calling my insurance since the 5th day (7/21/14) of them receiving my paperwork and everyday since! As of today I was told again that technically it's only been 22 of the at least 30 days for them to review and so far, they're short staffed on the decision making department but I should hear something maybe by Friday! :( I don't understand how they could leave a person in suspense for nearly the entire 30 days!! :( PS I was thinking to myself..... Decision making department read the paperwork and give the okay?!?..... What happened to medical doctors that actually understand the mechanism of obesity!!! But, I guess..... :(

Edited by waitingtoexhale

I called them on day 2 & every day after! I had anthem 1st & my husbands work changed insurance & didn't tell us, they had a 48 hour turnaround. They were great & friendly. They told me I could call as often as I wish, so I did.

Then with the new insurance, Cigna, yuk, they had a 5-10 day wait, but they also told me to call as often as I wish, once again I did! CALL !!!

Edited by laurie_k

They seemed really annoyed when I called yesterday. Just didn't want to wait the 30 days, only to find out I was denied. Just when I was starting to get down, I received a call from the WL Center. They had heard from my insurance and they were requesting a pulmonary clearance from my PCP. If that was all they wanted, sounds like I'm going to be having surgery soon. One quick call to my PCP for a fax to my WL clinic with the clearance was all it took. Hopefully, I will be hearing something sometime next week. Last nutrition appointment on 8/27. Getting my excitement back again!!!

Well, I bugged, and now I received word I have to have a Pulmonary Function Test. Hoping that is the only hurdle I will have to jump!!

I received a call today 8/26/14 informing that my VSG procedure was approved on Friday 8/22/14!! :) the insurance rep also stated that I have approval for the RNY too!!!

I absolutely did. My paperwork was sent in on 7/22. I patiently waited for what seemed like an eternity. After 2 weeks had passed, I could wait no longer so I called them every other day. Finally, on 8/15 I was told that my RNY was approved.

Yeah I called the insurance company and my clinic. And I'm glad I did because there were a lot of things that could have been done while I was going to the NUT instead of waiting after my 6 months which was March 28, 2014. I thought that I'd have my surgery by May, didn't happen. 2 sleep studies had to be done. Medical need form, didn't know I need that until I call to see if my medical records were sent out for approval. Call again, clinic and my primary doctor could't get a simple fax together. I call the clinic --call my doctor--call clinic (on and on). I was told that my paperwork was sent to the insurance company. Called insurance no paperwork. The clinic says Sent it out June 6th, June 19, and June 29. I kept calling insurance company finally got it July 6th. Called clinic haven't heard anything. Called insurance it could take up to 30 days. The clinic stated,"we tell everyone 30 days but, its usually less. Call insurance company, " it takes 30 days,but its week-days. Called insurance company, HAPPY, HAPPY, I am approved. Call Clinic they haven't been informed. "Could you call and get the approval number", sure I can do that. The insurance company"We don't give out numbers, we just send out the letter (WHAT). It felt good to complain. but seriously keep in contact with your doctor office and the insurance company so you can be aware of what is needed and make sure everyone is doing what needs to be done for you. It's only one of you and this is important to you,other people probably get so many forms and letters because it is a job for them. But actually this is your life and your goals.

I am waiting on approval and I am feeling so discouraged. The referral was submitted around the 15th of August. The surgeon and nutritionist didn't require a weight loss, but they are not wanting to see a gain. I am recently married and coping with a lot emotionlly. We are older and working through baggage, I guess. I am coming off a lot of prescription medications to prepare for surgery. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and the pain has been almost unbearable. I am hoping that losing 130# will take the stress off my joints and help me function better. My life has changed drastically since February. I am not sleeping and not saying on my diet as I should. food has been my crutch for 51 years. I am afraid of not being approved for RNY, but I am even more afraid of failing after the surgery. I read all of your stories and wish I could be as strong as you all are... has anyone else ever struggled with these feelings of discouragement, fear and shame?